FSD

It's FRIDAY!!!!! Who will we see spoiled today??

On 2/8/2019 at 9:21 PM, Uninvited Guest said:

It looks like they’re trying to combine elements from Xia and Firefly, intentional or not.  I love Xia, but after reading the rules for Firefly it was a hard pass for me (I love the show, but that game was not for me).

What was it about the rules that put you off?  The Firefly board game is one my group have played more than most games (more than anything other than IA I'd think) and it's very thematic.  The main problem with it is the sheer amount of space it takes on the table if you play with all the expansions.

4 hours ago, udat said:

What was it about the rules that put you off?  The Firefly board game is one my group have played more than most games (more than anything other than IA I'd think) and it's very thematic.  The main problem with it is the sheer amount of space it takes on the table if you play with all the expansions.

It was so long ago that I read it, but as I recall I felt like the win condition cards (were they called Stories?) combined with some of the mechanics were going to make the game drag and after it was released the reviews seemed to confirm that.  I just remember thinking that it was going to be really hard to teach while keeping my group engaged enough to absorb the information, and if the first session took more than 4 hours (which with our group it definitely would have) everyone would have walked away with a bad taste.  From what I've seen, and maybe you could correct me if I'm wrong, the expansions have added more player interaction elements, which I think would make the game more appealing to me.

So I guess it wasn't necessarily the game itself, so much as I didn't want to play it with my friends, lol!

57 minutes ago, Uninvited Guest said:

So I guess it wasn't necessarily the game itself, so much as I didn't want to play it with my friends, lol!

I'm a bit like that with the Game of Thrones board game. I own it, and the expansions including Mother of Dragons, and I'm pretty excited by the concept of it; but the idea of putting it in front of my usual gaming group and spending the next four to six hours trying to (learn and) teach it, all that time on just one game with just one winner, fills me with a strange kind of horror. I'd love to give it a go with three or four clones of myself; but that's not really what board games are about, and certainly not what my regular gaming group consists of.

Posted (edited)
On 3/15/2019 at 12:06 PM, Bitterman said:

I'm a bit like that with the Game of Thrones board game. I own it, and the expansions including Mother of Dragons, and I'm pretty excited by the concept of it; but the idea of putting it in front of my usual gaming group and spending the next four to six hours trying to (learn and) teach it, all that time on just one game with just one winner, fills me with a strange kind of horror. I'd love to give it a go with three or four clones of myself; but that's not really what board games are about, and certainly not what my regular gaming group consists of.

I love that game, but have only ever played it maybe twice. The idea of the game is great too, its unfortunate there are so many steps to learn how to play, and lackluster win conditions... 10 turns feels like a short game, but the teaching in between, makes it take 5 hours a pop.

- I wish there was more of a focus on specific win conditions for each house.

Edited by King_Balrog

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bitterman said:

A friend of mine had GoT, it’s good but definitely complicated; I actually had a hard time forming strategies because I felt like there was so much to keep track of.  Some of my friends didn’t have the patience for more playthroughs to get it down.  I’d be lying if I said my patience wasn’t wearing a little thin (edit: just to be clear, I was definitely having fun).

Funny enough the friend that owns it was one of the friends I was complaining about above, but he’s just easily distracted when someone else is teaching.

Edited by Uninvited Guest

3 hours ago, Bitterman said:

I have kind of the opposite problem- I'd love for it to hit the table, but I know it definitely has to be a right place/right time thing with my friends.

In the past year and a half, I've only had two sessions of Rebellion and one half session of War of the Ring, all two player sessions.

Putting together a massive 6-player game like GOT would be tough, especially with some of the players in my  group's tendency toward massively overthinking things (and waiting until their turn to do so).

It would be worth it, but still...

4 hours ago, Uninvited Guest said:

It was so long ago that I read it, but as I recall I felt like the win condition cards (were they called Stories?) combined with some of the mechanics were going to make the game drag and after it was released the reviews seemed to confirm that.  I just remember thinking that it was going to be really hard to teach while keeping my group engaged enough to absorb the information, and if the first session took more than 4 hours (which with our group it definitely would have) everyone would have walked away with a bad taste.  From what I've seen, and maybe you could correct me if I'm wrong, the expansions have added more player interaction elements, which I think would make the game more appealing to me.

Some of the scenarios can take a fair bit of time for sure, but turns are just two actions, and can go quite quick, depending on what players choose to do.  It usually took about 2.5 hours for a game.  Some scenarios are time limited, others are essentially a race to a single victory condition, or a small number of "goal tokens".  I actually quite liked the fact that the base game was a race in which we were all on the same board, but interaction was limited (although you could on occasion really mess with someone's plans). It's a bit like Lords of Waterdeep in that regard.  One of the expansions adds piracy missions, so you can attack other ships and steal their cargo (if you have been employed to do so) which definitely adds to the player interaction.

What I liked most about it was how much it felt like Firefly.

The Legion updates are actually pretty exciting because the Shore Troopers and Veteran Troopers flesh out the Corps units, which need to make up 3 units of your army. Currently there were only two a side. Another thing that was strongly voiced by the Legion community last year and FFG has listened to and fixed (the other big one was the upgrade pack).

Meanwhile with IA we have been asking for a similar upgrade pack for... 4 years? And are patiently waiting for a response :)

You get an even greater view point of how dead IA is from the Legion side of things. Hang in there guys! *insert kitty on a rope picture*

3 hours ago, Pollux85 said:

Anyone at Star Wars Celebration this weekend and able to question FFG about their IA plans for this year? I figured we'd hear something today, but there's a panel on Saturday, so it seems doubtful we're getting any sort of product announcement. 

I don't know that FFG has an official presence at Star Wars celebration. 

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, King_Balrog said:

Anybody play the LotR game on the front page? is it any good? Looks like IA quite a bit.

From what I've seen, it seems like Fallout mixed with IA for the combat encounters. 

Pretty sure it comes out soon.  

Edited by subtrendy2

10 hours ago, Rikalonius said:

I don't know that FFG has an official presence at Star Wars celebration. 

Yes they have and later today (saturday 18:00 (mainland Europe time)) there's a panel. They already said they'll unveil X-Wing wave 5. It's D-Day for Imperial Assault.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, King_Balrog said:

Anybody play the LotR game on the front page? is it any good? Looks like IA quite a bit.

At this point anyone that has is a reviewer; officially it releases on Thursday.  So, there are some reviews out there.  I’d call them mixed-to-favorable. Most of the complaints have come down to players tastes.

The forums (here and BGG) have had reports of people getting there pre orders early, but the app hasn’t been publicly released yet, so they can’t play it.

As of now, I plan on picking it up, but I’m going to wait for some post-release reviews.

Edited by Uninvited Guest

Well, we're getting more content for the app.  That is definitely good news.

But, unless app content is generating significant sales, there's not exactly a lot of profit generation going on.  That is bad news.

I really would have liked to hear about something solid, though.  A figure wave at least.

22 hours ago, Strawhat said:

Well, we're getting more content for the app.  That is definitely good news.

But, unless app content is generating significant sales, there's not exactly a lot of profit generation going on.  That is bad news.

I really would have liked to hear about something solid, though.  A figure wave at least.

Some of us haven’t caught up with the stock that’s available already.

6 hours ago, Kani Kantai said:

Some of us haven’t caught up with the stock that’s available already.

Fair enough.

But about all we can do now is hope and say "maybe next year..."

There aren't any/many figures from the existing canon left to release.  Ewoks maybe for the Rebels.  Maybe Speeder Bikes and Scout Troopers?  Or they could move up into The Force Awakens time period?

I'd be happy with new deployment cards (campaign and skirmish), equipment cards, physical campaign missions, and stuff like that.  Maybe some figure packs.  I think there's enough map tiles already.

5 hours ago, udat said:

There aren't any/many figures from the existing canon left to release.  Ewoks maybe for the Rebels.  Maybe Speeder Bikes and Scout Troopers?

I feel there are still several waves of available characters left to release from the canon OT, they just start to become more and more obscure the farther down the list you go. We've already seen plenty of characters that have <1 minute of screen time brought into IA.

A quick list of characters off the top of my head:
Rebel Pilots
Imperial Pilots
Rebel Commandos
Figrin D'an and the Modal Nodes
Any of the other characters from the cantina
Imperial Navy Troopers
R5-D4
Rebel on Tauntaun
AT-AT Driver
Rebel Officer
Major Bren Derlin (complete with beer mug) 😋
4-LOM
Zuckuss
Mynocks
Yoda
Any number of people on Bespin, including Willrow Hood
Bib Fortuna
Oola
Max Rebo
Crix Madine
Admiral Ackbar
Mon Mothma
Ewoks
Scout Troopers
Imperial Bunker Troops

That's not even mentioning characters from Rebels or Rogue One. And I'm certain there are plenty others that I didn't mention. I don't think most of the above mentioned have a place in IA, but I feel the same about several of the expansions/characters we already have.

Point being, there's plenty still to add to IA. But we may have to wait for Legion to fail before we get any of it.