FSD

It's FRIDAY!!!!! Who will we see spoiled today??

Ah yes, those pesky tolls.  ;)

Sidebar- I wonder how long it takes to prep one of these articles.  Perhaps the time between Thursday's Worlds flub and Friday wasn't enough time to prep an article to FFG's satisfaction.

1 hour ago, subtrendy2 said:

Sidebar- I wonder how long it takes to prep one of these articles.  Perhaps the time between Thursday's Worlds flub and Friday wasn't enough time to prep an article to FFG's satisfaction.

It's possible they need to be vetted by Lucasfilms before they can be published.

Just re-watched rogue one last night and Krennic doesn't suck that hard. He seems to be the only sane man in the room when surrounded by his fellows (at least twice in the movie he is the driving force for retaliation against rebel attacks), is frustrated that he doesn't receive due recognition for his efforts by Vader/Tarkin- (pet the dog already), and is unafraid to face his foes head on- ultimately leading to his death via death star. 

36 minutes ago, Gallanteer said:

I really hope it's NOT Rebels based and that it IS based on R1/Solo.

I can just about guarantee you that it's not based on Solo.

R1 is a possibility, but that means that the "teased" stuff is irrelevant. 

Speaking of which, I wonder if this wasn't a calculated move instead of an accident- a way to throw IA players a bit of a bone without doing much damage to Legion's hype yet. 

*puts on tinfoil hat over the tinfoil hat I was already wearing

31 minutes ago, subtrendy2 said:

I can just about guarantee you that it's not based on Solo.

R1 is a possibility, but that means that the "teased" stuff is irrelevant. 

Speaking of which, I wonder if this wasn't a calculated move instead of an accident- a way to throw IA players a bit of a bone without doing much damage to Legion's hype yet. 

*puts on tinfoil hat over the tinfoil hat I was already wearing

For a boxed expansion, Lothal will just give more desert tiles which we have plenty of already. R1 gives tropical tiles which would be a new locale. Rebels may have some good heroes and notable bad guys like Thrawn, but R1 gives you Death Troopers and Beach Troopers. Solo is even introducing Range Troopers and some new ground based vehicles.

As a campaign player R1 (and Solo) presents a lot wider scope of new stuff. Of course, both those movies will be during or just after Rebels so there is a possibility of mixing all three.

Skirmish players may just be happy with just new blister packs and playmats. I want new tiles and a new campaign as well. If all we get are just blister packs I'll be very disappointed.

Edited by Gallanteer

10 minutes ago, Gallanteer said:

For a boxed expansion, Lothal will just give more desert tiles which we have plenty of already. R1 gives tropical tiles which would be a new locale. Rebels may have some good heroes and notable bad guys like Thrawn, but R1 gives you Death Troopers and Beach Troopers. Solo is even introducing Range Troopers and some new ground based vehicles.

As a campaign player R1 (and Solo) presents a lot wider scope of new stuff. Of course, both those movies will be during or just after Rebels so there is a possibility of mixing all three.

Skirmish players may just be happy with just new blister packs and playmats. I want new tiles and a new campaign as well. If all we get are just blister packs I'll be very disappointed.

Lothal wouldn't be mostly dessert, it would be mostly plains and flatlands.  The difference may be subtle but it is definitely there.

And since we don't know the size of the box, its hard to tell what size the campaign would be.  If it is a small box, then it would be a great setting for lothal.  If it is a big box, I would think R1 would be a better choice all around.   

48 minutes ago, Gallanteer said:

Yeah, like Mad said, Lothal is more of a prairie/savannah setting.  Though I agree with you that beach tiles would be amazing as well.

The problem with a lot of the Rogue One stuff is that it would just feel out of place in Rebels.  Much the same reason as an Endor campaign would be awkward (and we still haven't gotten that one yet, despite it constantly being predicted) Scarif wouldn't really make sense for a setting.  Maybe there could be one mission that takes place on Scarif that would run parallel to the film's events (not unlike Return to Hoth's intro) but after that you're pretty much done with Scarif unless you want start adding in components from the new Fallout game.  :P

To be fair, though, I have advocated for other desert planets that could work.  Rakatta Prime, Kashyyyk, Mon Calamari, even parts of Naboo could work with that setting.  

Allies in campaign would actually be pretty limited if you want to even approach canon.

You can pretty much, unfortunately, count out Chirrut, Baze, and Bodhi.  Jyn and Saw are possible, but are also almost Merc aligned.  Really, the ones that would make the most sense by far are Cassian and K2.

But I think we both absolutely agree that we'd like a full boxed set.  Blisters are fun, but we've waited for this box for so long.  It's about time!  :D

Scarif? How boring. I'd strongly advocate for Lothal, and I wonder how unimaginative you have to be if the only thing that comes to your mind when you hear 'Lothal' is 'savannah'... :P You have urban settings with a unique feel different to Mos Eisley- or Coruscant-type urban tiles, you can introduce imperial factory tiles or tiles with mined terrain, you have mountainous areas, you have an ancient Jedi Temple with the potential of shifting tiles and maps changing during play, and then you have a world between worlds... You could even throw in a few Malachor-tiles into a Lothal-box and they wouldn't be out of place!

Edited by Fourtytwo

10 minutes ago, cnemmick said:

The article's back up.... https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/3/5/medal-ceremony/

and this is Captain Rex? fVTMVjT.png

Apparently.  He's named in the article.  Not sure why they gave him clone armor but not his iconic blue pads.  What are those orange things?

Maybe they were looking to bridge the character with this image, given the slightly similar poses?

image.png.1939d22ee0dad21ff3a7501aa857ea9e.png

Image result for rex endor

Anyway, anyone see any changes in the article?  Any reason they might have removed it on Thursday?  I'm still a little surprised that this came back out before anything IA got announced, but maybe they really were looking  to rerelease this the same day as the Rebels finale.

6 minutes ago, subtrendy2 said:

Apparently.  He's named in the article.  Not sure why they gave him clone armor but not his iconic blue pads.  What are those orange things?

Maybe they were looking to bridge the character with this image, given the slightly similar poses?

image.png.1939d22ee0dad21ff3a7501aa857ea9e.png

Image result for rex endor

Anyway, anyone see any changes in the article?  Any reason they might have removed it on Thursday?  I'm still a little surprised that this came back out before anything IA got announced, but maybe they really were looking  to rerelease this the same day as the Rebels finale.

I didn’t see any immediate changes/differences. Maybe it was for a different game? 

Not sure why people think rebels needs to be a new core, we've already got Hera, chopper, inquis, at-dp, sentry droids and I'm sure I'm missing something else rebels era specific. 

A big box does make sense though, death troopers don't have to be rogue one specific as they also show up with thrawn in rebels.

please don't make us wait until may ffg. 

What we are missing from Rebels:

Main heroes: Kanan, Ezra, Zeb, Sabine (, Rex)

Main villains: Thrawn, Rukh, Tarkin, several Inquisitors, early Kallus, ...

Other: Saw, Mandalorians, Hondo, Yoda, Clone Wars Veteran Droidekas, and MANY others ...

I'll wait till you Rebels fanboys have calmed down after the finale before adding much else to this thread but here are some more thoughts.

I was a big supporter of a 'Help the Bothans steal the DS2 plans' campaign and still am. 

Thrawn would fit in with Scarif - the DS wasn't based there it was simply a secure facility holding lots of secret plans etc so would have been around during Rebels.

Beach tiles would also fit with Corellia (from what we have seen of the Solo trailer). I imagine that the events of Solo happen during the Rebels timezone.

Other locales that might work - Mustafa (Darth Vaders stronghold), Lothal (dust - not sand as you have all pointed out), Crait (it was an old Rebel base) and a swamp based location (but not Dagobah) where only certain paths allow standard movement, the rest are all slogging through deep water.

Edited by Gallanteer

3 hours ago, Gallanteer said:

I'll wait till you Rebels fanboys have calmed down after the finale before adding much else to this thread but here are some more thoughts.

I was a big supporter of a 'Help the Bothans steal the DS2 plans' campaign and still am. 

I still wouldn't hold your breath for that one.  I'd imagine LFL is keenly reserving that time, either for a comic, book, or maybe even a movie.

In the long run, Imperial Assault isn't much to them.  We're not gonna get storylines that tie directly into canon.  For instance, a Lothal campaign isn't likely to deal with destroying the TIE Defender factory, or the far more spoilery thing about Lothal.  Instead, it would probably be a new story, like if there was a secret turret factory near the Defender factory that the Alliance wanted destroyed.

Kinda like how Jabba's Realm isn't about trying to rescue Han, or how The Bespin Gambit isn't about rescuing Leia and Chewbacca in Cloud City.  We get original stuff, which is fun, too.

I guess for a similar thing to a DS2 thing, we could see a space-based campaign where we're trying to find the plans to an experimental Star Destroyer or something.  

2 hours ago, Gallanteer said:

That would be very fun that's for sure.  Everything that feels my gameplay actions are actually related somehow to the movies, TV shows, comic books, etc,  stuff enhance the thematic experience!

2 hours ago, Gallanteer said:

Thrawn would fit in with Scarif - the DS wasn't based there it was simply a secure facility holding lots of secret plans etc so would have been around during Rebels.

Scarif would be great, but it could potentially have a déjà-vu feel.  I like playing thematically but I would certainly not want a campaign that mimic Rogue One, unless it happens during Rogue One (I'm not sure how they would do that as it is clear from the movie that the DS plans were the only unofficial/unapproved purpose of that mission).   

8 minutes ago, subtrendy2 said:

I still wouldn't hold your breath for that one.  I'd imagine LFL is keenly reserving that time, either for a comic, book, or maybe even a movie.

In the long run, Imperial Assault isn't much to them.  We're not gonna get storylines that tie directly into canon.  For instance, a Lothal campaign isn't likely to deal with destroying the TIE Defender factory, or the far more spoilery thing about Lothal.  Instead, it would probably be a new story, like if there was a secret turret factory near the Defender factory that the Alliance wanted destroyed.

Kinda like how Jabba's Realm isn't about trying to rescue Han, or how The Bespin Gambit isn't about rescuing Leia and Chewbacca in Cloud City.  We get original stuff, which is fun, too.

I guess for a similar thing to a DS2 thing, we could see a space-based campaign where we're trying to find the plans to an experimental Star Destroyer or something.  

That's true, but we do get missions sometimes  (but not entire storyline that drives a campaign I agree) that directly tie in with canon, like 

The Battle of Hoth, the bane mission about Chewie going after bounty hunters to learn more about the carbonite frozen Han, the bane escape from Cloud City mission that is some sort of aftermath of the ESB second part of the movie (All missions from RtH campaign).  Also, I think the bardottan shard from HotE campaign was initially part of storyline from the clone wars animated series(?)  

Maybe they cannot go as far as having the heroes accompany the bothans on their way to steal DS2 plans but maybe they could have the heroes doing a  decoy mission in the meantime while the bothans do there job elsewhere (that is dying to  bring us this information) 

1 hour ago, IanSolo_FFG said:

That's true, but we do get missions sometimes  (but not entire storyline that drives a campaign I agree) that directly tie in with canon, like 

Hide contents

The Battle of Hoth, the bane mission about Chewie going after bounty hunters to learn more about the carbonite frozen Han, the bane escape from Cloud City mission that is some sort of aftermath of the ESB second part of the movie (All missions from RtH campaign).  Also, I think the bardottan shard from HotE campaign was initially part of storyline from the clone wars animated series(?)  

Maybe they cannot go as far as having the heroes accompany the bothans on their way to steal DS2 plans but maybe they could have the heroes doing a  decoy mission in the meantime while the bothans do there job elsewhere (that is dying to  bring us this information) 

True...  

Some spoilers for like every campaign.

Right, but those things are all pretty tangental.  On Hoth, we're in the middle of the battle, but on a different front than what we see in the movie.

For the Chewie mission, it's basically the prelude to the prelude of finding Han.  You're looking to interrogate a Trandoshan who basically knows a guy who knows where Han is located.

For the Bardottan Shard comes from the Bardottan Sphere, which was in a (confusing and kinda bad) series of episodes in the Clone Wars.

Basically, we're often echoing the action, but never in the middle of it.  We're like the shadows of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern (or if you preger Tagg and Bink), in a way. 

In the core campaign, we have a clever play on the Death Star secret weapon story, with the twist being that the weapon doesn't even exist.

In Hoth, we see the remnants of the refugees of the battle (refugees we never really see in the films anyway, with the assumption being that the survivors of the battle retreated with the Alliance fleet.

In the Bespin Gambit, we see the aftermath of Bespin and literally end up throwing the bad guy in the Carbon freezing chamber.

In Jabba's Realm, we have to rescue our "friends" (but not Han!) from Jabba's clutches, with two finales reminiscent of two Jabba scenes from ROTJ.

If anything, I'd say that Heart of the Empire is probably the most unique campaign so far, and I think it benefits from not having to mimic the movies too badly.

I guess we could probably have a DSII plans single mission, in which we do something that prepares for the mission.  Maybe we have to work with some Bothans to secure a few Y-Wings for the heist.  But I don't see the mission itself appearing, and probably not a full campaign about it either.  I totally think it'd be cool to have more meaningful campaigns like this, but I think HotE's method is the way to go.

13 hours ago, subtrendy2 said:

It could. There could be significant time between Phoenix Squadron discovering the TIE Defender factories in Season 3 and the events of Season 4. The plot could involve another group of heroes to keep pressure on Thrawn's project... and split his attention.