Sign in to follow this  
Metsys509

Lightsaber Greatsword?

So we just finished Jewel of Yavin and one of my players (a former padawan of the order who survived Order 66) has used the jewel to build himself a basic lightsaber. He's really stoked and I'm happy and all but he mentioned how he wants to modify it into some sort of Greatsword style saber. he wants to hit things from slightly further away than engaged range but it just don't see it being possible. In Rebels they say blade length can extend on it's own.

I guess I'm just wondering if this is something anyone considers a viable mod? Only one I noticed was the extended hilt mod which neither of us consider to be the same as what he's asking.

because range bands are a bit fuzzy this is unlikely to be something that gets created, also considering the significant xp cost related to Lightsaber attacking at Short Range through the use of talents.

I think the "Extended Hilt" customisation is the intended way to have a Greatsword Lightsaber.

To my knowledge - and I might have missed a rare weapon or two - there is no such thing as "Reach" in this system. Even polearms, like lightsaber pikes and vibroaxes need to be at Engaged range. But even in systems with Reach, like DnD, greatswords don't have it.

Dual phase and extended hilt would allow for sudden and surprising blade length modifications and two handed use, and that's about the close you can get as far as I know.

I would agree, install a extended hilt and go to town. The PC can describe attacks, parries and etc as using two hands as needed. Personally I would avoid any additional mechanical benefits.

Do they give specific stats for the Jewel of Yavin as a lightsaber crystal? I own the book but I can't recall and won't be able to look it up just now.

Even so, as GM you could swap out some of the mods on it (whether it has specific stats or if it's just listed as working like an Ilum crystal or whatnot) for ones that might be appropriate for traits that a "lightsaber greatsword" would have. So perhaps, a Defensive mod (bigger blade means easier to parry with it), a Breach mod (not really that useful against your rank and file targets, but makes the saber theoretically useful against lightly armored vehicles in a pinch) or a Disorient mod (a larger blade wouldn't be heavier but maybe the wider wound it can cause is more painful). I don't recall if there's a weapon quality that negates a die of melee defense, but that might be a good option -- though possibly a powerful one that maybe should be offset by Unwieldy 3 or 4? Considering how honking big the Jewel of Yavin is shown to be I do love the idea that it can be used to make an oversized saber blade :)

Otherwise, yeah, and Extended Hilt attachment makes a lot of sense.

Do they give specific stats for the Jewel of Yavin as a lightsaber crystal? I own the book but I can't recall and won't be able to look it up just now.

Even so, as GM you could swap out some of the mods on it (whether it has specific stats or if it's just listed as working like an Ilum crystal or whatnot) for ones that might be appropriate for traits that a "lightsaber greatsword" would have. So perhaps, a Defensive mod (bigger blade means easier to parry with it), a Breach mod (not really that useful against your rank and file targets, but makes the saber theoretically useful against lightly armored vehicles in a pinch) or a Disorient mod (a larger blade wouldn't be heavier but maybe the wider wound it can cause is more painful). I don't recall if there's a weapon quality that negates a die of melee defense, but that might be a good option -- though possibly a powerful one that maybe should be offset by Unwieldy 3 or 4? Considering how honking big the Jewel of Yavin is shown to be I do love the idea that it can be used to make an oversized saber blade :)

Otherwise, yeah, and Extended Hilt attachment makes a lot of sense.

We actually used the size of the gem as an excuse to allow both him and Elaiza to have a crystal each. We weren't picky about what kind of crystal it was so he has a basic lightsaber from the F&D book.

To my knowledge - and I might have missed a rare weapon or two - there is no such thing as "Reach" in this system. Even polearms, like lightsaber pikes and vibroaxes need to be at Engaged range. But even in systems with Reach, like DnD, greatswords don't have it.

Dual phase and extended hilt would allow for sudden and surprising blade length modifications and two handed use, and that's about the close you can get as far as I know.

Whips are melee weapons that allow attacks at short range. But whips like this are long, much longer than polearms. 

So now we just have to wait for the infamous lightwhip to rear its ugly head, and once again destroy everything we hold dear about Star Wars...and then you'll have a lightsaber with "reach."

:ph34r:

Maybe he should use the Lightsaber pike, or whatever it's called, except think of it as a large blade with a smaller hilt as opposed to a long hilt with a smaller-sized blade? Extended hilt can still be put on it, too, for the damage bonus.