Sign in to follow this  
BlueMusketeer28

What's all this talk of Episode 8 A-Wings?

Not an update at all...

;) REB%2BA-WING%2B1.PNG

princesw03.jpg

There is, actually.  Quite considerably.  Immediately obvious in the above pic, vs...

StarWars_A_Wing_Fighter.jpg

• Note the leading edge of the tail fins ends at the 'wing' protrusion in the RotJ A-Wing, while it extends further into the main body in the Ep 8 A-Wing
  • Compare the back of the cockpit - the RotJ A-Wing has a very long hull extension behind the cockpit, while the Ep 8 A-Wing the cockpit ends at the end of the glass.

Other views from some of the other set photos have shown further differences.

As long as we get First Order Interceptors I'm happy :3

It was a missed opportunity for the TIE S/Fs to look like neither the TIE Adv or the TIE Interceptor.

While distinct from the standard TIE/FO (a designation I still find issue with), I do have to agree. Like, tactically there's a lot of use for an almost identical TIE.

But yeah.

It is a touch bummer to not have a slightly different wing shape at the very least.

Not an update at all...

;) REB%2BA-WING%2B1.PNG

princesw03.jpg

There is, actually.  Quite considerably.  Immediately obvious in the above pic, vs...

• Note the leading edge of the tail fins ends at the 'wing' protrusion in the RotJ A-Wing, while it extends further into the main body in the Ep 8 A-Wing
  • Compare the back of the cockpit - the RotJ A-Wing has a very long hull extension behind the cockpit, while the Ep 8 A-Wing the cockpit ends at the end of the glass.

Hard to tell but it looks wider overall. Engine in RotJ A looks very close to the edge of the hull. There seems to be more distance between edge of the hull and engine in the set pic.

Not an update at all...

;) REB%2BA-WING%2B1.PNG

princesw03.jpg

Hard to tell but it looks wider overall. Engine in RotJ A looks very close to the edge of the hull. There seems to be more distance between edge of the hull and engine in the set pic.

That's an illusion created by Mark Hamill leaning in so close to the fin and covering the bulge of the engine. Also the cockpit seems to flare out a bit from the front, rather than the straighter model image, which may also be perspective, but if anything  I would say it's narrower not wider. Compare the distance from Harry to the start of the fin. 

They are not the best images to compare since they are different angles, and distance.

But definitely that fin is much farther forward.

29917588696_43dd2a2050_z.jpg

Edited by gabe69velasquez

Not an update at all...

;) REB%2BA-WING%2B1.PNG

princesw03.jpg

That's an illusion created by Mark Hamill leaning in so close to the fin and covering the bulge of the engine. Also the cockpit seems to flare out a bit from the front, rather than the straighter model image, which may also be perspective, but if anything  I would say it's narrower not wider. Compare the distance from Harry to the start of the fin. 

They are not the best images to compare since they are different angles, and distance.

Once again it may be perspective but is the pilot sitting further back then before?

Can we settle the scale argument now? Someone go measure Prince Harry.

He is 10 bananas tall

Some bananas are longer than others. . .

It also looks like the tailfins above the nacelles angle in a little more on the new version.

Edited by Darth Meanie

Also missing a big chunk of ship behind the cockpit...

29917588696_43dd2a2050_z_zpsstlkcp2i.jpg

Is this perhaps the ship Luke used to "disappear" between Ep's VII and VIII?... and when he returns to action he flies in this rather than hitching a ride in the MF??

Part of me wonders it you are right and this is something between an A-Wing and an Aethersprite. 

Nope, it's definitely an A-Wing. The weapons on the wingtips look like they are from a Phoenix Squad A-Wing:

GettyImages-522426300-510x323.jpg

As long as we get First Order Assault Gunboats I'm happy :3

FTFY.

Seriously though, I really don't want to just see black and white versions of all the old ships being sold to us as "new" ships. But similarly I also don't want to see things like the TIE Striker being added in for absolutely no reason other than "because we want to see toys". Sigh.

As long as we get First Order Assault Gunboats I'm happy :3

FTFY.

Seriously though, I really don't want to just see black and white versions of all the old ships being sold to us as "new" ships. But similarly I also don't want to see things like the TIE Striker being added in for absolutely no reason other than "because we want to see toys". Sigh.

Agreed, but, it is probably the only way you are going to see new pilots and/or fixes for ships given that "card only" expansions are unlikely.

Agreed, but, it is probably the only way you are going to see new pilots and/or fixes for ships given that "card only" expansions are unlikely.

I actually really like the TIE Striker, both in design and in concept. In terms of the Universe, it makes a great deal of sense that the Empire would have a dedicated planetary defense craft. TIE Fighters are great in space, but the lore has always been that they suck in atmosphere.

Given that they're an atmospheric craft, it makes sense to have the wings parallel to the ground: it would minimize the drag of standard TIE wings. Also: having more ground-parallel surface to put repulser lifts on would help with atmospheric performance generally.

Folks may not like it aesthetically, and that's fine tastes differ. But. I'm glad to see some interesting and useful tools of Empire.