Sign in to follow this  
Marinealver

New Faction Possibilities.

I've mentioned it before, and there are some fan stuff out there for these, too.

Zann Consortium

The Mining Guild

The Corporate Sector Authority

Hapes Star Cluster

I feel like the Old Republic / CIS and New Republic / First Order are things that can be done if done well. I for one am hoping for a Rebellion-style campaign system that allows for the transition from Republic -> Empire -> First Order as well as CIS -> Rebels -> New Republic

This campaign would be, IMO, a spectacular way to release CIS and Republic factions. It would even allow for players who only want to stick with one faction to play as well, as after a certain point in the time track (like in the Rebellion game) the Imperial and Rebel stuff gets moved in, and players from the early half of the game can decide which side to join afterwards or be split 50/50 and assigned, which would be more fair and not cause lopsided situations and would avoid any kind of political mechanic (even though that might be pretty fun too!)

I actually always saw Grievous as the Robert E Lee type before the Clone Wars ruined him. Love that show but they literally took one of the best prequel characters and trashed him.

What could you see in common between Grievous and Lee?

I actually always saw Grievous as the Robert E Lee type before the Clone Wars ruined him. Love that show but they literally took one of the best prequel characters and trashed him.

They both have fore-arms!

Well to clarify I don't mean the Clone Wars as in the event but as in the show. In that he's absolutely nothing like Lee. In the old canon however from before that series, such as in books like Labyrinth of Evil, Grievous is a military genius just as Lee is. Grievous had to do more with less which for him were inferior battle droids and for Lee was usually a lack of numbers and supplies. Grievous's leadership prolonged the war just like Lee. They both dealt with leaders who continually demanded greater control that often times conflicted with overall strategy, Davis with Lee and Count Dooku with Grievous.  

There's more examples and it's not a perfect analogy but that's just how i've seen it. 

I was recently considering SW battle tactics through the course of the saga, yes i'm that kinda nerdy  :P What can I say I love military history and SW. 

When you look at the three trilogies (or two and the first part of one) theres a significant development in the way naval tactics evolve that's subtle but significant. This is in part due to the ships involved and the technology.

In the prequels capital ships dominate naval strategy with fighters serving in support positions both in space and on planetary surface battles. Both factions 

In the Original Trilogy capital ships and fighters are more equal at least in the way the rebels use them. It makes sense the Empire still uses Tie fighters to supplement their capital ships as the Imperial Navy is a direct descendent of the Republic Navy. The rebels can't build huge capital ships to counter the Empire so have to rely on superior starfighter squadrons capable of completing missions independent of carriers. It's funny because the Empire is trying to fight a clone wars style conflict and the rebels are truly innovating battle tactics.   

In the sequel trilogy, from what all the new canon books and comics seem to point to, star fighters seem to have come to the forefront and capital ships have become support vessels. This is due to Mon Mothma's attempts at demilitarization and an increased focus by both factions to improve fighters.

For example the FO wanted to be best where the Empire failed most, snub fighters. Ties have shields and better firepower and pilots are suddenly viewed as assets that need to be kept alive. Resurgent class Star Destroyers are primarily carriers as according to the visual guide and other sources and therefore are a support vessel. In the Resistance and New Republic X-Wings alone or in small squadrons are capable of patrolling and securing space ways. 

I hope if FFG ever makes forays into other eras we at least get to see the gameplay represent this. 

I think in the OT Fighters were used more at least on the Rebel side. Sure the Imperial Star Destroyers were a big obstacle to overcome but other than that you don't see much capital ship on capital ship action. Just the opening scene of the first movie.

In the prequels you saw gunners on each side dueling it out with turbolaser volleys and even see it impacting the other ship on Episode 3. Other than that it was mostly ground combat.