Jump to content
FSD

It's FRIDAY!!!!! Who will we see spoiled today??

Recommended Posts

59 minutes ago, ellhaynes said:

And.... it's an article for Rebellion. Brilliant. Well worth the wait. 

When they said a Q3 release, they did mean this year didn't they? 

Soon ™

Edited by Rikalonius
wrong symbol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, VadersMarchKazoo said:

That makes me wonder. Do any of the other game forums have a similar thread? Or more to the point, similarly obsessed fans. I mean, is there a thread :"It's Friday, do you think we'll get ANOTHER Destiny article today?" And if so, are they as dedicated and singleminded?

There's one on the Descent board, but's it's less "when are we getting an article??" and more "woe is me, this game is completely dead for sure".  It's a sad and lonely place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, VadersMarchKazoo said:

That makes me wonder. Do any of the other game forums have a similar thread? Or more to the point, similarly obsessed fans. I mean, is there a thread :"It's Friday, do you think we'll get ANOTHER Destiny article today?" And if so, are they as dedicated and singleminded?

Haha!  This made me picture a thread of "it's been three days since we got an article!  What are they waiting for?  Is this game dead?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, ManateeX said:

There's one on the Descent board, but's it's less "when are we getting an article??" and more "woe is me, this game is completely dead for sure".  It's a sad and lonely place.

What are they complaining about? They have an app. They can just suck it up :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Stompburger said:

What are they complaining about? They have an app. They can just suck it up :D

Wasn't the app the last thing they got?  If true, doesn't an app represent a "this is the end, play until your hearts are content" moment?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, ManateeX said:

There's one on the Descent board, but's it's less "when are we getting an article??" and more "woe is me, this game is completely dead for sure".  It's a sad and lonely place.

At least it's not as dead as LotR LCG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please predict that they'll change their release format to Battlelore's and have $40 packs with 37 miniatures in them.  I'm exhausted paying $40 and getting 3 miniatures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eventually games have to run their course, LOTR has had a hell of a run, look at all the content for that game, its incredible. They are still going to, it seems the story line might be wrapping up a bit and I imagine an end is sight, but you could literally spend a thousand dollars on that game and still not get through all the content.

And for Descent they got the app, then a full campaign, then the delve (replayable format) and then another full campaign utilizing one of the big boxes. I imagine they will keep going with this format until they run out of physical pieces to re introduce.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, FrogTrigger said:

Eventually games have to run their course, LOTR has had a hell of a run, look at all the content for that game, its incredible. They are still going to, it seems the story line might be wrapping up a bit and I imagine an end is sight, but you could literally spend a thousand dollars on that game and still not get through all the content.

  And sadly at the end of the day you'll just have a few dollars worth of cards.  You can get a pack of regular playing cards with Star Sars characters on them at a dollar store, FF charges you $15 for a pack of cards expansion.

  FF has chosen super premium prices on the theory that they're fine having 1/4 as many players if they make 7x as much profit per unit.  It can make it **** hard to find anyone playing their games however.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Union said:

  And sadly at the end of the day you'll just have a few dollars worth of cards.  You can get a pack of regular playing cards with Star Sars characters on them at a dollar store, FF charges you $15 for a pack of cards expansion.

  FF has chosen super premium prices on the theory that they're fine having 1/4 as many players if they make 7x as much profit per unit.  It can make it **** hard to find anyone playing their games however.

The value of the cards for an LCG isn't that bad, although the price has been rising quickly.

When compared to a CCG you get more cards for your money and get a full playset, it could cost at least 3x as much to get a full ccg playset. Once they stop releasing new stuff you will still have a complete set to play with.

At least you only have to buy 1 of each LCG pack, unlike IA where you could get 6x of a pack.

FFG does get greedy in other ways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Majushi said:

Right. So my prediction came true once again...

well, now it seems I feel a change coming.

and as such, I will predict we will get IA news this coming week.

exactly which day I am not sure, as unclear the future is.

but it will come this week!

Majush's Juju senses a debut of the game that we fear has gone eschew.  Let's hope that this week we can accrue an article to view- if not for the sake of @VadersMarchKazoo.  Whew!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, subtrendy2 said:

"It's been a whole 4 days since the last time we released Rune Wars articles.  Sure, it was two on the same day, but we better release another one."

The more I see articles about RuneWars minis, the more I want a Clone Wars version of the game...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, mulletcheese said:

When compared to a CCG...

A lot of CCGs are pretty cheap.  The big ones are expensive, but they're expensive because you typically end up with something MORE valuable when you open a pack.  LCGs on the other hand are worth, if you're lucky, half what you paid for them when you take them off the shelf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Union said:

A lot of CCGs are pretty cheap.  The big ones are expensive, but they're expensive because you typically end up with something MORE valuable when you open a pack.  LCGs on the other hand are worth, if you're lucky, half what you paid for them when you take them off the shelf.

I think it's just two different philosophies.  Do you want to play a game?  Or do you want to show off/sell your collection and maybe play a game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Union said:

A lot of CCGs are pretty cheap.  The big ones are expensive, but they're expensive because you typically end up with something MORE valuable when you open a pack.  LCGs on the other hand are worth, if you're lucky, half what you paid for them when you take them off the shelf.

Is any part of Destiny ever going to hold any long term collectible value? I have most of the Star Wars Miniatures collection, but if I never paid $50 for Boba Fett, Bounty Hunter after going through 3 cases without getting him, I don't think I'd even notice today.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Union said:

A lot of CCGs are pretty cheap.  The big ones are expensive, but they're expensive because you typically end up with something MORE valuable when you open a pack.  LCGs on the other hand are worth, if you're lucky, half what you paid for them when you take them off the shelf.

Funnily enough, though, most people don't invest in games as a way of supplementing their pension savings... I "invest" in this game because I think the replay-ability of the game is worth the cost, the return on my investment is my enjoyment. This is a much cheaper hobby than Games Workshop, which I used to do, or cycling, or golf, or any number of other modern hobbies. Is it really cheapest? Absolutely not, but I don't mind a company making money by selling something I feel is quality and worth what they're selling it for. If you don't like the prices, or the product, or the company (all of which I've inferred from how you've written your posts) why are you spending so much time discussing it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, General Zodd said:

Funnily enough, though, most people don't invest in games as a way of supplementing their pension savings... I "invest" in this game because I think the replay-ability of the game is worth the cost, the return on my investment is my enjoyment. This is a much cheaper hobby than Games Workshop, which I used to do, or cycling, or golf, or any number of other modern hobbies. Is it really cheapest? Absolutely not, but I don't mind a company making money by selling something I feel is quality and worth what they're selling it for. If you don't like the prices, or the product, or the company (all of which I've inferred from how you've written your posts) why are you spending so much time discussing it?

  Sorry, but GW isn't more expensive, you're kidding yourself.  The main box for 40k costs less and has more figures.  And while yes, GW does have some very expensive optional figures, most of these are large things that aren't even an option on IA.  They also have much cheaper ones too, which IA doesn't have.  If you want any ally packs in IA you're going to pay as much for 2 Jawas as you would for squad in GW.  If you want 2 rancors you're either buying an entire extra box set or going to the secondary market, and if you're going to the secondary market, again GW will be cheaper.

  GW charges premium prices as it seems you're aware.  FF charges MORE.  As I said they've chosen a smaller player base for a higher profit margin.  To beat a dead horse with yet another example X-Wing is a FAR FAR more accessible game than 40k or WF and has the best license on the planet behind it, but it has a TINY player base in comparison, again, because you pay out the butt for a single figure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Union said:

  Sorry, but GW isn't more expensive, you're kidding yourself.  The main box for 40k costs less and has more figures.  And while yes, GW does have some very expensive optional figures, most of these are large things that aren't even an option on IA.  They also have much cheaper ones too, which IA doesn't have.  If you want any ally packs in IA you're going to pay as much for 2 Jawas as you would for squad in GW.  If you want 2 rancors you're either buying an entire extra box set or going to the secondary market, and if you're going to the secondary market, again GW will be cheaper.

  GW charges premium prices as it seems you're aware.  FF charges MORE.  As I said they've chosen a smaller player base for a higher profit margin.  To beat a dead horse with yet another example X-Wing is a FAR FAR more accessible game than 40k or WF and has the best license on the planet behind it, but it has a TINY player base in comparison, again, because you pay out the butt for a single figure.

I think it really depends.  

Not sure about all GW games, but I used to be really into LOTR as a kid.  I remember paying about 10 bucks for a blister back in the day, and now my little brother is into it and he pays about 35-40 for a boxed set of 12ish units.  Those respectively, are pretty comparable prices to SW blisters and mini-boxes (provided you're not getting them at jacked up prices when inventory is low.

Looking on their site, it seems that at least on the online store GW has really jacked up prices since I used to collect.  For instance, the Minas Tirith Citadel Guard Archers (caped guys) and Fountain Court Guards  I think used to be around 10 bucks for a pack of 3.  Now the archers are over 15, while the FC are over 25.  

 

I get that it's not a perfect 1:1 ratio, as GW minis are better quality (at least, they're metal.  I honestly prefer the FFG quality, to be honest).  On the other hand, IA comes with the maps to play on, various cards to use, etc.  It's not a perfect comparison, because they're not really comparable games.  IA is a dungeon crawler, GW makes tabletop wargames.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, you have to remember that you are really paying for the development of each figure pack including all of the associated cards. This is quite a big fraction of the cost that is embedded in the price and goes well beyond the miniature. In the case of IA, each package had to be developed for two games (campaign and Skirmish). So really, it's a two-fer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×