FSD

It's FRIDAY!!!!! Who will we see spoiled today??

22 hours ago, subtrendy2 said:

The RPG is getting ewoks.

Just sayin'.

I love the FFG art of Ewoks. Including the picture in the new article. They’re more wild bear looking. I could handle a RotJ remaster where they beef up the Ewoks a bit with some cgi. Wouldn’t be surprised to see them in IA

I always thought a IA version of LOTR would be awesome, looks like we got something kind of close on its way. Definitely not the same system, but borrowing mechanics from a number of FFG games as well as what looks to be card based combat (Gloomhavens card based combat is the most fun/interactive combat system I've ever used).

Looks to be a must buy. :)

1 minute ago, FrogTrigger said:

I always thought a IA version of LOTR would be awesome, looks like we got something kind of close on its way. Definitely not the same system, but borrowing mechanics from a number of FFG games as well as what looks to be card based combat (Gloomhavens card based combat is the most fun/interactive combat system I've ever used).

I also really like the idea.

I guess LOTR dungeon crawler would be a bit too close to Descent, but this is definitely its own thing.

And I was so proud of how well I've been saving money since getting caught up on Descent lately... :P

19 hours ago, FrogTrigger said:

Linky? [edit] Never mind. Presumably this?

Edited by Bitterman

12 minutes ago, FrogTrigger said:

and Luke's old speeder with a gun on the roof is hilarious. 

Oh, wow, I hadn't seen that until now.  Good lord, you're right, that's some solid comedic value there.  (I do like the alien pilots, though).

I'm no toy business wizard... but what can FFG lose/risk if they put out a small IA expansion based on Endor or Rogue One?

It's bound to sell much much much better than anything based on "Rebels", and they already have the license and the images are drawn for all their other games.

There must be some issue I don't understand, are they afraid Legion sales would suffer from "competition" from IA??

...and also: Dress your pet day ??? Really?

petday.jpg

1 hour ago, FrogTrigger said:

I saw that post, saw the R1 tank, saw the word Imperial, got super excited. Then was let down, lol.

I think the tank is an ugly model and Luke's old speeder with a gun on the roof is hilarious. 

That tank has definitely been smacked around with an ugly stick, but my first thought when I saw that speeder was "Dang it, I didn't know I wanted that, but I want that." 

Right now the only vehicle that the Rebels have for Skirmish is Sabine. Campaign players have nothing. I want a vehicle as an ally, 

1 hour ago, sheriffharry said:

I'm no toy business wizard... but what can FFG lose/risk if they put out a small IA expansion based on Endor or Rogue One?

It's bound to sell much much much better than anything based on "Rebels", and they already have the license and the images are drawn for all their other games.

petday.jpg

Could be that after Solo was such a disaster that the powers that be (Asmodee, Disney, Lucasfilm, someone bigger than FFG?) are more protective of the Star Wars brand and decided to not allow products directly related to R1 and Solo that weren't already in active development. That would allow for Legion's Jyn and Krennic figures to have slid in under the gun. 

Just wishful thinking, but I'm also hopeful that we get a catchall big box expansion this year that includes tiles for Dagobah, Endor, maybe a few other planets, and wraps up the original trilogy with a big 12 round finale mission with Ewoks and speeder bikes and everything. 

I think it's more just timing. IA is most likely winding down now, we're over our peak hump of development. There is still more physical stuff to come, just going to be a lot slower. I think they will announce something either right before or during Worlds, end of March. 

Total shot in the dark here, but as long as an Endor themed box isn't released, that's always going to be the proverbial carrot on the stick for a lot of fans. It's basically like a built-in hype machine for the game.  Plus, even if you're not the biggest fan of the Rebels stuff, you're more likely to stick around with that hope than if they ever announced that The last three waves would be totally Rebels and Solo-related.

If they're going to finish off the game with Endor, I don't mind getting some weirder HOTE/TOL-style boxes (or even Rogue One/Solo stuff) in between.

On 1/14/2019 at 11:59 AM, FrogTrigger said:

I saw that post, saw the R1 tank, saw the word Imperial, got super excited. Then was let down, lol.

I think the tank is an ugly model and Luke's old speeder with a gun on the roof is hilarious. 

Yeah, it is pure fanservice.  Even Luke complains about how old that speeder was.  So Luke was driving the equivalent of a military JEEP?  The model is good quality, and it has an insurgency feel about it, but I don't like that they use Luke's speeder.  

2 hours ago, Rikalonius said:

Yeah, it is pure fanservice.  Even Luke complains about how old that speeder was.  So Luke was driving the equivalent of a military JEEP?  The model is good quality, and it has an insurgency feel about it, but I don't like that they use Luke's speeder.  

I looked at it as more "Wow, the Rebels are reduced to using some beat up old junky speeder." Which is totally believable. 

I absolutely agree, but it's a problem with the franchise as a whole.

The new Battlefront game, for instance, has those speeders as well.  

Really, as big as the Star Wars universe is, fans will always gravitate to the movies (and in turn, that's what will sell the most).  That's why, regardless of the fact that they make very little sense for this game, Endor and Yoda are two of the most commonly predicted future content for Imperial Assault.

52 minutes ago, Pollux85 said:

I looked at it as more "Wow, the Rebels are reduced to using some beat up old junky speeder." Which is totally believable. 

Is it?  The Rebel Alliance wasn't some Al Qaeda style guerrilla group.  Note the line from the scene in Star Wars where they are arguing on the Death Star.  "Until this battle station is fully operational, we are vulnerable.  The Rebel Alliance is too well equipped. They are more dangerous than you think."  In George's original ideas, even his original crawl, the Empire came from outside the Republic.  So whatever was lost to the Empire of the core of the Republic, there were still plenty of systems resisting the Empire, which caused them to want to build the Death Star in the first place.  It represented, basically, the threat of nuclear weapons against a military organization that didn't possess them.  Rebel equipment, like the X-Wings and others, was technologically superior to the lower-tech high numbers equipment of the Empire.  

1 hour ago, Rikalonius said:

Is it?  The Rebel Alliance wasn't some Al Qaeda style guerrilla group.  Note the line from the scene in Star Wars where they are arguing on the Death Star.  "Until this battle station is fully operational, we are vulnerable.  The Rebel Alliance is too well equipped. They are more dangerous than you think."  In George's original ideas, even his original crawl, the Empire came from outside the Republic.  So whatever was lost to the Empire of the core of the Republic, there were still plenty of systems resisting the Empire, which caused them to want to build the Death Star in the first place.  It represented, basically, the threat of nuclear weapons against a military organization that didn't possess them.  Rebel equipment, like the X-Wings and others, was technologically superior to the lower-tech high numbers equipment of the Empire.  

Sort of.

Stuff like X-Wings, Y-Wings, etc were generally made by third parties and either secretly sent to the Rebellion or outright commandeered. Stuff like the Nebulon B Frigates were even stolen and modified Imperial tech.

It's not like they were living in the Stone Age, but they also didn't have the dedicated Military Industrial Complex that the Empire had.  Nor was what they had simply scrap, it just came from a more varied array of sources.  There was really high quality stuff, like Mon Cal cruisers, but there were also some more "improvised" weaponry as well (for instance, IIRC the Rebels used modified CIS stuff like the hailfire droids).

I guess I wouldn't see a large Rebel offensive using one of these speeders, but a small cell might modify one for a mission.  If anything, this almost feels to me more like an IA thing than Legion.

35 minutes ago, subtrendy2 said:

Sort of.

Stuff like X-Wings, Y-Wings, etc were generally made by third parties and either secretly sent to the Rebellion or outright commandeered. Stuff like the Nebulon B Frigates were even stolen and modified Imperial tech.

It's not like they were living in the Stone Age, but they also didn't have the dedicated Military Industrial Complex that the Empire had.  Nor was what they had simply scrap, it just came from a more varied array of sources.  There was really high quality stuff, like Mon Cal cruisers, but there were also some more "improvised" weaponry as well (for instance, IIRC the Rebels used modified CIS stuff like the hailfire droids).

I guess I wouldn't see a large Rebel offensive using one of these speeders, but a small cell might modify one for a mission.  If anything, this almost feels to me more like an IA thing than Legion.

I don't disagree with you.  The funny thing about Legion, is that with that scale, they really can't have the kind of battles they purport to be trying to have.  It should have been a smaller scale in order to accommodate AT-ATs and whatever Rebel ground vehicles they came up with.  It's like trying to play Armada with X-Wing scale miniatures. 

There is so much stuff in Star Wars that is just as much canon as the example that you just gave that it's all kind of meaningless. It's all just one character's opinion or perception of a massive conflict. It's all true, and none of it is. 

The Rebel Alliance was a rag-tag group of untrained volunteers that were decentralized and perpetually under-equipped, each cell operating in near isolation, with little knowledge of other operations. They were also a loyal, and highly disciplined military force with a mighty fleet, widespread throughout the galaxy, coordinated and well-equipped with the latest technology, albeit in limited quantities. 

The Empire was a terrible and unstoppable, well-trained military force, with enough firepower and resources to operate anywhere they choose with swift precision and impunity. Also, things like the Death Star were considered a necessity because the military was too incompetent or corrupt to be able to eradicate the Rebels conventionally. The government was stifled by the inefficiencies of bureaucracy that remained from the days of the Republic.

The Republic was a beacon of democracy that has lasted for millennia. The galaxy is an ungovernable mess. The Jedi were an ancient and mysterious order, understood by few. Also, they were a strictly codified order that operated hand in hand with the galactic government. Their numbers were both abundant, and also few. 

The galaxy is inconceivably huge and diverse. Travel between worlds can take days or weeks, even in the best starships. Also, Mustafar is on the Outer Rim, but it's just a hop, skip, and a jump from Courscant. 

Edited by Pollux85

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 5:10 PM, FrogTrigger said:

I think I want to see a little bit more of it in action first, but I am super intrigued by it! I am particularly curious to see how fleshed out the app is, as Legends of the Alliance, in my opinion, is functional but certainly feels like an outside element that was bolted onto the existing game, and doesn't feel as fleshed out as I was personally hoping for when I first heard about it. With that said, I have only played one campaign with Legends, and I have been interested in giving it another spin.

7 hours ago, Kunitzu San said:

Legends of the Alliance, in my opinion, is functional but certainly feels like an outside element that was bolted onto the existing game,

To be fair, it is bolted onto the existing game.  It kind of has to be, too.  If it tracked things like damage and figure location there’d be less need to have the physical game.

I imagine the LotR app will be fairly similar.  As it seems to be integral to the game maybe they’ll add damage tracking and other features to minimize the number of tokens being thrown around.