FSD

It's FRIDAY!!!!! Who will we see spoiled today??

Sooooooooo there's this:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/270775-worlds-prizes-posted/

In the worlds prizes we've got Thrawn, Death Troopers and Captain Rex all represented.  But this game is dead, right? ;)

We've been so focused on Legion, but I wonder if IA isn't being delayed waiting for the last episode of rebels?  I don't watch it, but I understand that's happening soon?  If we're getting things like Thrawn and Rex they may just want to wait until that storyline plays itself out.

2 minutes ago, TallGiraffe said:

Well just cosmetic stuff. But still.

As far as I can tell, no other skirmish map features characters not in the game.

It's definitely intriguing, especially with the doubling down on Thrawn.

Assuming all three make it into the game: 

Rex is a great choice.  A trooper hero is pretty unique, at least in campaign.

Thrawn is interesting.  Not sure how I feel about two very support-centric (we can assume) Imperial villains released back to back.  He'd at least look good on the board.

Deathtroopers seem like a given, but I'm excited to see how these "best of the best" units could be brought in.  And like Thrawn, they'll look great on the board, especially painted (and as far as trooper groups go, at least they don't have white armor).

Tomorrow still seems like a long shot (or any time before Legion's release) but the fact that this dropped today has me wondering now.  Maybe the next wave was going to be announced earlier, and these prizes showcased after, but it was delayed?

Also, one dip into the rabbit hole real fast- if we're getting all three of those supposed characters, it sounds like a box wave to me, since it's often one unit per faction.  But that's speculation on speculation at this point.

This is also from the Worlds Prizes article:

Finally, the World Champion wins The Greatest Prize in Gaming, a chance to interact with the game's developers to inspire the design of a future card… and with all the tactical surprises you can pack into a game of Imperial Assault, the possibilities are nearly endless!

That seems pretty clear evidence Imperial Assault has some way to go yet. Any future card would take a chunk of time to plan and create so at the earliest it would be released in the wave after next. A good sign if nothing else!

3 minutes ago, maddwarfer said:

This is also from the Worlds Prizes article:

That seems pretty clear evidence Imperial Assault has some way to go yet. Any future card would take a chunk of time to plan and create so at the earliest it would be released in the wave after next. A good sign if nothing else!

So what you're saying is... Dagobah box confirmed?

14 hours ago, MadFuhrer said:

HAHAHAHAHAHA they took the article down.  Looks like someone in marketing is getting a stern talking to about putting up spoilers for future content XD.

Yeah, if that's the reason the article was pulled, I don't see what choice they had.  They either had to postpone the article (seems dumb for just one game), leave out the spoilery stuff out (would be tough, considering that includes the First Place prize), or just try to sneak it in like they did.

They said they'd have the article back up ASAP, so again, assuming this is the case, I'd say we can reasonably expect an article today.  Key word being "assuming" of course, and we know what that makes of you and me.  ;)

55 minutes ago, subtrendy2 said:

Yeah, if that's the reason the article was pulled, I don't see what choice they had.  They either had to postpone the article (seems dumb for just one game), leave out the spoilery stuff out (would be tough, considering that includes the First Place prize), or just try to sneak it in like they did.

They said they'd have the article back up ASAP, so again, assuming this is the case, I'd say we can reasonably expect an article today.  Key word being "assuming" of course, and we know what that makes of you and me.  ;)

assuming ... like in Imperial Assuming ;) 

3 minutes ago, AphraFanBoy said:

Maybe it was just a little sizzle to let us know we're not forgotten... just wait until we've offloaded all this legion stuff. 

They could have simply done that with a tweet. They didn't need to spoil Thrawn and death troopers. 1 Tweet stating IA expansions are in the works would have been enough. We were left hanging for months and months. I have been refreshing the page over and over and getting disappointed for weeks on end. Now I know my favorite game isn't going anywhere, I  am good. 

So I've been wondering what Thrawn can bring to the table.  Imperials already have options for giving out attacks and movement, via Palpatine and officers.

As a support character, I wouldn't mind seeing Thrawn do a couple things:

-  Give out Focus tokens (not unlike Jabba or threepio)

- Give out wild power tokens

-Increase threat (in campaign)

I think the options given by these would be relatively new to the Empire, and fit well with Thrawn's more strategic approaches

I guess another thing could be for Thrawn to act as a sort of bonus to a unit type, not unlike Sorin is for vehicles or Kayn is for troopers.  Just, not really sure what he would work with.  Maybe Thrawn could make all other officers more effective somehow?

Edited by subtrendy2

3 minutes ago, subtrendy2 said:

I guess another thing could be for Thrawn to act as a sort of bonus to a unit type, not unlike Sorin is for vehicles or Kayn is for troopers.  Just, not really sure what he would work with.  Maybe Thrawn could make all other officers more effective somehow?

An officer's officer...neat idea.

2 minutes ago, subtrendy2 said:

So I've been wondering what Thrawn can bring to the table.  Imperials already have options for giving out attacks and movement, via Palpatine and officers.

As a support character, I wouldn't mind seeing Thrawn do a couple things:

-  Give out Focus tokens (not unlike Jabba or threepio)

- Give out wild power tokens

-Increase threat (in campaign)

I think the options given by these would be relatively new to the Empire, and fit well with Thrawn's more strategic approaches

Nothing wrong with Thrawn, but its a shame they didn't use Orson Krennic instead. He seems to take more of an active role in combat by comparison.

4 minutes ago, King_Balrog said:

Nothing wrong with Thrawn, but its a shame they didn't use Orson Krennic instead. He seems to take more of an active role in combat by comparison.

Yeah, it's kind of an interesting conundrum.  What we see of Krennic in Rogue One pits him very much on the frontlines, and I think they do that pretty purposefully.  That's why, even in the very beginning, we see him on Lah'mu, trekking through the tall grass with his troopers.  

With Thrawn, I typically picture him more aboard the bridge of a Star Destroyer than on a battlefield.  This... this isn't my favorite way to picture Thrawn.

Image result for thrawn attolon

However, if it came down to it, I have no doubt Thrawn is a far more effective combatant than Krennic.  Much like Sherlock Holmes, Thrawn relies on his intellect pretty heavily, but can handily hold his own in a fight if he has to.

Regardless, I'd love to see Krennic come to this game, too.  If not only just for his really cool cape.

Edited by subtrendy2

5 minutes ago, King_Balrog said:

Personally I see both of them as officers and admirals with no place on the ground, but folks love Thrawn so I guess we'll get Thrawn. It makes a lot of sense to put him in Armada, maybe even a case could be made to put him in Legion, but I wouldn't be stoked for Krennic or Thrawn in Imperial Assault Skirmish. Them Deathtroopers though, like hurry up and gimme gimme.

6 minutes ago, subtrendy2 said:

Yeah, it's kind of an interesting conundrum.  What we see of Krennic in Rogue One pits him very much on the frontlines, and I think they do that pretty purposefully.  That's why we see him on Lah'mu, trekking through the tall grass with his troopers.  

With Thrawn, I typically picture him more aboard the bridge of a Star Destroyer than on a battlefield.  This... this isn't my favorite way to picture Thrawn.

Image result for thrawn attolon

However, if it came down to it, I have no doubt Thrawn is a far more effective combatant than Krennic.  Much like Sherlock Holmes, Thrawn relies on his intellect pretty heavily, but can handily hold his own in a fight if he has to.

Regardless, I'd love to see Krennic come to this game, too.  If not only just for his really cool cape.

Its not like Thrawn is a jedi/sith in adaptability in a fight. He'd fall to a blaster shot as quickly as anybody. I think ability and skill wise they are very similar- with one more focused on engineering/weapons development using ranged weaponry and a squad of elite troopers; the other focusing on space naval combat with a better grasp on squad tactics/ traps.  1v1 I think Krennic would beat Thrawn in a blaster fight (due to the tech he could muster) and lose in a martial arts battle.

Edited by King_Balrog

1 minute ago, King_Balrog said:

Its not like Thrawn is a jedi/sith in adaptability in a fight. He'd fall to a blaster shot as quickly as anybody. I think ability and skill wise they are very similar- with one more focused on engineering/weapons development using ranged weaponry and a squad of elite troopers; the other focusing on space naval combat with a better grasp on squad tactics/ traps.  1v1 I think Krennic would beat Thrawn in a blaster fight (do to the tech he could muster) and lose in a martial arts battle.

Eh, I mean we'll obviously never know, but in the book Thrawn proves himself pretty ruthless in combat.  From what I remember, in the first few chapters he even manages some pretty effective guerrilla warfare against significantly bad odds.

Anyway, does anyone recognize any of the art from that article?  Because I guess it's always possible that we're not getting these characters- but at the same time, I'd be really surprised if the art was created only for the prizes.

4 minutes ago, subtrendy2 said:

Anyway, does anyone recognize any of the art from that article?  Because I guess it's always possible that we're not getting these characters- but at the same time, I'd be really surprised if the art was created only for the prizes.

The buildings behind Thrawn and the Deathtroopers definitely remind me of Capital City on Lothal.

Image result for capital city lothal star wars