Crabbok

Wave 7

Sure, single red is the same damage as a single blue, but it covers 3-4 times as much area. Against a heavy squadron list, it would be rolling 6-8 times, at a range that the squads couldn't respond to.

Imagine that this ship costs 40 points, and is otherwise identical to a gozanti. Buy 3 of them, and you get to chew the snot out of a bomber wing before it can close. Plus, your main ships have 3 spare activations to play Initiative games, and don't need to dedicate commands to squadrons.

Thus, Armada loses a major fleet archetype, and the variety of lists goes down.

I think a more important question is what will the imps be getting for wave six? Cause all I see is alliance ships

I would almost bet money that the Imps are getting the Quasar, while the rebels get the hammerhead. 

Quasar is an Imperial Ship first of all, and it is a carrier, which would make it the perfect Imperial version of what the Pelta is giving the rebels. 

Imperials don't know what to do with their Imperial class Star Destroyers half of the time...  What makes you think they'll have any clue over a Tector ?

Cuz the Tector isn't a multirole craft

Imperials don't know what to do with their Imperial class Star Destroyers half of the time...  What makes you think they'll have any clue over a Tector ?

Let me Clarify.

Imperials don't know what to do with the Battleship component of their Multirole Imperial class Star Destroyers half of the time...  The Squadron is easy - Imp I gets Boosted + Hangars, Imp II gets Either...   What makes you think they'll have any clue over a Tector which doesn't even have that problem to solve!?

:D

Vindicators and Immobilizer 418s for Empire. MC-40a for Rebels. More Support ships wave 7.

Imps just got the Interdictor. Why get another variant? What new mechanics would it bring to the game? Vindicator would be cool to see.

Just a cheaper, albiet more fragile grav well ship. 

Let me Clarify.

Imperials don't know what to do with the Battleship component of their Multirole Imperial class Star Destroyers half of the time...  The Squadron is easy - Imp I gets Boosted + Hangars, Imp II gets Either...   What makes you think they'll have any clue over a Tector which doesn't even have that problem to solve!?

:D

I for one would love a Tector ISD focusing primarily on offense and sacrificing it's squadron capability for points/extra upgrade slots etc. I rarely use ISD's as squadron pushers, instead using them as big beefy battering rams, it's much more fun that way. Plus I get to throw a lot of dice at once (which I get is less threatening to defense tokens, but it's much more satisfying throwing them all together haha)

I think a more important question is what will the imps be getting for wave six? Cause all I see is alliance ships

I would almost bet money that the Imps are getting the Quasar, while the rebels get the hammerhead. 

Quasar is an Imperial Ship first of all, and it is a carrier, which would make it the perfect Imperial version of what the Pelta is giving the rebels. 

the Quasar-Fire is an Imperial ship only because of Rebels.  For years it was a Rebel ship.  We called dibs first :)

Empire - Imperial Class Star Destroyer - But with cards and titles we haven't seen before, Chimera title, maybe some other titles such as Stalker, Tyrant or Thunderflare, as well as a Thrawn commander, Noghri crew etc.

Rebels - MC40a Light Cruiser - http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/MC40a_light_cruiser, Bail Organa sounds like a good choice for a commander.

Edited by Shadow345

When I was a kid I had the Truce at Bakura micromachines, along with my other SW micromachines. I didnt know what the Quasar class was but I always assumed it was an Imperial Ship.

I didnt have a Star Destoyer model so that was what I used to ferry around my groups of stormtroopers to battle the rebel hoth troopers, which were the only rebels I had and seemed to fight in all enviornments. Taun Tauns look weird in grassy jungles let me tell you.

I hope we never see an effective ship that can be used for both sides. 

I don't ever want to look at a Rebellion vs. Imperial battle and wonder which ship is on which side.

Yeah... in the end somebody could be belive its a civil war...

What we NEED is for the Empire to get +1 more ship, to even out and have the same variety as the Rebels. But why? One ship is not a real difference, and the Imperium has the ISD, what could you ever want more?

What we NEED is to go a few waves without so many squadron options.But why?

What we NEED is dreadnaughts! Now you are talking!

What we NEED is a preview article of the Correllian Conflict. (Not wave 7 related) Now you are back on the right track.

What I'd like to see is some more different arc ideas.  Suppose a ship has a really strong rear-arc?  (Can't imagine why anyone would build such a thing though....) or asymmetrical firing arcs - a ship whose right side is broader than it's left?  Or a ship with multiple side arcs?  (Executor!!!!!) Different side arcs could work on a ship like the Breen Cruiser:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/stmagazine/breen-3views.jpg

They COULD give the finalizer a double-side arc, yet a single side arc for shields.  Suppose you cut it's side arc in half, and effectively allow it to shoot twice that way, but still only give it one shield token, effectively any hit to EITHER side arc reduces the total side shield. 

I'd like to see a ship with Red anti squadron dice. But why? And which ship should that be? Lancers?

I'd like to see more upgrades in more cardboard-only expansions.  I want more titles!

I don't ever want to look at a Rebellion vs. Imperial battle and wonder which ship is on which side.

Which it isn't. It's a cinematic story genre where visual distinction is important.

Which it isn't. It's a cinematic story genre where visual distinction is important.

Which "it"? The movies from an art perspective? That is surley not what the game is about.

Or is "it" Star Wars, that is nothing but a story of a Galaxy in constant civil war (not Counting the Vong war).

The "it" being the Star Wars franchise. The specific "it" being the game, Armada, which is an extension of this franchise.

Being able to look at the table and know, immediately, which ships are Imperial and which are Rebel is part and parcel.

The "it" being the Star Wars franchise. The specific "it" being the game, Armada, which is an extension of this franchise.

Being able to look at the table and know, immediately, which ships are Imperial and which are Rebel is part and parcel.

You could paint an ISD in some Rebel colors. Rebels were known to steal ISD and SSD from time to time. Throw on their logo and your good to go. But I agree, I don't want cross over ships. Hard divisions are good in this game where we have so much cross over in the upgrades. How boring would it be to play a semi-mirror match when there is a Rebel and Imp player. ​Oh cool, we both brought a fleet of dreadnoughts... Oh cool, we have the same upgrades... But you have Motti and I have Garm... 

What we NEED is for the Empire to get +1 more ship, to even out and have the same variety as the Rebels. But why? One ship is not a real difference, and the Imperium has the ISD, what could you ever want more?

What we NEED is to go a few waves without so many squadron options.But why?

What we NEED is dreadnaughts! Now you are talking!

What we NEED is a preview article of the Correllian Conflict. (Not wave 7 related) Now you are back on the right track.

What I'd like to see is some more different arc ideas.  Suppose a ship has a really strong rear-arc?  (Can't imagine why anyone would build such a thing though....) or asymmetrical firing arcs - a ship whose right side is broader than it's left?  Or a ship with multiple side arcs?  (Executor!!!!!) Different side arcs could work on a ship like the Breen Cruiser:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/stmagazine/breen-3views.jpg

They COULD give the finalizer a double-side arc, yet a single side arc for shields.  Suppose you cut it's side arc in half, and effectively allow it to shoot twice that way, but still only give it one shield token, effectively any hit to EITHER side arc reduces the total side shield. 

I'd like to see a ship with Red anti squadron dice. But why? And which ship should that be? Lancers?

I'd like to see more upgrades in more cardboard-only expansions.  I want more titles!

To answer #1 - Imperials need 1 more ship because the Rebels have 1 more ship.   I mean this is pretty self explanatory.  X-Wing tries to keep it balanced, and each wave since 1, has been the same ammounts of Rebels as Imperials - so catching up would be a good thing.   And while the ISD is very nice, I still like variety. 

As far as your two other "WHY" questions, I'm not a big fan of squadrons, so giving a ship red anti-squadron dice would allow me to have some different ways to counter squadron heavy builds. 

As far as having a wave or two without squadrons - that goes back to my request for balance.   We have WAY more squadrons than we have capital ships in this game.  I feel like Wave 5 is pushing that balance even farther off base.  I look at my collection of Imperials, for example, and I see 6 different ship models.  ISD, Vic, Raider, Gozanti, Interdictor, and Gladiator.   Now I look at my squadrons, and there are 8 different models.  (4 Imperial, 4 scum).  Wave 5 is going to add 4 to that number, while only adding 1 to the ship count.  So it will be 12 to 7.   Not to mention squadrons can only be 1/3rd of your list at max.   In a perfect world, those numbers should be flip-flopped.   However I believe a major difficulty for FFG right now is the lack of canon capital starships for them to use, and a wealth of starfighters.  

I like a visually stimulating tabletop for my games.  This means big, nasty models.   I want the Finalizer, I want the Executor, I want smalls ships, lined up next to larger ships for scale.  The fighters in Armada don't really do it for me.   I'm ok with a handful of squadrons, like 3 or 4 usually, but I hate builds that go 133 points of squadrons and can't get many ships on the board....   it doesn't look as pretty!   

Additionally, squadrons pose a peculiar challenge in this game.   If you don't plan to counter them, they can absolutely destroy you!  (I took down an ISD with Motti last night using Yvaris, Luke, and B-Wings, in only 2 turns) - However if you DO plan to counter squadrons, you run the risk of facing a build without any squadrons - and having a ton of wasted points.   I find that part rather annoying sometimes.   I'll have this awesome raider, with title, Kallus, and even Counter:1 - only to face a build with no squadrons and I just feel like I wasted the whole day preparing for the game! 

The bases have different colors for the arcs. If by introducing the dreadnought as a dual-faction ship with one variant per faction they kept to that, you would still be able to look at the table and know which ship belongs to which faction.

But thats just your oppinion, for which you have no arguments.

Edited by DScipio