Sign in to follow this  
PinkTaco

Broke off peg in my jumpmaster.

I was taking my peg stand out of my jumpmaster last night and would you know it, it broke off perfectly into my jumpmaster's female connector.  Soooo now its basically impossible to attach it to a base unless i can do something... Has anyone had this issue? or any suggestions as to what i can do? contact FF? maybe some tricks to get it out? 

Edited by PinkTaco

Take a small drill bit and drill the chunk left inside the mini out until you can pull out the clear plastic, then a standard male peg will fit back into the hole.

Or alternatively, take a drill bit the dame diameter as a bas peg, drill out a hole, clip off the female end of a base peg, and glue it on in there.

Or magnets.

If you're going to drill, you could likely use a really small bit and just pull the broken part out.

Also if you're careful a little drop of superglue could glue the two parts of the peg back together then you could pull it out.

I think im going to try your second suggestion with the glue first, and if it doesn't work, go the drill route.

thanks everyone.

Edited by PinkTaco

As others have said, drill a small hole in the part of the peg that's stuck in the jumpmaater, then you should be able to pull it out.

If you don't have a drill bit small enough, you can use a pin. Carefully push a pun into the stuck part of the peg and you should be able to lever it out.

Had this happen before myself, just needs a bit of patience

Surprised nobody's said to magnetize it yet.  A useless ship connector is a great reason to make the jump to magnetized ships.

someone did i think, but thats going down a road i really dont have any interest in going down.

It's the peg that's broken, not the ship, and it happened in use.

There's really no excuse to try and scrounge a replacement model from FFG other than pure greed. If there's a defect or broken parts on purchase or items missing from the pack, fair enough. But something as trivial and easily fixed as this? Ridiculous.

It's the peg that's broken, not the ship, and it happened in use.

There's really no excuse to try and scrounge a replacement model from FFG other than pure greed. If there's a defect or broken parts on purchase or items missing from the pack, fair enough. But something as trivial and easily fixed as this? Ridiculous.

the problem is, that essentially if i cant fix it, the ship becomes un-usable for play.  And it was literally the first time I used the ship lol.

Edited by PinkTaco

I'd push a pin into the what's left inside the female connector. If you're lucky you should be able to pull the remains of the peg straight back out... If not then a tiny dab of superglue/crazy glue on the pin will create a strong enough bond to get what's left of the peg out of the connector on the ship.

I figure once you've got the peg out you probably have enough spare pegs that you'll be okay after that. If not, it's a nice excuse to invest in some of those cool coloured ship bases.

I was taking my peg stand out of my jumpmaster last night and would you know it, it broke off perfectly into my jumpmaster's female connector.  Soooo now its basically impossible to attach it to a base unless i can do something... Has anyone had this issue? or any suggestions as to what i can do? contact FF? maybe some tricks to get it out? 

If you are interested in modeling/modifications/painting/etc., look into getting a pin vise or jewelers reamer. Its basically a tiny drill that will allow you to dig into the broken bit and then you should be able to get some purchase on it an remove it, if not drill it out completely.

if not ...

I'd push a pin into the what's left inside the female connector. If you're lucky you should be able to pull the remains of the peg straight back out... If not then a tiny dab of superglue/crazy glue on the pin will create a strong enough bond to get what's left of the peg out of the connector on the ship.

I figure once you've got the peg out you probably have enough spare pegs that you'll be okay after that. If not, it's a nice excuse to invest in some of those cool coloured ship bases.

Edited by kris40k

I had a similar thing happen. I got a narrow probe (sort of like a long needle with a handle) and heated the tip with a torch. Pushed the heated tip of the probe into the stub of the plastic peg left in the socket (it glided in with little resistance), waited for it to cool, then pulled the probe with the stub attached out smoothly.

A needle and lighter will do the same job, as long as you have something to hold it with when heating it. Just be careful to keep the pin centered when it's going in, hold it fairly steady while it's cooling (once it's able to hold it's own position, leave it for another while to fully cool; you want the weld to fix before withdrawing), then draw out the pin slowly and firmly.

Surprised nobody's said to magnetize it yet.  A useless ship connector is a great reason to make the jump to magnetized ships.

someone did i think, but thats going down a road i really dont have any interest in going down.
I think the parts to do 20 ships cost me like $12 shipped (price gets better the more volume you get since the magnets themselves are cents apiece), and then an hour of time to achieve.

Magnetizing is the best thing that you can ever do in X-Wing.  Teh bets.

But, if you like pushing around regular old boring and lame ships on pegs, flying on a flat plane for their entire mediocre existences, FFG's customer service is supposedly pretty good. ;)

The only downside green stuff on the peg to hold the magnet in place. Paint it black so it is ignored.

Gap-filling super glue and a groove filed along the top to give more surface area work perfectly. No Green Stuff needed.

ring-magnet-x-wing-miniatures-post-steel 

x-wing-miniatures-post-steel-ball-bearin

well i tried the super glue tactic.  that was a terrible idea.

all that happened was the glue spread over the whole peg when i squished the two parts together.  I tried to use as little as possible, but an amount that wouldnt spread wasn't enough to actually get a hold.  so now the broken piece is basically glued into the ship base.

worst.

You can drill out the broken part from the female connector.

The female connector is not round, so I would not advise it. Usually you can pull that male peg out of the socket. At worst you should need a tweezer. Drilling a small hole might help to use the tweezer to get the male part out. If everyone fails. be ready to just magnet mod ^-^

all that happened was the glue spread over the whole peg when i squished the two parts together.  I tried to use as little as possible, but an amount that wouldnt spread wasn't enough to actually get a hold.  so now the broken piece is basically glued into the ship base.

worst.

You, you kind of locked yourself now into the magnet mod mode, as you killed any further use of the female socket quit effectively with your use of glue. But hey, magnets are cool anyway.

Edited by SEApocalypse

worst.

The peg broke off of my Decimator and my Jumpmaster, and I haven't tried to fix either yet. It is safe to say I am going to learn from your mistake and just start with magnetizing and skip the glue frustration.