FSD

It's FRIDAY!!!!! Who will we see spoiled today??

2 hours ago, FrogTrigger said:

oh wow, HOTE was May 5th, I didn't think it had been THAT long.

Ok we are definitely due here, it will be 7 weeks on Wednesday.

Yeah... we went from 1/13 to 3/21 with no news in the Droids wave, but that was also considered quite a drought.  We're not quite at that mark yet, but we're getting close.  

Though, at least during that time, we got some announcements outside o the wave.  

4 hours ago, DerBaer said:

... or a new Core Set?

How long do FFG games last from one edition to the next? The original core box was released in 2014?

I don't know for certain, but I'd think that they'd try to pull and X-Wing-like option and release a new core set that isn't just a rerelease of the old stuff but more of a play into a different era.  I could see a new Core set for the ST, but also maybe something for early GCW like Rogue One and Rebels stuff.

In fact, considering all the fixes that come with HotE and the fact that it's a significant shift from our typical campaigns, maybe this is the new core set, minus the necessary components for new players.  A sort of philosophical second edition.

edit: I don't know a lot about D&D style roleplaying games, but that Genesys game looks pretty cool.

Edited by subtrendy2

3 hours ago, subtrendy2 said:

edit: I don't know a lot about D&D style roleplaying games, but that Genesys game looks pretty cool.

I haven't looked too closely at it yet, but it just looks like the Edge of the Empire RPG stripped of the Star Wars theme.

Just now, Union said:

I haven't looked too closely at it yet, but it just looks like the Edge of the Empire RPG stripped of the Star Wars theme.

Yeah, like I said, I wouldn't really recognize if it has similar gameplay to anything or not.  But stripped of theme is probably pretty accurate, as it appears to be pretty open-ended.

A Terrinoth RPG would be pretty epic, especially given the variety of games you could pull elements from like tokens, miniatures, terrain, boards etc.. it would be an endless resource and would also in turn help drive those sales indirectly.

I don't have a ton of experience with the Star Wars RPG system, I just have one of the beginner boxes, but myself and my friends all agreed the dice system is really cool. This is not an experienced D&D squad, but I don't know how you could ever prefer rolling in a number range versus interpreting the dice system the way it is set up. Seems like it just beckons you to use your imagination.

17 minutes ago, FrogTrigger said:

A Terrinoth RPG would be pretty epic, especially given the variety of games you could pull elements from like tokens, miniatures, terrain, boards etc.. it would be an endless resource and would also in turn help drive those sales indirectly.

I don't have a ton of experience with the Star Wars RPG system, I just have one of the beginner boxes, but myself and my friends all agreed the dice system is really cool. This is not an experienced D&D squad, but I don't know how you could ever prefer rolling in a number range versus interpreting the dice system the way it is set up. Seems like it just beckons you to use your imagination.

I've been eager to try one of the beginner boxes.

5 minutes ago, neosmagus said:

I've been eager to try one of the beginner boxes.

I highly recommend it. They do a great job of laying out a pretty cool (while linear) story line (I did the Force and Destiny one) which is perfect for learning the mechanics of the game. You definitely have some Jedi moments but its also clear the characters are still learning. The layout of the pre made characters is great to they advance in complexity as the story does, so at first you just learn the basics then they introduce a little more, a little more, then some character progression etc..

It also comes with a great map, tokens and a dice system. It has a mini rules book as well. And after you finish the included quest (which takes either 2 short sessions or one medium-long session) there is a free quest on the website you can download to continue on with those characters that should last another 2 sessions. So by the end of all that your group should have a pretty good idea if this is for them. Then they can either bring the pre mades with them into their new adventure you create, or make their own which is even more fun! 

I bought the GM screen as well and it is very useful, lots of good information and great thematic art on the other side for the players. Bang for your buck the RPG starter boxes are one of the best values out there for a FFG product.

1 hour ago, FrogTrigger said:

I highly recommend it. They do a great job of laying out a pretty cool (while linear) story line (I did the Force and Destiny one) which is perfect for learning the mechanics of the game. You definitely have some Jedi moments but its also clear the characters are still learning. The layout of the pre made characters is great to they advance in complexity as the story does, so at first you just learn the basics then they introduce a little more, a little more, then some character progression etc..

It also comes with a great map, tokens and a dice system. It has a mini rules book as well. And after you finish the included quest (which takes either 2 short sessions or one medium-long session) there is a free quest on the website you can download to continue on with those characters that should last another 2 sessions. So by the end of all that your group should have a pretty good idea if this is for them. Then they can either bring the pre mades with them into their new adventure you create, or make their own which is even more fun! 

I bought the GM screen as well and it is very useful, lots of good information and great thematic art on the other side for the players. Bang for your buck the RPG starter boxes are one of the best values out there for a FFG product.

I'll add a +1 to your comment.

I'd never GMed an RPG before and I could count the number of sessions that I'd played in one on two hands.  About a month ago I ran the Edge of the Empire beginner mission for my usual Imperial Assault opponent (who had never played at all) and for my wife, who didn't know what an RPG was and had never seen Star Wars (I know, I know).  We cracked opened the box and a few hours later and we were having a blast, complete with the crazy unscripted misadventures of a cranky, stolen dewback named Thom.

Life's been in the way a bit and we haven't come together again to run the downloadable scenarios that continue that story, but there's still a standing plan to get back to it at some point.  If you've ever thought about RPGs but don't have a group with a GM who knows what they are doing I don't think you could find a better starting point than one of these beginner boxes.

Edited by ManateeX

43 minutes ago, naitsirk said:

Are we sure that imperial assault is not just in our imagination?

If that's the case, I've paid a lot of money for my imagination to spit out real things. And that doesn't work for anything else my imagination comes up with, like "real-life X-Wing that actually flies" and "I lose 50 pounds overnight".

:D

Edited by cnemmick
smile!

4 hours ago, cnemmick said:

If that's the case, I've paid a lot of money for my imagination to spit out real things. And that doesn't work for anything else my imagination comes up with, like "real-life X-Wing that actually flies" and "I lose 50 pounds overnight".

:D

Here in the UK, buying Imperial Assault stuff in Sterling, it's very easy to lose 50 pounds overnight... ?

3 minutes ago, Stompburger said:

I try to treat every day as a new opportunity to be disappointed.

Huh, I can't tell if that's inspiring or not...

Kinda reminds me of that Inspirobot thing.  Supposedly it's an AI that was programmed to make inspirational quotes, but got corrupted and now it either says nonsensical or depressing things.  Here's an example it just generated for me:

aXm4568xjU.jpg

Edited by subtrendy2

6 minutes ago, subtrendy2 said:

Kinda reminds me of that Inspirobot thing.  Supposedly it's an AI that was programmed to make inspirational quotes, but got corrupted and now it either says nonsensical or depressing things.  Here's an example it just generated for me:

aXm4568xjU.jpg

DANGER! DANGER!

(This is addicting...)