Sign in to follow this  
PinkTaco

Broke off peg in my jumpmaster.

18 posts into a thread titled "Broke off peg in my jumpmaster" and not a single innuendo.  I don't know whether to be impressed or worried about you guys... :D

And when posted by an OP with the tag of "PinkTaco", believe me it's been a struggle to refrain!

well i tried the super glue tactic.  that was a terrible idea.

all that happened was the glue spread over the whole peg when i squished the two parts together.  I tried to use as little as possible, but an amount that wouldnt spread wasn't enough to actually get a hold.  so now the broken piece is basically glued into the ship base.

worst.

You, you kind of locked yourself now into the magnet mod mode, as you killed any further use of the female socket quit effectively with your use of glue. But hey, magnets are cool anyway.

i have zero interest in investing the time and effort to magnetize the ship.  id have to get the tools, the parts, construct it... bleh.  i just wanna play xwing.  im not a painter or hobbyist like that.

all that happened was the glue spread over the whole peg when i squished the two parts together.  I tried to use as little as possible, but an amount that wouldnt spread wasn't enough to actually get a hold.  so now the broken piece is basically glued into the ship base.

worst.

The peg broke off of my Decimator and my Jumpmaster, and I haven't tried to fix either yet. It is safe to say I am going to learn from your mistake and just start with magnetizing and skip the glue frustration.

Again, skip the glue entirely. A simple pin or drawing pin, push it carefully into the broken bit of peg and you should be able to pull it out. Simple as that.

I had something similar happen when the base of a tie fighter broke off in the Gozanti docking port. I tried tweezers and glue to get it out but neither worked.

I then used mounting putty/poster tac to pull it out successfully.

I had this happen on my Slave 1 and the broken off piece was completely down inside the female connector, so no tweezers or pliers were going to work.  Tried super glue and also found that it didn't work.  What I ended up doing was heating up a safety pin with a lighter and inserting it into the piece of broken peg. After waiting for it to cool the peg came out rather easily. 

worst.

You, you kind of locked yourself now into the magnet mod mode, as you killed any further use of the female socket quit effectively with your use of glue. But hey, magnets are cool anyway.

i have zero interest in investing the time and effort to magnetize the ship.  id have to get the tools, the parts, construct it... bleh.  i just wanna play xwing.  im not a painter or hobbyist like that.

The tool is glue, the parts are two magnets, the construction is just gluing the magnets onto the pegs. Outside of just buying a new Jumpmaster is is literally the least work at this point. Now you could just buy a new one and offer your old one for sale.People will happily give you at least half your money back and magnetize the ship themselves. So it's basically a just $10 less for you, which is still cheaper than magnet modding it yourself if you consider the time spend on it.

Edited by SEApocalypse

The tool is glue, the parts are two magnets, the construction is just gluing the magnets onto the pegs.

It's not even 2 magnets. The best way of doing it is with a plain nickel plated ball bearing and a single ring magnet.

Step 1:

clipping-post-off-x-wing-miniature-with-

Step 2:

gluing-magnet-to-x-wing-miniature-games-

Step 3:

x-wing-miniatures-post-prep-sprue-cutter

Step 4:

Glue the ball onto the top of the peg like the previous two pictures I posted.

Here's the whole tutorial.

Seriously though, Pink Taco: I am a serial converter. The kind of crazy hobbyist who runs a blog for converting miniatures for a game I barely ever play (40K, not X-Wing), just because I love cutting up plastic toys and putting them back together in cooler ways.

Magnetizing my X-Wing stuff was so easy a caveman could do it. Was so easy I wondered if it was even worth writing an article about on my site. Requires no skill and minimal tools. Snips and a file. Might even be able to borrow them from somebody at your local game store. Snip, glue. Snip, glue, glue. Done.

Magnetizing my X-Wing stuff was so easy a caveman could do it. Was so easy I wondered if it was even worth writing an article about on my site. Requires no skill and minimal tools. Snips and a file. Might even be able to borrow them from somebody at your local game store. Snip, glue. Snip, glue, glue. Done.

its not really about difficulty.  its about components.  i dont have any.  and its about if i do one im gonna have to do the rest.  which i dont really wanna do.  lazyness and all.  Modding like that isn't really my thing so it just comes off as work to me.

with that said ive been looking around the tutorials on magnets and one thing im curious about is why does everyone remove the plastic female components on the ships?  why not just leave it and glue the magnet on the end?  personal preference?

Edited by PinkTaco

why not just leave it and glue the magnet on the end?  personal preference?

The female part comes easily off, it literally is the second most common issue people have with the x-wing models, female connectors coming off. The most common is breaking pegs, because of size variances as not all pegs are equal.

But as I said, selling the old one and buying a new one should work fine if you really would feel to urge to magnetize all, just because you have done it once.

Not that I personally would mind, we are sometimes uneven numbers in the club, so working on the models while watching others play their round would be fine for me. But I don't have the urge to do them all if I just don one, so it's easy to say for me. :)

You could always try FFG support too, I hear a lot good things about them in model replacement.

why not just leave it and glue the magnet on the end?  personal preference?

The female part comes easily off, it literally is the second most common issue people have with the x-wing models, female connectors coming off. The most common is breaking pegs, because of size variances as not all pegs are equal.

But as I said, selling the old one and buying a new one should work fine if you really would feel to urge to magnetize all, just because you have done it once.

Not that I personally would mind, we are sometimes uneven numbers in the club, so working on the models while watching others play their round would be fine for me. But I don't have the urge to do them all if I just don one, so it's easy to say for me. :)

You could always try FFG support too, I hear a lot good things about them in model replacement.

so its not really a required step then?  cuz i probably wouldnt bother with that...

Well I think now im going to attempt to clean off the superglue with some acetone and try the hot needle trick.  if that still doesn't work, then i guess its magnets.   I was going to contact FFG but their support page now sends you to the company that bought FFG out, and its THEIR policy now.  Which doesnt look like it covers this situation.  So i may be SOL here.  I'll have to attempt it later when i can get some pictures at home.

Edited by PinkTaco