FSD

It's FRIDAY!!!!! Who will we see spoiled today??

There's a season 3 episode of Rebels where Thrawn is pretty handy at melee - he's sparring with two sentry droids, and then later with the rebels. Not saying he should be a melee demon, but he's certainly no bystander.

Thrawn's approach in Rebels is more about reducing their ability to keep escaping and running; gradually reducing options to get away and using detective work to uncover who is who.

I'd therefore like to see his abilities a little more focused on hindering the rebel player as opposed to buffing the imperials. Forcing rerolls, removing command cards, increasing threat all sound thematic. some of this, combined with some capability to boost imperial troops, would be lovely. 

31 minutes ago, subtrendy2 said:

So I've been wondering what Thrawn can bring to the table.  Imperials already have options for giving out attacks and movement, via Palpatine and officers.

As a support character, I wouldn't mind seeing Thrawn do a couple things:

-  Give out Focus tokens (not unlike Jabba or threepio)

- Give out wild power tokens

-Increase threat (in campaign)

I think the options given by these would be relatively new to the Empire, and fit well with Thrawn's more strategic approaches

I guess another thing could be for Thrawn to act as a sort of bonus to a unit type, not unlike Sorin is for vehicles or Kayn is for troopers.  Just, not really sure what he would work with.  Maybe Thrawn could make all other officers more effective somehow?

I really liked the suggestion from one of the other threads to give him a double action ability to give your opponent the initiative token. Counteracts the inherent weakness in the Empire where they almost never get the last activation against non-Imperial lists, and it fits in with the theme of preventing your opponent from escaping and running. But that would only be useful on half of the turns, so multiple abilities, a la Jabba would be awesome, especially Scheme, since the Empire lacks card draw.

18 hours ago, subtrendy2 said:

Also, one dip into the rabbit hole real fast- if we're getting all three of those supposed characters, it sounds like a box wave to me, since it's often one unit per faction.  But that's speculation on speculation at this point.

I was thinking this too. Death troopers would be a great way to sell a small box expansion.  I could see getting two sets of two of them, similar to Heavy Stormtroopers. It would make sense to have a small box, centered on Lothal, with Thrawn as one of the main villains, Rex as an ally and some interesting new terrain. Of course, if that were the case, we'd probably get two new Hero's:) Who would likely be early rebellion members. Generally one male and one female....

And for Mercs, maybe Rook? Or some partisans? Or a Devonian arms dealer? For a small box, I'd expect 4-6 mercs. Not sure who that would be in a Lothal box.

Of course, this is probably all a pipe-dream and will probably be defunct before I finish day-dream-typing.

1 hour ago, subtrendy2 said:

Regardless, I'd love to see Krennic come to this game, too.  If not only just for his really cool cape.

But only if his cape does not really fit the miniature, as it did with the character in the movie - very thematic for a character who envisioned himself to be one of the big fish until he was faced with the real big fish (Tarkin and Vader) and was forced to realize how timid and small he was. :D

In the debate: Thrawn vs Krennic. It's no contest. Krennic shows absolutely no fighting skills what-so-ever. He's useless without a couple of death troopers at his side.  Thrawn is cool under fire on the battlefield (takes pop-shots at a tie defender doing a strafing run at him), shows some serious fighting and strategic capabilities even on his own in the book, and is very capable in hand-to-hand combat. At best, Krennic will just blind his enemies with some spittle. I love krennic in R1, but let's face it, he's an engineer- and not even that good of one.

24 minutes ago, VadersMarchKazoo said:

In the debate: Thrawn vs Krennic. It's no contest. Krennic shows absolutely no fighting skills what-so-ever. He's useless without a couple of death troopers at his side.  Thrawn is cool under fire on the battlefield (takes pop-shots at a tie defender doing a strafing run at him), shows some serious fighting and strategic capabilities even on his own in the book, and is very capable in hand-to-hand combat. At best, Krennic will just blind his enemies with some spittle. I love krennic in R1, but let's face it, he's an engineer- and not even that good of one.

cant argue there^Image result for krennic crying

So you are telling me he is as cowardly and weak as a normal imperial officer? That we should just convert and merge an Imperial officer and a Lando model together to make him?

Edited by King_Balrog

I picture Thrawn to have a skirmish ability a lot like Verena Talos' ability Close Quarters. I also imagine him to have Parry/Dodge or something crazy. But mainly I'd expect him to be like a Jabba'ish type character where he's doing a lot of "behind the scenes" / "in the back" type things to really get Imperial/Empire - Troopers/Leaders going.

~D

2 hours ago, turkishvancat said:

I really liked the suggestion from one of the other threads to give him a double action ability to give your opponent the initiative token. Counteracts the inherent weakness in the Empire where they almost never get the last activation against non-Imperial lists, and it fits in with the theme of preventing your opponent from escaping and running. But that would only be useful on half of the turns, so multiple abilities, a la Jabba would be awesome, especially Scheme, since the Empire lacks card draw.

That's @erlucius90's work, and it's fine work. (Even though I'm debating him about it on the created-content channel of boardwars.eu's Discord.)

1 minute ago, Fightwookies said:

I at least thought they'd try to get the World's prizes back up

Right?  Their tweet say it'll be "back up as soon as possible."

I wonder if they're in a dilemma of not wanting to announce this expansion on the eve of Legion, but having their hands tied at this point.  

Unless the issue with that article was something else entirely.  But it just seems to fit so well.

1 hour ago, IanSolo_FFG said:

I played Imperial Assault last week, I played IA this week too and I plan to play IA next week too.  Not it's definitely not dead! :) 

you're wrong....that is they very definition of a dead game*

*according to tolls