FSD

It's FRIDAY!!!!! Who will we see spoiled today??

The pace of new expansions in Legion is overwhelming and there are no even competitive tournaments, at least in my zone. 

I guess they have to roll out all the planned expansions before the game loses the public interest.

While FFG keeps focusing on Legion, we are all here waiting for a new IA wave announcement, hopefully Rogue One, Rebels or even Endor. I don't care so long as they keep the game alive and shake the meta ;) 

10 hours ago, sheriffharry said:

The Rogue One expansion could be based solely on the Jedha planet.

Lotsa stuff there: new Imperials toys and troopers, the market/street fights, the temple and the Guardians of the Whills, the kyber crystal mines, Saw Gerrera's faction and hideout, bounty hunters, a scenario on the Death Star.., obviously the whole crew of the Rogue One as Ally packs.. AND Dr Evazan and Ponda BABA!!

As it is a "desert planet", all the smaller tiles from Tatooine could be reused: win, win,  win!

That, and I still think there's a lot of interesting things they could do with big beach/water areas, really taking advantage of the difficult terrain rules.

5 hours ago, Uninvited Guest said:

My only issue with that is that the Core came with a lot of desert tiles, Twin Shadows came with a lot of desert tiles, Jabba's Realm... more desert tiles.  If we're going to get a Rogue One expansion then some sunny, tropical beaches would be nice.

When wars are fought on sunny tropical beaches, they never seem like it at the time of fighting.  More like jungle-fire, sun-blocking black smoke, blood-soaked beaches.  

2 hours ago, bokepasa said:

The pace of new expansions in Legion is overwhelming and there are no even competitive tournaments, at least in my zone. 

I guess they have to roll out all the planned expansions before the game loses the public interest.

While FFG keeps focusing on Legion, we are all here waiting for a new IA wave announcement, hopefully Rogue One, Rebels or even Endor. I don't care so long as they keep the game alive and shake the meta ;) 

Especially for how much I hear people having trouble finding anyone playing it.  Seems FFG is really depending on Legion, and maybe it sells because it's pretty, but it doesn't seem like it is taking over the tabletop world.

On 12/6/2018 at 7:23 PM, bill_andel said:

I still don't know why they didn't just make the Legion minis work for both games.

That was a MISSED OPPORTUNITY. Legion should have been the third game mode of IA, Epic battles. FFG launched a new game with a slightly different scale and new figures instead. 

I can understand the new minis and figures, at the end of the day they have to sell. However, they could have taken advantage of the IA existing community and boosted the game with this new mode. Sadly they had different plans.

Let's see in a year where these two games are. 

On 12/6/2018 at 10:23 AM, bill_andel said:

I still don't know why they didn't just make the Legion minis work for both games.

Because it is a business and that doesn't make any sense. They want you to buy all the new stuff for the new game.

Also, for a traditional mini painter, the IA minis are pretty small in scale. Putting minis together allows a bigger cast. Legion is more on par with what we see in Warhammer. But mainly the first point.

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:52 AM, Soontirbeblownup said:

From what I’ve heard it’s not really a good tournament game. Isn’t opinion of just one person either started in big way and very quickly died down in our area

I haven't tried any actual tournaments for Legion, and I probably won't. My experience playing it on my dining room table, though, suggests that it would probably be a pain to manage a large tournament for.  Granted, in stores or at events, you could cut the set-up time down from what I have at home. But, even at that, playing standard, 800 point armies, over 6 rounds, I haven't had a game run less than three hours, unless you count one aborted at round 3 due to a cat displacing everything on half of the table with a single leap.

Granted, a casual format tends to make a game take longer, as there are pauses in the action to fetch drinks, make coffee, or whatever, but even bearing that in mind, it remains significant that X-wing, Imperial Assault and even Armada still take much less time to set up and play- they're all more friendly, therefore, to tournament play.

Legion also presently suffers from a limited selection of units- each side has only 3 options to serve as commanders, and the commanders shape the initiative system and the game's overall flow. Beyond that, the limited options by default ensure a limited meta. Long play time, elaborate set up and stale meta don't encourage enthusiastic tournament play.

Don't get me wrong- I like Legion. I enjoy playing it. But, it doesn't even begin to appeal to me as a tournament game.

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 3:18 PM, FrogTrigger said:

Because it is a business and that doesn't make any sense. They want you to buy all the new stuff for the new game.

Also, for a traditional mini painter, the IA minis are pretty small in scale. Putting minis together allows a bigger cast. Legion is more on par with what we see in Warhammer. But mainly the first point.

How does it not make any sense? My whole point is I'd buy more stuff if Legion figures were compatible with IA.  But because of the way it was done, I'm not remotely interested in shelling out for Legion.

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 3:37 PM, a1bert said:

Also remember that Legion is a miniatures game, so it is covered by FFG's SW license. (Imperial Assault is a boardgame and Hasbro gets a cut - no idea how much and if there's something else than Hasbro taking a cut through handling distribution.)

Ah! And *THAT* cracks the code. Bummer. :-(

On 12/8/2018 at 5:37 PM, a1bert said:

Also remember that Legion is a miniatures game, so it is covered by FFG's SW license. (Imperial Assault is a boardgame and Hasbro gets a cut - no idea how much and if there's something else than Hasbro taking a cut through handling distribution.)

Are we sure about that? I mean, we ARE in the miniatures section of the forum. 

13 hours ago, Pollux85 said:

Are we sure about that? I mean, we ARE in the miniatures section of the forum. 

Yes, there's certainly an agreement with Hasbro (look for FFG interviews from previous GenCons etc.). You can ask about stores about which distribution channel they get their IA products from. The IA core box and marketing has "boardgame" all over them. Boardgame with miniatures, but boardgame anyway.

(At least previously the Upcoming page has had figure expansions in Miniatures and boxed expansions in Boardgames.)

Edited by a1bert

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 11:18 PM, FrogTrigger said:

The new IA-figures (i.e. since Bespin Gambit) are larger than those that came before and introduced the cleaner, well-defined sculpting style which is also utilized in Legion now. Also, the IA-figures are mostly produced in parts just like the Legion minis, the difference being that in IA they come pre-assembled.

What's more, not all Legion-minis are consistent in scale with each other, like the Stormtroopers all being bigger than the Rebel Troopers, and the same goes for IA. As a matter of fact, there are IA-minis that fit the scale of Legion in general, like Thrawn, and there are Legion-minis that do not look out of scale next to the newer (post Bespin Gambit) IA minis, like the Rebel Troopers. The whole scale-issue is not clear-cut at all, not even within the same game.

I somehow feel like a broken record regarding that issue...

In the end, size is not an issue - it's all about what you do with it...

Edited by Fourtytwo

Considering LEGION, just my 2 cents: at the local hobby store, ALL packs are heavily discounted.. possibly because the game isn't selling.

(There is a healthy Imperial Assault Skirmish community in town)

Concerning Imperial Assault: Will there be a "next wave" of an Imperial Assault big box and/or blister packs in 2019?
Opinions welcomed, but even better would be some "inside info" from those in the know!

Personally, I would be happy with just a new "app" campaign, but an Endor or Rogue One box would make me ecstatic.