Sign in to follow this  
NomadMatt

Palp Defenders?

How's this list look?

(100)

Colonel Vessery (36) - TIE Defender

Juke (2), TIE/x7 (-2), Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)

Countess Ryad (35) - TIE Defender

Juke (2), TIE/x7 (-2), Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)

Omicron Group Pilot (29) - Lambda-Class Shuttle

Emperor Palpatine (8), Emperor Palpatine (8)

And secondary, what strategies would I use to fly something like this?

I haven't yet lost a game in my local league playing this exact list. As for feeding TL, one from the other ships should do just fine, and has for me.

The strategy that's worked well for me thus far is to create an asteroid field that's more on one side. Then line Palp up in the other and the Defenders near the more narrow edge. Then move out slowly straight followed by k-turns right back. Then fly along your edge, forcing the opponent to either chase you or come through the asteroid field. Usually the latter happens due to impatience on the part of the opponent it they get pissy about you running away for 20 minutes. Make them make the mistake. Games are 75 minutes, and that's as much a part of the game as anything else.

I haven't yet lost a game in my local league playing this exact list. As for feeding TL, one from the other ships should do just fine, and has for me.

I realize yes anyone CAN feed him TLs and I guess my point / question is more along the lines of who in this list is someone who either wants to leave a TL on a ship and never use it (OL) or someone who really wants to take a TL every turn (TAP with title).  Otherwise you loose an action one round (or any future round where you have to reacquire the TL) just to use Vessery's ability.  Granted it is probably worth it for the ability but I was asking anyway.

I realize yes anyone CAN feed him TLs and I guess my point / question is more along the lines of who in this list is someone who either wants to leave a TL on a ship and never use it (OL) or someone who really wants to take a TL every turn (TAP with title).  Otherwise you loose an action one round (or any future round where you have to reacquire the TL) just to use Vessery's ability.  Granted it is probably worth it for the ability but I was asking anyway.

It's a good question. If the shuttle is being played defensively, it's not helping (needs title for that, which is a hefty 3 points). Ryad, without PTL, is sacrificing some of her damage output to support Vess - either she leaves a TL that she won't ever spend, or she's constantly using her action for it.

That being said, it's not that bad -- Vess AND Ryad are always getting evades, and always triggering Juke, they're just not being that efficient in terms of damage output (one or the other is always sacrificing potential damage output).

Even more troublesome, this can really be ineffective against lists with a lot of targets that are flown well, or against high PS aces. A single target lock doesn't help, if Vess can't get arc on a specific ship.

My recommendation would be to find room for either the Lamda's title (so, make Vess have VI or Crackshot, and drop both Twin Ion Engines) or to give Ryad PTL (drop the Twin Ion Engine on Vess).

I'm thinking of running the latter myself. Yes, Black Market Slicer Tools are a bit scary, but you can be judicious in your use of PTL, and Ryad is tricky/low PS enough to likely avoid too much trouble.

My current list is:

Omicron+Palp (what palp does best)

Ryad+PTL+X7 (Evade, Target Lock, Focus actions)

Vessery+Adaptability (+1)+Tractor Beam+TIE/D - first to shoot in hopes the tractor beam will hit, which gives potentially 3 focus fired attacks with one less agility die on the defender

It's a good question. If the shuttle is being played defensively, it's not helping (needs title for that, which is a hefty 3 points). Ryad, without PTL, is sacrificing some of her damage output to support Vess - either she leaves a TL that she won't ever spend, or she's constantly using her action for it.

That being said, it's not that bad -- Vess AND Ryad are always getting evades, and always triggering Juke, they're just not being that efficient in terms of damage output (one or the other is always sacrificing potential damage output).

Even more troublesome, this can really be ineffective against lists with a lot of targets that are flown well, or against high PS aces. A single target lock doesn't help, if Vess can't get arc on a specific ship.

My recommendation would be to find room for either the Lamda's title (so, make Vess have VI or Crackshot, and drop both Twin Ion Engines) or to give Ryad PTL (drop the Twin Ion Engine on Vess).

I'm thinking of running the latter myself. Yes, Black Market Slicer Tools are a bit scary, but you can be judicious in your use of PTL, and Ryad is tricky/low PS enough to likely avoid too much trouble.

Yeah, I tend to fly the shuttle more aggressively. I think people try and save Palp for too long. 3 primary is good. And if it's your only ship at the end, you're toast anyway.

I don't like Juke on Ryad as much as PTL.

Here's what I would do:

Lambda-Class Shuttle: Omicron Group Pilot (21)

· Emperor Palpatine (8)

TIE Defender: · Countess Ryad (34)

Push The Limit (3)

Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)

TIE/x7 (-2)

TIE Defender: · Colonel Vessery (35)

Veteran Instincts (1)

TIE/x7 (-2)

Here would be my take on the list. Vessery can get away without Mk2 engines IMHO and giving Ryad PTL will make it much easier for to take TLs to feed Vessery and then spend them herself if necessary.

35 Vessery (35), Tie/x7 (-2), Juke (2)

36 Ryad (34), Tie/x7 (-2), PTL (3), Tie Mk2 (1)

29 OGP (21), Palpatine (9)

100 Total