Sign in to follow this  
Talos63

Small monster bases won't accept cardboard chit

I've had my game just over a week now. I've been cleaning up the miniatures to paint. I own all of 1e so I could use the conversion kit chits for the monsters. The new, smallest size bases just can't take the chit in the slot. I've filled, scraped and sanded, but it still won't go in. By comparison the conversion kit chits slid into the 1e bases with no resistance at all.

Has anybody else found this problem? The medium and large bases are fine, but all of the small bases have this problem.

I've emailed CS about the issue. Hopefully they can provide functional replacements, as I like to use the miniatures on the board.

I've had my game just over a week now. I've been cleaning up the miniatures to paint. I own all of 1e so I could use the conversion kit chits for the monsters. The new, smallest size bases just can't take the chit in the slot. I've filled, scraped and sanded, but it still won't go in. By comparison the conversion kit chits slid into the 1e bases with no resistance at all.

Has anybody else found this problem? The medium and large bases are fine, but all of the small bases have this problem.

I've emailed CS about the issue. Hopefully they can provide functional replacements, as I like to use the miniatures on the board.

I absolutely ran into this.  There is a new mold for the 2e bases (obviously, but also look closely, the 1e had circular "feet" in the molding, the 2e have a new elongated set of "feet" -- not to mention the corrugation they molded into 2e in an attempt to obviously hold the tokens more firmly).  They went overboard, and 2e should probably not be defined as "changeable" when it comes to the tokens.

Skip all that, though. The WORST part about 2e bases is that the hooks on the edge don't hold tokens in them!

All my 1e (and by extension, premium figure) bases hold a token in the hook fine.  2e, they drop right out.

HORRIBLE "upgrade" to 2nd edition. 

Thanks for the replies. Dulcaoin, you are very observant! I hadn't noticed the change in the mold. I had just assumed it was a bad batch. On comparison, the 'feet' you mentioned are indeed different, and the hook has a totally different profile, going from thick at the bottom to thin at the top on the contact edge. The 1e base hooks are of a uniform thickness on the contact edge and bevelled on the outside instead.

I wouldn't have raised this with customer service if it hadn't affected all 18 small bases. I'm not prepared to waste my time and money chewing through x-acto blades and sanding sticks to fix something systemic. That's time I could be using to paint the miniatures or be playing the game!

The biggest issue of all is that I want to use these figures across the Arkham Horror Files range. I own all the games (except the card game) and want to be able to swap the chits easily without damaging them. That's what they were designed for!

Thanks for the replies. Dulcaoin, you are very observant!

I hadn't noticed the change in the mold. I had just assumed it was a bad batch. On comparison, the 'feet' you mentioned are indeed different, and the hook has a totally different profile, going from thick at the bottom to thin at the top on the contact edge. The 1e base hooks are of a uniform thickness on the contact edge and bevelled on the outside instead.

I wouldn't have raised this with customer service if it hadn't affected all 18 small bases. I'm not prepared to waste my time and money chewing through x-acto blades and sanding sticks to fix something systemic. That's time I could be using to paint the miniatures or be playing the game!

The biggest issue of all is that I want to use these figures across the Arkham Horror Files range. I own all the games (except the card game) and want to be able to swap the chits easily without damaging them. That's what they were designed for!

Thanks, Talos.  Most people like to use 'anal' to describe me and my habits, I like your characterization much better (grin).

I've actually noticed since I've been receiving shipments of the premium figures lately (now that the remaining last painted monsters were released thanks to the MAD2 release), and the difference is really noticeable, especially given that with premium figures, you still want to use an Xacto knife to trim off any foot pegs and glue left over from the figure being glued in -- they will tear tokens as badly as anything in the new bases.  The premium bases are obviously 1st edition bases, and when I look at them and my 1st edition bases, I see the blank smoothness inside the token slot.  The 2e bases have that "corrugated" (rippled) effect molded in -- I caught my blade on some of the high points when I trimmed foot pegs with 2nd edition.

Trading in and out tokens with those bases is a dream -- ALMOST too lose, and I can *sort of* understand someone's thinking that a new mold might help keep them from being too loose, but I have at least two torn up tokens thanks to those newer bases.  At this point, to me, "Premium" doesn't just mean painted, it also means bases that work.

Regarding what you're calling "the biggest issue of all," I'm 100% in the club with you on that.  Every time I see people complain about the bases, I want to respond "they did that for a reason, and those of us with legacy bases would not be happy had they changed!" (but it comes up so often I don't always see the point).  I happen to think we're a small club, however.

The problem here is, the new bases AREN'T compatible, not really, and even your "normal" player, resolved (dare I cheekily say "doomed?" :-P) to play only MAD2 with his/her figures, is going to suffer from trying to use ID tokens that simply won't work!

I never thought I'd think of 1e components as the better grab here, but in this case, the value of older stuff has even further advantage.

I really hope your raising this with their customer service department gets the Right People to understand that the mold change is a big problem (even for the "casual" player of MAD2), and then I hope their solution is to fix the mold, rather than change it yet again.  hope, hope hope... ;-)

Edited by dulcaoin

I find it really odd that FFG would retool the mold for the bases when the first mold worked perfectly! That strikes me as unnecessary (and possibly large) expense. I actually played around with a few of my painted and based 1e figures with the 2e chits inserted. Yes, the chits slide in and out quite easily, but none of the bases lost it's chit until I literally shook it like was in a hardware store paint mixer (even then it didn't fall right out). Subject to normal use, I cant see that happening.

I have been a huge fan of MoM since 1e, and 2e for me is wonderful as so many of the issues with 1e are resolved, and I don't currently have a regular gaming group but I can still play as often as I like thanks to the app. I may be sounding hypercritical, but this problem with the bases, and some poor quality molding on the figures themselves, are the only negatives I can raise regarding 2e. I hope it becomes a long-standing success for FFG and we might look forward to the entire range of miniatures being released with future expansions.

I feel it's important that this basing issue gets resolved sooner rather than later as it will affect ongoing use of the figure range. There are many people on BGG who are already saying they just use the chits rather than mess about with the figures. :blink: I can't imagine playing the game without the figures... and I don't want to try!

I find it really odd that FFG would retool the mold for the bases when the first mold worked perfectly!

That strikes me as unnecessary (and possibly large) expense. I actually played around with a few of my painted and based 1e figures with the 2e chits inserted. Yes, the chits slide in and out quite easily, but none of the bases lost it's chit until I literally shook it like was in a hardware store paint mixer (even then it didn't fall right out). Subject to normal use, I cant see that happening.

I have been a huge fan of MoM since 1e, and 2e for me is wonderful as so many of the issues with 1e are resolved, and I don't currently have a regular gaming group but I can still play as often as I like thanks to the app. I may be sounding hypercritical, but this problem with the bases, and some poor quality molding on the figures themselves, are the only negatives I can raise regarding 2e. I hope it becomes a long-standing success for FFG and we might look forward to the entire range of miniatures being released with future expansions.

I feel it's important that this basing issue gets resolved sooner rather than later as it will affect ongoing use of the figure range. There are many people on BGG who are already saying they just use the chits rather than mess about with the figures. :blink: I can't imagine playing the game without the figures... and I don't want to try!

I find it really odd that FFG would retool the mold for the bases when the first mold worked perfectly!

Yeah, I was trying to be devil's advocate on that one. I don't "get it" either.

I may be sounding hypercritical, but this problem with the bases, and some poor quality molding on the figures themselves, are the only negatives I can raise regarding 2e.

I think the molding is standard 2008-era quality (or lack thereof), and I may be in an extremely small minority, but I think it's very important that they match not only the existing 1e figures (and the expansion figures), but also the premium line.  I'd've been pretty upset if the "final four" released premium figures had a significant upgrade in molding quality of the existing figures, invalidating that huge and expensive line.  I'm sure my club of 3 or 4 people in the world would agree with me. 0.5 :-)

I can't imagine playing the game without the figures... and I don't want to try!

I totally agree here, though I can't dismiss that the look of 2e figures on acrylic bases, along with the use of chits near the player's hands, does strike a nice balance.  

For 2e, though.

Go back to 1e, and the "mystery" of not knowing exactly which Cultist (with which special ability) you were dealing with... to be that was a very important part of the game.

​Which circles back to the need for consistency and compatibility.

<sigh>

I suppose in a world where the majority of folks would prefer an acrylic base (and ID Tokens can then float wherever they need to, leaning on the base I guess), then it doesn't really matter if the token hook on the bases is non-functional.   My inner cynic is seeing this issue not getting resolved. EEP! :(

Let your inner cynic be comforted my friend. I received an email this morning from FFG/Asmodee CS saying they have shipped replacement bases to me!

Now, to see if I receive more of the new castings or 1e bases. I'm hoping for 1e, but i don't like my chances, unless they have received a lot of mail on this issue.

With regard to the clear acrylic bases; I agree that they do look boss on the board. Litko did an investigator base that held the miniature and the Standee vertically in a slot at the back of the base. I wonder if they might be prepared to give monster bases a whirl in clear acrylic with the same design principle...

Edited by Talos

Let your inner cynic be comforted my friend. I received an email this morning from FFG/Asmodee CS saying they have shipped replacement bases to me!

Now, to see if I receive more of the new castings or 1e bases. I'm hoping for 1e, but i don't like my chances, unless they have received a lot of mail on this issue.

With regard to the clear acrylic bases; I agree that they do look boss on the board. Litko did an investigator base that held the miniature and the Standee vertically in a slot at the back of the base. I wonder if they might be prepared to give monster bases a whirl in clear acrylic with the same design principle...

I noticed that FFG Supply now has their clear acrylic standee bases back in stock.  Were I to (gasp!) cut all those premium figures off their bases and go acrylic, I can see just buying those and keeping the ID Tokens permanently mounted, for their own lack-of-wear/safety.  Then I'd just stand one up on the corresponding acrylic base, to ride along and still display vertically.

Edited by dulcaoin