FSD

It's FRIDAY!!!!! Who will we see spoiled today??

Posted (edited)
On 4/18/2019 at 6:33 PM, Armandhammer said:

Any hardcore IA fans pick up Lord of the Rings: Journey in Middle Earth?

How does it compare?

Very similar to IA's app adventures. Main difference is all of a character's skills/abilities cards form into a deck- that is used to determine success odds instead of rolling a dice. (Success icons are in the top left corner and are "cashed in" to determine victory or defeat. (Think surges))

Skill checks, attacks, and different abilities all use the deck to determine success or failure (think the way you cycle through a deck in solitaire) you may not need a card now, but you will cycle back to it at some point to probably use it later.

--------------------------------------------------

3 different potential odds on a card to determine success or failure:

Compass/star in top left corner = Success

Leaf in top left corner of card = can potentialy become a success if you have a buff called inspiration to cash in (think a focus in IA) otherwise it's a fail. You gain inspiration by completing objectives. Each individual character can hold a certain amount of Inspiration at a time.

Blank space in top left corner = fail.

You play the game using your warriors to move around a large country map; each space you can move to is like a state within a country. You can explore, do attribute tests (think terminals or doors in IA) and talk to random people aside from fighting LOTR enemies. The map changes if you enter a dungeon or fort. (think the difference from being inside a house or going outside in the world) You conduct combat and interactions as usual, but you tend to fight more enemies and a boss in these locations. Interactive buffs are littered around the battlemap such as bushes to hide in , boulders to hide behind, walls that block your path and etc.

Edited by King_Balrog

9 hours ago, King_Balrog said:

Very similar to IA's app adventures.

Thanks for the detailed reply!

I'm a big LOTR fan but I'm on the fence with this one. The lack of enemy variety and the just okay reviews are holding me back.

But I really like the card based gameplay and the roles you can select for each hero.

8 minutes ago, Armandhammer said:

Thanks for the detailed reply!

I'm a big LOTR fan but I'm on the fence with this one. The lack of enemy variety and the just okay reviews are holding me back.

But I really like the card based gameplay and the roles you can select for each hero.

It looks really fun to play solo, or with a small group of friends (3), they plan to have expansions as the game goes on (similar to IA). Currently the orcs, goblins, bandit men, trolls, wargs, and barrow wights(?), function as groups in IA, either regular or elite, in numbers up to 3 units per group.

^I have also seen one of each of the above creatures becoming a single unit mini-boss with higher stats and additional abilities compared to an elite version of the unit.

There is already a small miniature box coming with 3 new persistent Arch-Boss characters to add to the fun.  An Orc Warboss, a Warg pack leader, and something that looks kinda like the Mouth of Sauron(Black Numenorian?)

(as well as new deck cards and etc. to expand the game) 

They are more like Vader, IG-88, or Jedi-Luke than the average mini-boss unit.

5 hours ago, Pollux85 said:

*Sigh* I know it's not gonna change, but I still find myself checking the website every day looking for an update without even thinking about it

Yup, me too...   like "oh this is going to be such a cool surprise when I check the FFG site and there is some great new stuff announced after all!"... "nope, nothing... again...  hmm, maybe I should buy Journeys to Middle Earth..."

I really think it would have been a smart business move to just include IA deployment cards with new Legion plastic...  but it's not going to happen. 

I've really been enjoying the Jabba's realm app with my kids.  Do you reckon they'll do a HotE app too?

13 hours ago, Mandelore of the Rings said:

maybe I should buy Journeys to Middle Earth..."

You wont regret it. The class system in the game is very entertaining though combat can be swingy (you either wipe out enemies without them being able to respond or don't have enough inspiration and watch helplessly as you waste an action to deal 2 damage to an enemy with 8hp- this is a problem because each mission is on a slow burning time clock based upon how quickly you respond to threats)

The modular maps are very fun to participate in and you never know what types of enemies appear to hunt you down. I've noticed my team and i play best if we use two characters to focus on missions and one to both tank all damage and slay enemies as the Guardian Class (able to block damage)

Inspiration is the most useful and necessary focus in the game, when you have a lot you feel like a champion, when you don't have enough you feel like a bum.

10 minutes ago, King_Balrog said:

You wont regret it. The class system in the game is very entertaining though combat can be swingy (you either wipe out enemies without them being able to respond or don't have enough inspiration and watch helplessly as you waste an action to deal 2 damage to an enemy with 8hp- this is a problem because each mission is on a slow burning time clock based upon how quickly you respond to threats)

The modular maps are very fun to participate in and you never know what types of enemies appear to hunt you down. I've noticed my team and i play best if we use two characters to focus on missions and one to both tank all damage and slay enemies as the Guardian Class (able to block damage)

Inspiration is the most useful and necessary focus in the game, when you have a lot you feel like a champion, when you don't have enough you feel like a bum.

I have been strongly leaning to buying "Journeys" myself, and I keep getting tempted to, but there are other members of our game group that would prefer to go in on Gloomhaven at some point. I have heard of some passing similarities, but curious if you had a take on that?

With that being said, our group still has the Heart of the Empire expansion that we will get to. We're currently playing Betrayal: Legacy after two campaigns of IA and a really rough first session of Starfinder (I'm more into board games than RPG's proper), and a failed campaign of Dragonfire. I have a strong feeling that we'll continue to come back to IA, just because we do have so much fun with it.

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Kunitzu San said:

Gloomhaven- I have heard of some passing similarities, but curious if you had a take on that?

No i've never tried to play it. Probably wont as I only have one other friend who plays boardgames in general. (unless we go to a gaming hobby store and play with randos)

I can attest that lord of the rings is fun, and does offer a decent challenge, it plays very similarly to IA. I can say that i did miss rolling dice at first, but the card system works just as well, and you will learn to appreciate it.

May be worth a shot if ya'll are willing to pony up the $100.

Sorry I cant be more help.

Ill be happy to answer any questions you may have about LOTR though.

Edited by King_Balrog

5 hours ago, Kunitzu San said:

I have been strongly leaning to buying "Journeys" myself, and I keep getting tempted to, but there are other members of our game group that would prefer to go in on Gloomhaven at some point. I have heard of some passing similarities, but curious if you had a take on that?

I can weigh in, having played both.

Gloomhaven is the better game and worth the price point, but it's a lot to learn.  I wouldn't even call it a learning curve... it's more like a sheer cliff.  The campaign will take you a long time to complete, and cycling through the various characters as you retire is a blast.  The story is... weird though: things will happen in events that are along the lines of "remember me?" moments, and then you realize none of our current characters were there for that.

Journeys in Middle Earth is definitely a blast. The deck element for skill checks is well executed, and I like that it's used for both attacks and tests.  I feel like I can use an action with a low chance of success on less important checks, and I think that's a step up from Gloomhaven where the only checks are attacks. The story is better too.

Gloomhaven is just more game, and I like the character decks as a better action mechanic.  Play two cards and those are your actions as opposed to spending actions on one of three things.

I highly recommend both, but if you play GH first it'll be a long time before you get to JIME 

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Soontirbeblownup said:

Shouldn’t this be renamed “it’s friday is the game going to be totally finished his week?”

Nah, there's still app stuff coming up... well, I guess skirmish kind of toast.

EDIT: maybe the title should be "what" instead of "who."

Edited by Uninvited Guest

Best we can possibly hope for at this point is a conclusive farewell with potential continuing OP support.

I mean, the state of skirmish OP is just pathetic. App-based costing for deployment and command cards would be a welcome change, but is probably too much to hope for.

I'm keeping it because campaign is fun, but it's really really hard to get myself to paint any more minis :(. Probably buying into Legion once they switch to hard plastic...

On 5/22/2019 at 3:59 AM, Uninvited Guest said:

Journeys in Middle Earth is definitely a blast. The deck element for skill checks is well executed, and I like that it's used for both attacks and tests.

But does it have a skirmish mode?  That's what I want to know.  (I know it doesn't, just kidding).  If it did have a skirmish mode I'd buy it for sure.  I'd run Gandalf with a You Shall Not Pass attachment and then have a couple elven archers and hobbit swarm to fill in the rest...  Take that Gollum + Driven By Precious upgrade squad!

Actually a card based combat skirmish type game might be pretty cool.  Are you listening, FFG?

9 hours ago, Mandelore of the Rings said:

But does it have a skirmish mode?  That's what I want to know.  (I know it doesn't, just kidding).  If it did have a skirmish mode I'd buy it for sure. 

Yeah, it would be nice to have.  Unfortunately, all the game has to really support this is maps and minis.  The game was made as a successor to MoM2E more than the Doom/Descent/IA line, but it would be really cool to see that worked out.

9 hours ago, FrogTrigger said:

Join us in Legion and we can rule the galaxy as father and so-- err -- as message board posters together.

No thanks. I'd only buy Legion if they actually let you field one (but as I've posted countless times, the scale is wrong). 

18 hours ago, FrogTrigger said:

Join us in Legion and we can rule the galaxy as father and so-- err -- as message board posters together.

I love IA, but I'm not narrow-minded as some others that my love for IA would make me blind to other games. I will dive into Legion as soon as Anakin, Ahsoka and Rex are available and I can build a proper 501st in the later phase of the Clone Wars.

16 hours ago, FrogTrigger said:

Honestly I never ever thought I would play Legion, then some friends got into it and now here I am. I can't even remember how much fun IA is because I have to much fun playing Legion.

Great post; Thanks for sharing! 😋

On 6/2/2019 at 3:02 PM, FrogTrigger said:

Honestly I never ever thought I would play Legion, then some friends got into it and now here I am. I can't even remember how much fun IA is because I have to much fun playing Legion.

Who...ARE you?