Sign in to follow this  
Boba Rick

Norra Wexley Crew: My Humble Thoughts

She is no fat han, even by a long shot. 
Fat han is a big ship with engine + PWT, He can be super fat with R2D2 and C3P0. That gives him regen as well, or skip that for 'only 2' evades per turn with a gunner in the build. 

So even though norra is a pain in the butt, she is no better than for example corran defensively, her saving grace is her rear arc, making her keep on the defensive greens while shooting back.

Both ships can fall quickly to heavy fire (norra even more so, since you can't luck out with 1 agility), while a fat han never falls quickly unless hit by an entire swarm (but lets phase it, everything dies to an entire swarm) or Uboats. 

Also, she can be outmanoeuvred by TIE interceptors or equivalent. The 'gap' between arcs you're aiming for is tighter than it would be on a firespray, but she's not going to have PS9 like Han or Dengar and there is a predictable blind spot (Unlike Assaj Ventress, where you set your dial assuming you know where the blind spot is and can then find that arc moving, or a hot-shot popping out).

So she's essentially got han's durability with dash rendar's vulnerability to not getting to shoot back.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

Yeah, except both Dash and Han are worth about 60 points. You can't put too much else in your list. They can also be focused right from the start by the opponent's entire list - in fact that is pretty much the only way to kill them - focus them down while you still have a lot of ships.

Norra on the other hand has 2 other ships with her. You can't target her right away because of Biggs. That's why match ups against her become stupidly dice-dependent in the early phase. You get Biggs down fast, get Norra down fast - you win. You don't get so lucky with your dice and lose a ship before Biggs dies - good luck trying to kill Norra now. You've got a single ship left - GG. No way you can get past Norra's guaranteed evade and regen unless the dice REALLY favor you AND you make no mistakes. You might dodge both her arcs if you're skillful - you won't get killed but you sure as hell won't kill her either. Not within the time limit anyway.

PS. I've actually played Norra vs Fat Han recently. Almost felt sorry for the old prick. He did dodge her arcs quite often. He kept hitting her every turn as well. Didn't even matter. She just regenerated everything and kept critting him from the rear arc until he died. In ranges 1-2 he couldn't even use C-3PO. It was kinda sad.

Edited by Lightrock

personally found norra to outlast anything outside dash 1v1. Guaranteed defenses are immense and, unlike crew r2-d2, there's no cap on your shield regen and no risk of crit flipping

in regards to corran, you're far more free to move in a "run away!" manner and you have more hull to tank hits with allowing you more opportunities to run away for full shields before coming back into an engagement

remember, having the ability to be outplayed != weakness. That should be the default game state for every ship (which is why fat PWTs can go die in a fire)

PS. I've actually played Norra vs Fat Han recently. Almost felt sorry for the old prick. He did dodge her arcs quite often. He kept hitting her every turn as well. Didn't even matter. She just regenerated everything and kept critting him from the rear arc until he died. In ranges 1-2 he couldn't even use C-3PO. It was kinda sad.

if by "sad" you mean "Completely deserved"

**** that fat bastard and the **** meta we had to endure for two waves because of him. Tailgunner his c3po away!

Edited by ficklegreendice

So, in another thread a few people were saying that Norra w/ Rainbow Dash were a good mix.  I had to look up what that was, but it looks neat.  Never having done the Fat Turret Outrider, I might give it a chance.    How would you fly it?  Without Biggs, I worry you could just focus down Norra too fast.  

I don't see what's stopping you stacking as much focus as you want onto Rey's card.

Nothing.

can only add one focus to the stack per round is about it

swx57-rey-crew.png

unlike moldy, which just hoards everything it can get its hands on

You can only place one per turn, yes, but you can store as many as you want. The way the OP is written seems to imply only storing one.

I don't have one yet; still trying to fly older releases and don't want to throw the $$$ to addiction that'll sit, but I'm thinking:

Norra Wexley: PTL, BB-8, Kyle Katarn, Title (37)

Shara Bey: Predator, R3-A2, Ezra Bridger, Title (36)

Biggs Darklighter: R4-D6, Integrate Astromech (26)   (ficklegreendice is forcing my hand on this one, haha)

gun to my head, nien nub

4 r2-d2 forwards to gtfo out of horrible compromising positions that you will find yourself in without Biggs

So....are you saying that Norra with Dash should take Nien Nunb as crew?

you aint putting nien on dash, are ya :P?

Har!  No.   I wasn't sure what you were saying in the other quote.  I think you are saying if you don't take Biggs, then you should take Nien Nunb on Norra to get the heck out of there and have it green, but I'm not sure.  So...that's what I'm asking.  

gun to my head, nien nub

4 r2-d2 forwards to gtfo out of horrible compromising positions that you will find yourself in without Biggs

So....are you saying that Norra with Dash should take Nien Nunb as crew?

you aint putting nien on dash, are ya :P?

Har!  No.   I wasn't sure what you were saying in the other quote.  I think you are saying if you don't take Biggs, then you should take Nien Nunb on Norra to get the heck out of there and have it green, but I'm not sure.  So...that's what I'm asking.  

yar, that's what I'm saying

the best defense is not getting shot

i.e Biggs, or running the hell away in case you don't have the former

I really like C3PO on Norra. Allows for 3 regen a turn if need be, or 2 and using her ability offensively. I'd rather rely on my opponent's fickle green dice and be able to tank Inquisitors and Omega Leaders forever and go to time than let my opponent roll one less green that would probably be a miss anyways.

note, c3po doesn't work v omega leader (tailgunner does)

honestly, I've already done the inquisitor endgame. With or without c3po, you're basically invincible so you might as well have tailgunner to actually contribute damage while there's more than one ship per side

norra's 40ish points, she needs to be able to kill something to get to the nearly auto-win end game state

yar, that's what I'm saying

the best defense is not getting shot

i.e Biggs, or running the hell away in case you don't have the former

Thanks.  I'm slow today.  Stayed up too late recording podcast.  Pain meds don't help much, either.   :wacko:

I do want to try that list out at some vague point in time....whenever I can get a game.  Man, I am jealous of those post college, pre marriage days at times.  So....much....free time!

personally found norra to outlast anything outside dash 1v1. Guaranteed defenses are immense and, unlike crew r2-d2, there's no cap on your shield regen and no risk of crit flipping

in regards to corran, you're far more free to move in a "run away!" manner and you have more hull to tank hits with allowing you more opportunities to run away for full shields before coming back into an engagement

remember, having the ability to be outplayed != weakness. That should be the default game state for every ship (which is why fat PWTs can go die in a fire)

if by "sad" you mean "Completely deserved"

**** that fat bastard and the **** meta we had to endure for two waves because of him. Tailgunner his c3po away!

Half of it was probably my first time playing with ARCs, but I played a conner net, TLT toting Ghost that kind of wrecked my ****, even though I killed the bomb-support K-wing before it really had a chance to do anything.  My option with Norra was basically get bumped, eat a massive primary, or get plinked with 4 TLT shots.  Admittedly, like a good half of my upgrades were worthless, since I had tail gunner/stress gunner arcs.  Biggs died in one round due to a 3 damage Ghost shot followed up by TLT.

Well, I'm definitely going to put some more playing time into Norra to see which crew I like best.  In theory I'm not impressed with a crew member that only removes a single green die from the opponent, but theory and practice are two different things. 

once you realize that the difference between 0 damage and 1 damage is literally infinite (ie "how many turns does it take to kill X while doing 0 damage a turn versus 1 damage?"), you start to realize that it's a measly 2 points well spent

except v VCXs and VT-49s, and that's literally it

there's also the flip-side that this perception of "only 1 enemy green die" is somehow a lesser benefit than a focus on a 1 agility ship (KK), which often does far less

once you realize that the difference between 0 damage and 1 damage is literally infinite (ie "how many turns does it take to kill X while doing 0 damage a turn versus 1 damage?"), you start to realize that it's a measly 2 points well spent

there's also the flip-side that this perception of "only 1 enemy green die" is somehow a lesser benefit than a focus on a 1 agility ship (KK), which often does far less

Well, what I like about KK is that he frees up an action.  So, say you do a 2 green bank, get a free focus, you now can do a free boost - making a ship that is not very maneuverable much more maneuverable.  Like I said, I'm no expert but I'm not impressed with simply removing a green die, I feel like there's got to be something better. 

What about a wingman that is much more threatening and therefore distracting enough to give Norra time to turn around?  Biggs is there, but what about a Lothal Rebel with accuracy corrector and TLT?  Or give the rear arc an extra red die with Jan Ors HWK?  Do I really want to remove an opponent's green die when I can put Threepio on there and make this ship last forever?

I think I'm just going to have to fly it a lot to make up my mind.  :)  

Edited by Boba Rick

I really liked R7-T1, PTL, and Tail Gunner on her. As someone else posted its really hard to get turned back around with her, and with that rear arc and Tail Gunner canceling a green dice, she is pretty deadly.  R7-T1 Also gives her some extra re positioning ability and action economy.

A friend of mine also did tactician, R3-A2, for the new stress hog.  Worked pretty well. 

Well, what I like about KK is that he frees up an action.  So, say you do a 2 green bank, get a free focus, you now can do a free boost - making a ship that is not very maneuverable much more maneuverable.  Like I said, I'm no expert but I'm not impressed with simply removing a green die, I feel like there's got to be something better. 

What about a wingman that is much more threatening and therefore distracting enough to give Norra time to turn around?  Biggs is there, but what about a Lothal Rebel with accuracy corrector and TLT?  Or give the rear arc an extra red die with Jan Ors HWK?  Do I really want to remove an opponent's green die when I can put Threepio on there and make this ship last forever?

basically

though I really envy anyone who thinks they can do any damage without mitigating green dice to the fullest possible extent

which is why I don't use c3po on her (well that and juke and omega leader and zuckuss and TLTs and...tailgunner)

basically

though I really envy anyone who thinks they can do any damage without mitigating green dice to the fullest possible extent

which is why I don't use c3po on her (well that and juke and omega leader and zuckuss and TLTs and...tailgunner)

That's the thing though, it's such a weak effect.  If Tailgunner turned an evade symbol to an eyeball or a blank, or acted like homing missiles and removed the ability to spend a evade token... then I'd be instantly sold.  If the opponent has no focus tokens then it has a 37.5% of being effective, if he does have one then it's 62.5% - and that's IF you're shooting out the back, which limits WHEN you are going to use it.  Some of these crew have the potential to be used every turn and sometimes multiple times in a turn.

If someone is in front of me I'm shooting out the front!  Instead of trying to figure out how to help a 2 dice attack, why not figure out a way to use the front arc more? 

basically

That's the thing though, it's such a weak effect.  If Tailgunner turned an evade symbol to an eyeball or a blank, or acted like homing missiles and removed the ability to spend a evade token... then I'd be instantly sold.  If the opponent has no focus tokens then it has a 37.5% of being effective, if he does have one then it's 62.5% - and that's IF you're shooting out the back, which limits WHEN you are going to use it.  Some of these crew have the potential to be used every turn and sometimes multiple times in a turn.

If someone is in front of me I'm shooting out the front!  Instead of trying to figure out how to help a 2 dice attack, why not figure out a way to use the front arc more? 

because

1.) you're flying an aux arc ship

2.) you're flying an aux arc ship with PTL (Self stress)

3.) you're not flying an aux arc defender or some other such ship with a white/green manuever that flips you 180 degrees

4.) trying to red maneuver 4k to leverage your front arc while stressed = a bad time

instead of firing out the front arc, just pay 2 points to make your rear arc essentially just as damaging

if you want to use the primary arc more, you'd be better off with literally any other ship as they're not paying points for (or literally being designed around) the auxiliary arc. Pilots such as Poe and Corran, who can also play the regen game at higher pilot skills, are pretty perfect examples

the ARC is not a jouster. It was quite explicitly made to not joust, because it has a very clear alternative to it in its auxiliary arc

the aux arc literally the whole reason for the ship's existence, as chopping it off pretty much leaves you with one of the most overccosted ships in the game compared to even the lowly B-wing. It defines its playstyle, sets it apart from every other ship on the roster and makes it the unique experience that it is

finally, -1 agi isn't weak at all. It's absolutely huge as it increases your minimum potential damage by sometimes an actual infinite amount (specifically 1 over 0), and it is quite explicitly what lets norra (a 40+ point ship) hurt...basically everything but 2 ships (the 0 abilities) in the game

which isn't to say people shouldn't experiment (that's how I got to my "**** it, you need tailgunner to do anything" conclusion), but it does make me scratch my head that people expect to use the primary firing arc so often when the ship has explicitly designed with two arcs. It is basically ignoring the reason to take the ship in the first place, minus the beautiful model. It'd be like fielding the Outrider and expecting it to play like the ghost

I lol at people saying -1 agility isn't that great.  Tractor tokens ruin everyone's day and Wedge is considered to have a great pilot ability only restricted by being stuck in a T-65.

Edited by Zefirus

One thing I am considering is switching R2-D2 for BB-8 and Vectored Thrusters for Engine Upgrade. Ok here my out with both droids you're aiming for green maneuvers. So You BB-8 for a baroll roll and then use PTL to trigger EU to give you a speed boost (something you may want if planning on using the AU). Than the green maneuver gets rid of stress and then regular action. I say this because now you can arc dodge a bit better and it brings the cheaper tail gunner into the mix again. 
Problem is that arc dodging at PS 7 isn't that reliable and not using R2-D2 doesn't let you get shields back which can really suck. But hey ho it's an alternative build.