Sign in to follow this  
Conandoodle

Han Solo Film 2018 Discussion

I was sucked in to reading this misleading and poorly named article: 8 Characters confirmed to be in the new Han Solo spin-off movie.

Firstly, nothing in this article is actually confirmed (apart from the fella cast as a young Solo). Let's get that clear. It's just a list of 8 fellas/ma'ams who were around in the same time frame as a younger Han Solo .. which is basically everyone.

But it got me thinking. Who do you want to see in this film? What story do you expect to be told? Do you even want a Han Solo spin off movie? Are we going to be fed the story of how Chewie and Han met, how they acquired the Falcon from Lando, why Han is wanted by Jabba, etc. or something fresh?

What are your hopes, thoughts and desires?

A young Boba Fett, bullying young Han. :D Nah that'd be silly.

srsly tough: I hope this is how Han met Chewie. If we get the Falcon sabbac match even better.

Hopes toughts and desires:

1. Don't eff it up!
  2. Seriously don't eff it up!
  3. Make it about Han, not some random jedi dude they pulled out of their ass  with Han as a side character (Ok there's nothing to indicate that, but as a worst case scenario I could see that happening.)
  4. Correllia!

I wonder if we'll get to see a SW movie without Jedi/lightsabers.

Question: do you consider it a SW movie if it had no lightsabers?

Edited by Robin Graves

I am personally not that interested in a Han Solo solo movie, though I'm likely going to still go see it. I'm actually kind of scared for the guy the cast to play young Han. Harrison Ford is gonna be a tough act to follow, and he's gonna get torn apart of he doesn't at least come close.

I do hope Lando is in the movie. The scenes between Han and Lando in the book Scoundrels are a lot of fun, and I'd enjoy that in a film.

What are your hopes, thoughts and desires?

Hopes toughts and desires:

1. Don't eff it up!
  2. Seriously don't eff it up!
  3. Make it about Han, not some random jedi dude they pulled out of their ass  with Han as a side character (Ok there's nothing to indicate that, but as a worst case scenario I could see that happening.)
  4. Correllia!

I wonder if we'll get to see a SW movie without Jedi/lightsabers.

Question: do you consider it a SW movie if it had no lightsabers?

And

5. Kessel Run

This movie has too much to live up to and it will be an almost impossible challenge to live up to expectations.  If you rate movies on a 5 star scale, this one would have to be a perfect movie just to get 4 stars.  This is because even people that love it are bound to say, well it was good, but if they had done this back in '82 with Harrison Ford it would have been better.  Or they will say, I really liked the Han Solo books and wished they were cannon so it sucks that that went with a different story for this.

Yes, a movie with NO light sabers can be Star Wars.  At their peak the Jedi, in a galaxy with hundreds of millions of inhabited star systems with millions of billions of citizens, had about 10,000 Jedi to keep the peace.  Jedi were very rare.  Star Wars is about a massive, galaxy wide war, involving hundreds of millions of star systems.  There is room for sooo many stories.  That is why I loved the X-Wing book series even though they were not the most well written books.  That is why I am more excited for Rogue One than any movie to come out since Jedi in '83 when I was 12.  We are going to get a story in this universe, with a few fringe characters we have seen before, but mostly new heroes and villains as the focus.

I will go see the Han Solo movie and I am sure I will enjoy it (I even found some fun in the prequels) but I am trying to keep my expectations for content and quality in check.

Edited by pickirk01

I honestly wish all the new star wars movies were spin offs like rogue one: independent stories set through the star wars saga that may or may not include cameos by established characters.

Doing "young" versions of established characters for films is alright, but not super interesting to me.  I have only minimal interest in young han solo right now since we already have 4 films where he's a main character, and his backstory is kinda known anyways.  Only ones I might have a high interest in would be Yoda, since it could allow for a film set hundreds of years before the saga.  Or maybe a young palpatine film to show how he became a sith and got involved in politics and so forth.

The saga films I put in the middle.  They are definitely intriguing, but also a bit unnecessary as ROTJ ended the saga so beautifully.  Yes obviously the characters lives still go on, but it would have been nice if they could have had a happier ending than they got in TFA.  I almost wish the sequels had been set far in the future.

I've said this before and I stand by it .. known SW characters are more interesting off screen.

Monsieur Lucas gave a great gift in not just delivering Star Wars but giving us a universe in which to play. There is so much more on offer that is not presented in front of us. Eg. Han and Lando's history, Han and Chewie's relationship,the bounty hunter Han ran into at Ord Mandell, the Kessel Run, "You've never heard of the Millenium Falcon? implies it has some level of notoriety, Han's history with Jabba, etc. And these examples are just for Han Solo alone. There is so much more to the universe than just what's on screen.

Bear with me.

Now with each of those examples above, when reading you automatically filled in the blanks. Your imagination ran away and in a nanosecond you thought up a fantastic story for each of them. Maybe it was a reflection of something you'd read or seen, but it yours. You have become emotionally invested into this universe because you have created a small piece of it.

This is why books are always better than the movies and why the aliens are always scarier before they're seen in the latter parts of movies. It's you, it's relevant to you, it's interesting to you, it's scary to you.

A Han Solo (and possible Boba Fett) movie take this away. The make the SW universe smaller and limit your personal canon. You experience someone else's story, and whilst it might be good. It's not specifically tailored to you. It will never be as good as what's in your head.

I would also argue the SW prequels (and most prequels for that matter) are doomed by this. This psychology is an element as to why they received such bad reviews.

Han and Boba are more interesting off-screen!

There is an infinite universe out there for us to play in. I'd rather see some original stories and new characters from other arcs. Rogue One is a great start.

There is an infinite universe out there for us to play in. I'd rather see some original stories and new characters from other arcs. Rogue One is a great start.

Same thing happened with special-agent Pendergast from The Relic (the book not the damned movie) He shows up all cool and mysterious and as they kept using that character in more and more novels you learned more about the character, but it also diluted him.

I've said this before and I stand by it .. known SW characters are more interesting off screen.

Monsieur Lucas gave a great gift in not just delivering Star Wars but giving us a universe in which to play. There is so much more on offer that is not presented in front of us. Eg. Han and Lando's history, Han and Chewie's relationship,the bounty hunter Han ran into at Ord Mandell, the Kessel Run, "You've never heard of the Millenium Falcon? implies it has some level of notoriety, Han's history with Jabba, etc. And these examples are just for Han Solo alone. There is so much more to the universe than just what's on screen.

Bear with me.

Now with each of those examples above, when reading you automatically filled in the blanks. Your imagination ran away and in a nanosecond you thought up a fantastic story for each of them. Maybe it was a reflection of something you'd read or seen, but it yours. You have become emotionally invested into this universe because you have created a small piece of it.

This is why books are always better than the movies and why the aliens are always scarier before they're seen in the latter parts of movies. It's you, it's relevant to you, it's interesting to you, it's scary to you.

A Han Solo (and possible Boba Fett) movie take this away. The make the SW universe smaller and limit your personal canon. You experience someone else's story, and whilst it might be good. It's not specifically tailored to you. It will never be as good as what's in your head.

I would also argue the SW prequels (and most prequels for that matter) are doomed by this. This psychology is an element as to why they received such bad reviews.

Your bang on with this! I think we need to keep Han and Chewies notoriety in our minds and in our own stories. I do feel though that they could not screw it up by telling a story we don't know and leaving the rest of the stories that we've already started in our minds. For an example how Han and Chewie met, there is no elusions to this at all, or Han before the Falcon. Han as a young smuggler trying to make it in an enormous galaxy, maybe even at some point he sees the falcon in passing, maybe he immediately loves it and makes it his goal to acquire it, even better he passingly calls it a scrap pile and goes about his business. 

Though I kind of doubt it and for the most part wish they would leave Han alone, I still am trying to stay positive, it might just be an alright Star Wars movie.

Bear with me.

One hundred percent this ^^^^

I absolutely do not want to see how Han won the Falcon from Lando. I don't want to see the past relationship between Han and Jabba. I don't want to see any of it. All of those things are more intriguing if we don't see it happens on screen. Han Solo is already perfect to me. Besides his role in RotJ, his place in Star Wars is wonderful and complete. An origin story will add nothing to the character so I just don't see the point. Oh wait... I do see the point. The point is $$$$$$$$.

Could it still be a good movie? Yes. But it will most likely dilute the character for me. And I really am bummed that that's probably what will happen.

One hundred percent this ^^^^

I absolutely do not want to see how Han won the Falcon from Lando. I don't want to see the past relationship between Han and Jabba. I don't want to see any of it. All of those things are more intriguing if we don't see it happens on screen. Han Solo is already perfect to me. Besides his role in RotJ, his place in Star Wars is wonderful and complete. An origin story will add nothing to the character so I just don't see the point. Oh wait... I do see the point. The point is $$$$$$$$.

Could it still be a good movie? Yes. But it will most likely dilute the character for me. And I really am bummed that that's probably what will happen.

Yes. Yes. Yes.

The same all applies to a Boba Fett movie rumoured for 2020. Boba Fett is more interesting off-screen. 

It's a huge universe. Give us new stories, new characters, new ships, new heroes, new villains ...

You know what I want!?

http://imgur.com/gallery/rNPff

SCUM.

AND.

VILLAINY.

I want blaster burns, I want grit, I want the Empire to be dangerous and the Heroes to be heroic. I know I'm going to see Han get Chewie, I know I'm going to see Han get the Falcon, I know I'm going to see Han get in cozy with the Hutts. 

What I want to see is Han turn into the nerf-herder scoundrel that we then see turn into the hero in the Original Trilogy. I do not want then to say that "He was never was the bad guy for a day, and always did the right thing even though it turned out bad for him." I want to see them make a flawed character because flawed characters are typically more interesting, and so that him turning heroic in the Original Trilogy still means something.

Han Solo movie:

giphy.gif

Orignial Trilogy:

giphy.gif

This is what I want to see.

What I want to see is Han turn into the nerf-herder scoundrel that we then see turn into the hero in the Original Trilogy. I do not want then to say that "He was never was the bad guy for a day, and always did the right thing even though it turned out bad for him." I want to see them make a flawed character because flawed characters are typically more interesting, and so that him turning heroic in the Original Trilogy still means something.

yes yes and more yes.

I was talking to my wife about this... 

You can't have Han Solo "be the hero" because he was never the hero until the end of ANH when he came back and saved Luke from getting blasted by Vader. He's a smuggler, a greedy sonovabitch and someone who jettisons their cargo at the first sign of an imperial cruiser. There is obviously some selflessness in him because of him saving Chewie, but the Han we first met was always a Han first kinda guy. He changed the most over the original trilogy which is what makes him the most interesting character in the original trilogy. 

He is more Reynolds than Jane tho... just saying ;)

Edited by Wiredin

What I want to see is Han turn into the nerf-herder scoundrel that we then see turn into the hero in the Original Trilogy. I do not want then to say that "He was never was the bad guy for a day, and always did the right thing even though it turned out bad for him." I want to see them make a flawed character because flawed characters are typically more interesting, and so that him turning heroic in the Original Trilogy still means something.

yes yes and more yes.

I was talking to my wife about this... 

You can't have Han Solo "be the hero" because he was never the hero until the end of ANH when he came back and saved Luke from getting blasted by Vader. He's a smuggler, a greedy sonovabitch and someone who jettisons their cargo at the first sign of an imperial cruiser. There is obviously some selflessness in him because of him saving Chewie, but the Han we first met was always a Han first kinda guy. He changed the most over the original trilogy which is what makes him the most interesting character in the original trilogy. 

He is more Reynolds than Jane tho... just saying ;)

Wait wait wait. I forgot.  <_<

No matter how smuggly, greedy, and selfish they make him, they'll undo it with special effects in the special edition.  ;)