Sign in to follow this  
derroehre

Black market price of a valid Bounty Hunter License

Imagine you had a valid Bounty Hunter License lying around, from a formerly alive friend, (possibly helmet wearing) and somebody would want to buy it from you (possibly along with the helmet)...how much would you want for that?

I know there are people with a much bigger library on this forum, maybe somebody knows more than me and is willing to share his knowledge. I'm thinking very expensive, middle class starship area.

As I see it, an official bounty hunter license doesn't magically open all the doors for you, but especially in the Outer Rim area it might help you get around when dealing with the law for example.

The thing is, I see the bounty hunter license as an extension to the Imperial Peace-Keeping Certificate. For a PC in my game I gave them the option of gaining an black market IPKC/BH License through a Hutt contact in return for additional Obligation, just for the amount of high-end slicing (and the contacts with working knowledge of such a system) that would likely be involved.

So yeah, I would go with a starship equivalent cost (or Obligation of 10-15) for the amount of effort of having one hunter's credentials altered on the license for another to use (or they could instead use fake ID themselves in order to use the license).

Probably be easier for the new hunter to just acquire the helmet and apply for their own license through legitimate (Imperial or Guild) means... Unless they've unfortunately got a bit of a bad rep with the imps and need a black market license!

Just my thoughts.

Edited by MDR101

If they are going to assume the identity of the former Bounty Hunter then the price would hinge on the Reputation of the individual.  The license itself is one thing, but it being attached to someone with a particular reputation can adjust how many more doors are opened.  

Think Princess Bride - whoever assumes the title of the Dread Pirate Roberts gains the Reputation earned from the Previous ones. So the Person buying the Helmet and License would inherit the Reputation of the Previous Bounty Hunter. As long as the death of said Bounty Hunter is not well known. 

I hadn't considered the previous bounty hunter to be that famous... The comment about a specific helmet has me curious about that. Takeshi certainly makes a valid point about the additional 'baggage' the next bounty hunter may have to deal with in as far as the previous hunter's reputation.

PCs obtain credentials like that with Obligation at my table and they aren't just an ID card, through whatever narrative explanation you like they are intimately linked to the possessor, so upon their death it would be valueless.

Acquiring the licence and helmet of an infamous bounty hunter? Congratulations, you have literally become Jodo Kast, the WEG expy for a certain well-known bounty hunter. He was basically a no-mark, who was cosplaying as his idol.  A bit of forgery on the certificate, and who would know?

"Well, you say you're authorised to carry this highly restricted Missile Tube and Flamethrower here, mister... 'Booba Feet'...?"

"Yes, that's me - I am the one and only Booba Feet as it says right there on that certificate!"

I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

4129260265_152b876a1e.jpg

The way I remember it from WEG's bouny hunter sourcebook, an IPKC (or "bounty hunter lisence") was really, really hard to forge. Among other things it has the recipient's DNA profile encoded on it, along with a picture and other biometrics. This information is also stored in central law enforcement computers so that it can be cross-checked against anyone carrying the lisence.

The way I remember it from WEG's bouny hunter sourcebook, an IPKC (or "bounty hunter lisence") was really, really hard to forge. Among other things it has the recipient's DNA profile encoded on it, along with a picture and other biometrics. This information is also stored in central law enforcement computers so that it can be cross-checked against anyone carrying the lisence.

So, in other words, you need lots of connections and credits :D

"You say you need the DNA profile changed? That'll be 5,000 credits, and 3 unspecified favors at a later date."