Sign in to follow this  
Drakthal

Dark Young Desing Question (Probably a Lore Question)

So i am in the process of painting my miniatures and on the dark one there appears to be what looks like Pig's Snout's. 

In the description the dark young is mostly described as a living tree of some sort. So i was wondering if anyone can tell whether it really is pig's snout's or whether it is something else, and if so the background story as to why it looks like that. (I simply cannot concentrate on reading the language from HP Lovecrafts Novels to find out myself :(

I haven't read HP stories involving dark young, but i know ff games lore is somewhat different to true-lovecraftian lore. For example, nightgaunts were originalle winged black shapes with no face who came to tickle you when you're trying to sleep. This is supposed to be based on visions Lovecraft had as a child while experiencing sleep paralysis. 

This is the relevant pass describing Dark Youngs (full description given by Robert Block, HPL mentions them without going in full detail):

"E hu shub niggur ath n gaa ryula neb shoggoth." That's as close as I can come. The mouths was like leaves and the whole thing was like a tree in the wind, a black tree with lots of branches trailing to the ground, and a whole lot of roots ending in hoofs. And that green slime dribbling out of the mouths and down the legs was like sap!... It came crawling up the hillside to the alter and the sacrefice, and it was the black thing of my dreams-that black ropy, slimy, jelly tree-thing out of the woods. It crawled up and it flowed up on its hoofs and mouths and snaky arms. And the men bowed and stood back and then it got to the alter where they was something squirmin on top, squirming and screaming. -Robert Bloch, "Notebook Found In a Deserted House."

Looking at the mini, it's very far from the description above. Since they went for something more akin to an octopus rather than a tree-being, my guess is that it is some sort of multi-chambered suction cup. Being the cosmic horror it is, i guess you're free to think of it as whatever. The idea of pig snouts certainly adds a dimension to it. 

Edited by Aelitafrommars

I am not certain that Lovecraft ever references dark young in any of his writings.  The closest he gets is "Black Goat of the Woods with 1000 Young".  I would have thought they would be called the 1000 young or black young in that case though.  Does anyone know who invented the term Dark Young?

It's my understanding that the "Dark Young of Shub-Niggurath" are actually Sandy Petersen's own creation for the CoC RPG. Extrapolating on that fact, Shubby looks a little pig like, as represented by the Cthulhu Wars art and miniature (Sandy's design notes brought to artistic life by Richard Luong). I hadn't made the pig snout connection until I read it here, but I guess they could be interpreted as such.

I painted my Dark Young black, dry brushed with grey. Details (including the 'snouts') were painted green except for the tongues, which I painted a pink flesh colour. I've bought quite a few Dark Young miniatures since 1981, and this is the first model that has that snout shape on it.

Does anyone know who invented the term Dark Young?

The "Dark Young" creature was designed by Sandy Petersen for his game "Call of Cthulhu RPG".

Edit: Sorry Talos, I missed your post.

Edited by tsuma534