FSD

It's FRIDAY!!!!! Who will we see spoiled today??

20 hours ago, Rikalonius said:

I don't disagree with you.  The funny thing about Legion, is that with that scale, they really can't have the kind of battles they purport to be trying to have.  It should have been a smaller scale in order to accommodate AT-ATs and whatever Rebel ground vehicles they came up with.  It's like trying to play Armada with X-Wing scale miniatures. 

Absolutely, that was my main beef with it since day one.  If it had been a smaller scale than IA, we could've had battles that felt really unique to just Legion, as you describe.

But, in some completely backward way of thinking, the scale ended up being bigger than IA.  Absolute nonsense.

I've warmed up to Legion a little, and might at least pick up a T-47 to paint someday, but there's no doubt it should've been a smaller scale.  I guess an AT-AT is possible, but you're probably looking at something extremely costly at that point, 200-300 dollars if Armada's Executor is anything to go by.

Disclaimer: I play Skirmish only. I mostly am a competitive player ...

When I started playing Imperial Assault, FFG did all that great stuff: Lots of fan communication, great OP sets available everywhere, new spoilers every friday, ...

Right now, it's the absolute opposite way:

There is no fan communication. They don't even try to convince us, that the game I not dead. When the Nationals Bye cards where missing in the regionals sets, everyone thought "there will be no nationals" ... FFG reaction: none.

Since Asmodee is in charge, my FLGS is not informed when and how to order the OP kits anymore (therefore no OP in my area anymore). Legion and other FFG products are just collecting dust on the shelves or get price reductions far beyond sanity. I think, the FLGS will kick out FFG products sooner or later.

On the other hand: Even if he could get the be OP sets, interest is very small. There used to be a reputational trophy in every kit (coin, medal), but there is not anymore. There used to be similar tokens in consecutive sets (e.g. Stun tokens of the same style like the focus tokens the season before), but they never finished a set of similar tokens. There were new great Deployment Cards in the sets. E.g. the elite Stormtroopers card was something you actually needed. An elite Weequay or elite Jet Troopers card would have been great ... two years ago. The OP kits just don't have any content, someone travels 2 hours for.

There is no map rotation for half a year now. Two previewed maps not available in my area.

No new physical content announced.

No OP support in my area.

Last year, there were 5 Regionals all over Germany and one in the Netherlands, some with 20+ players. This year there is one in Germany with like 10 players.

The "usual suspects" in my area start looking for other games than IA. Sadly for FFG, none of them is going for Legion.

On the other hand, other companys start to do the stuff right, that FFG did right in the past. Anyone seen the Warhammer 40.000 Kill Team FLGS Campain OP Kit? Beautiful! Gold, Silver and Bronze coins, best of faction pins, dice, alt art cards, beat painted prize ... and the game is actually better than Legion.

If FFG doesn't do anything fast, the game will be dead ( at least around here), even if they release new stuff ...

1 hour ago, DerBaer said:

The "usual suspects" in my area start looking for other games than IA. Sadly for FFG, none of them is going for Legion.

If FFG doesn't do anything fast, the game will be dead ( at least around here), even if they release new stuff ...

I think that this could be a common theme going forward. I want to like FFG as a company, they did so good in the beginning and their Star Wars stuff is second to none. However, who would want to get into another FFG game when they know that lack of communication is on the horizon?

I'm surprisingly happy with the slower release schedules (for IA and Armada), but the missing information is what drives me nuts. I don't care if FFG posts something that says: "We're working on the next wave. We can't say any more at this time, but you'll eventually see the trees through the forest". Brilliant! They just teased an Endor expansion without saying anything. The forums explode, everyone knows that the game is continuing and we don't have to speculate any longer.

There was a time not too long ago when I wanted to get into Legion. I kept putting it off because I really enjoy IA and I don't need to spend the money. Now that I know Legion will eventually succumb to the same fate as IA and Armada, I'll keep my money, thank you very much.

3 hours ago, DerBaer said:

I pointed this out a couple of pages back but there are absolutely no items in the "Upcoming" queue. It was disputed at he time but this is the first time I can remember not seeing anything - restocks always have been pushing through the pipeline and there's usually been a couple of things "awaiting reprint" or "at the printer". Because of this shops (both online or brick and mortar) aren't going to see any restocks for six months or more and given the paucity of stock currently on the shelves I don't think IA is going to retain its shelf space. Plus FFG doesn't sell directly so it is only held by third party sellers or shipping warehouses.

I would like to think there is more LotA coming but if FFG are running down real physical stock availability to the players (and son't have any more to sell to retailers) then it is difficult to see what they would expect to get out of more digital releases other than goodwill.

Prior to HotE’s announcement: “IA is dead, FFG has stopped working on this game”
Prior to Legends of the Alliance’s release: “IA is dead, the app won’t happen”
Prior to Jabba’s Realm app campaign announcement: “IA is dead, the app was the last gasp. There won’t be another campaign.”
Prior to Tyrants of Lothal’s announcement: “IA is dead…”
Post Tyrants of Lothal’s announcement: “IA is dead…”
(And that’s just the time I’ve been with the game. It seems that in the fan’s mind, this game has always been on its last gasp. A pity, really...).

Edited by angelman2

6 minutes ago, angelman2 said:

Prior to HotE’s announcement: “IA is dead, FFG has stopped working on this game”
Prior to Jabba’s Realm app campaign announcement: “IA is dead, the app was the last gasp. There won’t be another campaign.”
(And that’s just the time I’ve been with the game. It seems that in the fan’s mind, this game has always been on its last gasp. A pity, really...).

You can’t even buy the game on FFG’s site. 😐

😇

40 minutes ago, angelman2 said:

As I've said before, better communication could do wonders.  We don't even need a timeline or specifics.  FFG just needs to tell us something's in the pipeline.

Though, there's no doubt that eventually the game will die, at least in the sense that new products will cease rolling out. Hopefully, though, we're not there yet.

1 hour ago, Zerker said:

I pointed this out a couple of pages back but there are absolutely no items in the "Upcoming" queue.

Seeing a product in Upcoming tells the FFG stock is low or empty.

Not seeing a product in Upcoming does not say that FFG has decided not to reprint it. (Enough negatives?)

(Remind me, has anyone ever seen the core box in Upcoming? There have been several reprints.)

46 minutes ago, angelman2 said:

Yeah but the point I am making is that at each of those times there were still reprints in the upcoming queue... always. I know because I always checked and was always reassured. And I knew that FFG were never going to cancel the game while stock was in the supply line regardless of how worried others were.

Conversely I have always known that the first real indicator that an announcement that support is over would necessarily be an empty queue of restocks. And this has happened now, for the first time.

This may not happen, maybe there's even a 2nd edition in the pipeline, but regardless it means there will be no new store stock for IA for at least six months which is a long stretch.

10 hours ago, angelman2 said:

I think everyone's problem with the game, and the efforts of the developers, is that IA is under-loved and deserves so much more respect.

We go many months without words at all, then, IA gains just enough of a life transfusion to promptly go comatose again for many more months.

Image result for ASPCA meme

For just $60 per expansion you can help keep IA alive for just a few more precious days...

Que " in the arms of an angel"

Edited by King_Balrog

1 minute ago, a1bert said:

Seeing a product in Upcoming tells the FFG stock is low or empty.

Not seeing a product in Upcoming does not say that FFG has decided not to reprint it. (Enough negatives?)

(Remind me, has anyone ever seen the core box in Upcoming? There have been several reprints.)

It's a six month pipeline. They may have made a paper decision but AFAIK it approximately coincides with an order going to the manufacturer. And yes, every product that gets reprinted (even core reprints) go into the pipeline and are therefore visible month in advance.

56 minutes ago, angelman2 said:

Yeah, I know. And I've always been on the sky is NOT falling side. But right now, players ARE leaving. OP is NOT happening anymore (in my area).

1 hour ago, angelman2 said:

[citation needed]

Anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's already longer since the last IA release than between any previous releases, no? And there's been absolutely nothing hinted at or announced as coming soon, no? And it normally takes a solid six months between announcement and release, doesn't it? So... it is completely true to say that we have never been in this situation before, isn't it? So even if you were right that people have always been saying IA is dead, even when it wasn't... that doesn't mean they're not right now.

Frankly at this point, you'd have to be very, very, very optimistic indeed to think we're getting any further content for this game at all (possible skirmish maps and app campaigns excluded), until and unless FFG announce some. "There has been content released in the past" isn't really a response to "there hasn't been any content for ages, and it doesn't look like there will be any for the foreseeable future".

On 1/17/2019 at 4:26 AM, Rikalonius said:

The funny thing about Legion, is that with that scale, they really can't have the kind of battles they purport to be trying to have.  It should have been a smaller scale in order to accommodate AT-ATs and whatever Rebel ground vehicles they came up with.

Absolutely.  Legion would have made way more sense with a smaller scale.  They could have fit in multiple AT-ATs and other stuff that way.

1 hour ago, Bitterman said:

Anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's already longer since the last IA release than between any previous releases, no? And there's been absolutely nothing hinted at or announced as coming soon, no? And it normally takes a solid six months between announcement and release, doesn't it? So... it is completely true to say that we have never been in this situation before, isn't it? So even if you were right that people have always been saying IA is dead, even when it wasn't... that doesn't mean they're not right now.

Not sure if this is what you meant, but we were pretty much in roughly the same position last year, as far as I recall.

We got the HotE box in early October, and didn't hear about ToL until mid March.

I guess we did get the app in between that time, if you count that. Personally, I consider that a separate issue.

I don't expect anything until March, and won't start panicking unless May 5th rolls around and we still have no news.  It would be incredibly exciting to get a blister wave announcement announced earlier than that (or heck, even a full wave) but I'm not holding my breath.

Kidding aside, I think it’s hard to say IA is underloved. It has an awful lot of content and has been reasonably well supported for most of its life.

There’s no doubt that FFG, in general, needs to do a lot better with Organized Play and communication in general. For something like IA... who knows what’s coming. For something like Destiny where we DO know what’s coming... when? Where’s the hype? The previews? They could do a lot better with all of these things. I appreciate that it’s challenging / suboptimal to communicate to a fan base that you’re shutting a game down, and FFG does that inconsistently also.

I have mixed feelings about community building via OP. There’s no doubt it has value, that it contributes to a game being active, etc. I’ve fallen off IA OP but it’s mainly due to getting into the competitive side of other games. But I do think that the importance of OP tends to be overstated. I don’t know where the sweet spot is, but if they’re going to do it at all... they should do it better.

I don’t know where I’m going with this so I’ll stop typing. 😛

I'm sure it's hard too, because they have so many games, and do put out articles regularly.  I'm pretty critical of their communication, but in all fairness they have a pretty monumental task ahead of them every single day.

Not that this excuses the poor communication, but I guess I kind of get it from that angle?  Maybe it could help to have some sort of rule of thumb- something along the lines of "address every still running game at least once a month".  Or maybe they already have something like that, but it's simply too long of a cycle to really be effective and noticeable(for the record, we've definitely gone longer than a month without even a minor correspondence before).

Point being, just a minor acknowledgement (even if it's just a "hey, check out 'x' podcast, we here at FFG think it gives some great tips for Imperial Assault") would significantly cut down on the doom and gloom.

Edited by subtrendy2

Part of the problem is this thread. There is NO WAY that we'd get IA stuff every Friday. So it inherently is setting us up for disappointment:) Assuming we get a box wave and a blister wave each year AND assuming that they get separate announcements AND assuming that each announcement gets an "announcing, campaign preview, skirmish preview and, now available artice, we might expect 8 articles a year. Plus a couple about strategy or maybe a designer's notes article so we'll put that up to 10. If we get an app "announcement" and "now available" that's 12. I'm not counting organized play articles which aren't specifically about new IA product (i.e. Worlds announcements etc).

So basically at least 40 weeks out of 52 (~80% of weeks) you can expect no news for IA. Not only that but those articles are probably going to be clustered in either the spring or fall.

I'm thinking we will get an announcement at Worlds, or right before to build hype. They just developed the app, there is no way they are pulling the plug now.

IA is a very popular game, skirmish is not the pulse you should be taking. Didn't I just say this somewhere? Was it here? I work shift work so some days my mind is a bit boggled.

Campaign is the pulse, and in my LGS at least the game is still selling off the shelf. Just not a lot of people interested in the OP. 

So the OP dying and the game dying are two different things, this game is not dependent on the OP as a game like RuneWars might have been.

4 hours ago, subtrendy2 said:

Not sure if this is what you meant, but we were pretty much in roughly the same position last year, as far as I recall.

No because there were items in the reprint queue at the time as there always have been until now. 

Just to clarify I am not concerned about the long  periods between the new releases but the absence of any restocks of existing product which is the lifeblood of the game in so far as it keeps it on the shelves in shops and in online catalogs. Those stocks will dwindle and, without replacements on the order sheets, retailers will sooner or later drop them into the clearance bins and won't be looking to restock even if a trickle of reprints restarts next year.

2 minutes ago, Zerker said:

No because there were items in the reprint queue at the time as there always have been until now. 

Just to clarify I am not concerned about the long  periods between the new releases but the absence of any restocks of existing product which is the lifeblood of the game in so far as it keeps it on the shelves in shops and in online catalogs. Those stocks will dwindle and, without replacements on the order sheets, retailers will sooner or later drop them into the clearance bins and won't be looking to restock even if a trickle of reprints restarts next year.

I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain that's not what @Bitterman was talking about.

1 minute ago, subtrendy2 said:

I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain that's not what @Bitterman was talking about.

He was replying to a response to my earlier post and re-iterating my point that we are now in a unique situation (albeit specifically in reference to new products which also have at least a six month lead time in the upcoming queue).

11 hours ago, DerBaer said:

BTW ... it's Friday ...

You know what good point.

On topic: Bruce Willis was dead the whole time, Brad Pitt is the other guys imaginary friend, and Kevin Spacey is actually the bad guy pretending to be someone... else...

Sorry, that last one got more real than I intended.

Oh, and to the whole “is the game dead” thing, they did say they were focused on the app at the last In Flight.  To me that says we may never see anymore physical content, but if we do it probably won’t happen in 2019.

Edited by Uninvited Guest