Sign in to follow this  
Do I need a Username

The Curious case of the X-wing

To be honest, I never really looked at the old X-Wing fixes much until quite recently. Up until the last couple months or so, I've been a die-hard Imperial player. I do agree, though, the varying firepower idea would be a neat fix for the X-Wing. However, I personally would like to see a fix based around movement rather than firepower. 

Edited by Underachiever599

Back in X-wing the PC game, which actually holds up pretty well, the X-wing could single, dual or quad linked fire.  The upside of quad was landing massive damage on a maneuverable fighter when you line up that one shot.  Dual is a half measure and single allows you to output continuous fire to have the best chance at getting a shot.

If we take the standard X-wing as single fire then a dual/quad upgrade option ala Adaptability makes sense.

Dual Linked Fire

Reduce weapon value by 1, you may fire twice during combat and cancel 1 green focus result.

Quad Linked Fire

When firing primary weapon, if your attack hits you may cancel the dice results and deal 4 damage, take 1 stress token if you do

Edited by Jetfire

I don't see any need for reactionary play, esp given the recent move to lower pilot skills (especially scouts, but also x7s down from palp aces)

they just need to either be better at rolling dice for their cost or they have to do something else

Most pilots already do something else. Some like Luke do not enough of that something else. And wedge is imho just too expensive. New Pilot cards for those would be cool. We get a new Poe, so why not a new Luke?

I'd just like for the 4 K-turn to be a white maneuver.

That is something I am telling for a long time, though it would help X-Wings not much against scouts, and it would not help luke or wedge much anyway. Those two need imho new pilot cards.

Edited by SEApocalypse

I don't see any need for reactionary play, esp given the recent move to lower pilot skills (especially scouts, but also x7s down from palp aces)

they just need to either be better at rolling dice for their cost or they have to do something else

Most pilots already do something else. Some like Luke do not enough of that something else. And wedge is imho just too expensive. New Pilot cards for those would be cool. We get a new Poe, so why not a new Luke?

the two pilots quoted are not doing "something" else

they're rolling dice, or "better" dice as the case may be (built in modifiers from pilot ability)

two pilots do "something else", those are Biggs and Wes (ie the two seeing any competitive play)

their abilities don' give two diddlies what the dice say, their abilities work and greatly affect the game regardless (esp biggs, who has possibly the single most game influencing ability of any pilot)

This thread's topic is worn out, but the thread starter with no name was very eloquent in its beginnings; making the thread almost readable without throwing up in my mouth (which is quite unusual for X-Wing fix threads). But, albeit a good thread on a bad topic; I cannot help myself:

DF5C86C7-DEC5-4678-A013-5D94DDE0914F.png

Edited by clanofwolves

Wedge's ability does so much you can almost run him barebutt naked and he'll do work. R2 astro, IA, and Lightning Reflexes gives him an unusually good edge in the fight because all he really needs is the ability to get behind the initial joust, from then on his ability reaps people's heads.

Luke i'd say is the only xwing/t70 pilot that has an EPT that has an utter trash ability. Im not a fan of Poe's either but atleast it has a dual effect so you get it more. The other pilots are limited by lack of an EPT and the droid that gives you an EPT costs way more than it looks like it does, since often the reason these ships become a threat is because of the astromech. That card should have put a negative cost on your EPT, not increase it.

Hobbie for instance has a gnarly ability that absolutely LOVES Targeting Astro. But, no ept. Timing issues probably prevent PTL on him from removing the stress on PTL but he'd be an awesome Outmaneuver or even Lone Wolf since hes probably the only one doing that 4K he might get range3 from his allies.

Garven would be awesome if you could give him VI so that focus dump actually goes on someone powerful. Again though, removing the gimick of the mech for an EPT is NOT worth it.

"Red Ace" obviously would love Juke. Again, mech > ept. This is probably the closest one i'd say would be worth it though.

"Blue Ace" would be AWESOME with the BB8 PTL shenanigans. He'd be a nightmare even if he is PS5. Only ship that can EASILY approach you head on then suddenly face you squarely on the side. Reveal green 2-3, BB8 away, PTL into Focus or TL, do green to clear stress, hardboost. Awesomesauce.

Though i still use Blue Ace alot because that hardboost is that awesome.

Edited by Vineheart01

Crap action efficiency,

It's sad that normal action efficiency is considered "crap".   Still, that's what special abilities, EPTs, and astromechs are for.

Also, I've known people to do very well with 5 Kihraxz Fighters.  Oh, sure, they didn't win Worlds, but how many people actually go to those events?

Define normal. Whichever way you cut it, one action and no repositioning or additional dice modification is becoming comparatively worse and worse over time and that squeezes out any generic ship although some benefit from good titles which give them action efficiency to compete (adv prototype title). A lot of increased action efficiency options are becoming 'normal' now. Scum are a good example of this ( Triple Jump Chumps aside). Effectiveness of palp aces type builds in current standings hasn't made the problem any less pronounced. So 'normal' is not enough anymore. Even rebels are starting to see more shenanigans (ARCs are a good example), but they aren't available to the T-65, or B or Y or most other dial and focus ships, which happen to make up a significant chunk of the rebel stable. Astromechs, which you highlight, have never been good enough to make up that gap and are mostly pretty laughable, except as ammo for integrated or in corner case builds. FFG have been afraid of giving the rebels strong astromechs, bar a few uniques, since the start and this doesn't seem to be in any danger of changing (R3 anyone?).

Sure, I have seen and flown 4X and 5 K-Thingy lists. I love the ships. But the fact that fewer and fewer meta lists meet the 'competitive standard' is just showing the lack of balance that is developing. As more and more options exist, fewer and fewer ships seem to be capable of meeting that bar. The comparative lack of players at competitive events is less relevant when compared to the severely restricted list of archetypes in the builds which do show up there. I know Jump Chumps are a huge factor here (proving the consistency of bad design at work). Either way it's makes competitive play less and less attractive and that hurts the game and the community.

Not finished reading the thread yet but I wholeheartedly agree with this. I usually only go to local tournies as I don't really enjoy going to regional's or above and playing the same meta lists all day. We have had a slow creep of people who are out for win though and now we have the inevitable meta lists showing up at the fun local tournies. It seems like 90% of my collection is now relegated to fun or casual games as fewer and fewer of these ships can compete with the new wave. Of which I also feel are coming a bit too quick. Whilst everyones enjoying wave 9 I've still got an unopened Imperial Veterans and TAP. I really enjoy the game but balance issues are becoming very apparent.

I actually agree with both sides of this argument:

X-Wings can open and close their S-Foils during battles

X-Wings don't fire when their S-Foils are closed

Hence S-Foils, if they are to exist, must behave like a cloak action - giving a defensive and maneuverability boost and prohibiting all firing.

Or it is to dissipate the heat from the weapons into the "space ether"

Technically deploying them to dissipate heat is a valid excuse. Which would be one of the few things starwars gets right for physics.

Heat only transfers via physical contact, radiation, or through the air. Last one is the main way things cool off on earth but thats not a possibility in space. That leaves physical contact, or radiation. Physical contact would only be the ship itself as there is nothing in space except tiny dust particles, which wouldnt really help. Only way anything in space can get rid of heat is radiation, which is actually REALLY slow. Astronauts comment about this a fair bit if you look up an interview about the ship/satellite theyre working on.

Im not sure if creating more surface area affects radiation cooling (dont feel like reminding myself the proper terminology) but i could see it being a thing.

Rather than start yet another thread I thought I'd post my idea of a fix here.

Title

Yavin 4 Conversion

-1pt

X-wing Only

You must equip an astromech in order to equip this card.

You cannot equip this if your upgrade bar has a <tech> slot or if you are pilot skill 5.

You can equip one additional modification upgrade that costs 0 points.

--

Effectively, cheaper astromechs all-round, prevents 5 T-65s being run together and either integrated astromech/guidance chips to be included alongside another mod like engine upgrade or vectored thrusters.

You could make Xwings into great ordinance carriers or bulky tanks. 

Can't be used on T-70s or Biggs/Hobbie (Mostly trying to not buff Biggs' durability, sorry Hobbie)

Too much of a buff?

Just throwing the idea out there really. Might be terrible.

Rather than start yet another thread I thought I'd post my idea of a fix here.

Title

Yavin 4 Conversion

-1pt

X-wing Only

You must equip an astromech in order to equip this card.

You cannot equip this if your upgrade bar has a <tech> slot or if you are pilot skill 5.

You can equip one additional modification upgrade that costs 0 points.

--

Effectively, cheaper astromechs all-round, prevents 5 T-65s being run together and either integrated astromech/guidance chips to be included alongside another mod like engine upgrade or vectored thrusters.

You could make Xwings into great ordinance carriers or bulky tanks. 

Can't be used on T-70s or Biggs/Hobbie (Mostly trying to not buff Biggs' durability, sorry Hobbie)

Too much of a buff?

Just throwing the idea out there really. Might be terrible.

Biggs already has a one point mech that lives in that slot thanks to IA (R4-D6 is the go-to, but any will do in a pinch) and decreasing his price by a single point wouldn't break him.

A simple point reduction on the X Wing would mean a lot for some of the mid PS pilots. Garven, Tarn and Hobbie all have good abilities (for the latter two, you need the correct astromech, it course), but they all suffer from the cost of the X Wing chassis. 27 points for Hobbie plus Targetting is Stresshog money, but he has a fraction of the impact on the game.