Sign in to follow this  
Marinealver

New Faction Possibilities.

There's a chance you could have a faction that simply doesn't have any large base ships. There's certainly design space for a faction based on being small and zippy, with some unique survivability or offensive upgrades. That could even be the home for the fire-ship style gameplay people have been asking for, or even something designed for ramming (perhaps doesn't take a damage for ramming, or does double damage on ships the same size class or smaller).

It is totally possible that minor factions aquire a some cruisers and could be a local not galactic power factor.

The galaxy is huge.

And than are even the Hurt space, corporate sector and chiss for example that were independent and must have had a navy of some sort to control their space.

The Hurt space? I guess you meant Hutt?

The Mandalorinas, Zann, Black Sun, Hutt ... might be the most popular factions with enough power and wealth to compete with the Empire within the scale of Armada battles. The Galaxy is huge.

Im apparently a sadist as I find this kind of topic appealing. It is fun watching people who hate the prequels come up with logical gymnastics and scrape the bottom of the barrel of the EU to find any factions but Republic and CIS. Some seem to the point where they would threaten to leave Armada if clone wars stuff was released. Even funnier will be the threats of GCW-only tournaments.

I want one of two things.

1)Release CW era stuff as their own factions. They are the ONLY additional factions with both enough material and enough market penetration to work. All of the other ones listed are too niche or have no actual viable capital ship fleets to justify their existence.

2) Go full Command&Conquer Generals and make subfactions within both the Empire and Rebellion. Dodonna only gets access to that which made sense for him. No Ewing for him. Vader wouldn't get Defenders as he was dead before they saw use. Certain capital ships and titles would be commander specific. Let me be clear, this won't happen. It would be a logistical nightmare for most people. I just like the idea.

I've mentioned it before, and there are some fan stuff out there for these, too.

Zann Consortium

The Mining Guild

The Corporate Sector Authority

Hapes Star Cluster

I feel like the Old Republic / CIS and New Republic / First Order are things that can be done if done well. I for one am hoping for a Rebellion-style campaign system that allows for the transition from Republic -> Empire -> First Order as well as CIS -> Rebels -> New Republic

Is canon an issue anyway? The TIE Phantom & Defender are not canon IIRC and they are in the game. As is a bunch of other stuff.

The Phantom, Defender and E-Wing are Canon through Star Wars: Commander, and have been for almost 2 years.

Garm Bel Iblis and the AFMK-II are in Armada as they were (apparently) already on the drawing board and 'approved' before the Canonicity split actually hit.

First of all lets get this out of the way. Scum will not be a faction in Armada.

Oh I remember that delicious day when FFG announced Scum for X-Wing. People ate their hats that day. I was not one of them.

Now, I'm not saying that it fits Armada as well as it does X-Wing, I'm just saying that many people were absolutely adamant that it would never happen.

I remember as well, that was the beginning of the end of X-Wing for me.

If a faction being canon isn't an issue (for some people), then I'd like to throw out the suggestion of the Ssi'ruuvi, as they were the only force that required the Empire and Rebellion to team up, as well as the forces of GCW II, especially what with the Corellian Conflict being released. . .

Also, I'm all for the Yuuzhan Vong.

Yeah the Consortium was such a broken faction that I only play forces of corruption to use the Thrawn's Revenge mod

Really? I feel like the Empire of the Hand is WAY more powerful than the Consortium. They always dominate the galaxy if I don't do it first.

The Black Sun?

Maybe a third faction could be used by both players? Each player alternates control of a scum fleet, so 3 rounds each, and when in control can use them to attack the other. To be honest though that seems like it would be lame and just add pointless steps and complexity to the game.

Yeah the Consortium was such a broken faction that I only play forces of corruption to use the Thrawn's Revenge mod

I like them only because the difficulty for vanilla EaW is so terrible even at it's highest that any challenge is welcome to me. Don't get me wrong I love the game but in the original at a certain point you could sit around for a month or two and the other side never attacks, so frustrating. 

I like them only because the difficulty for vanilla EaW is so terrible even at it's highest that any challenge is welcome to me. Don't get me wrong I love the game but in the original at a certain point you could sit around for a month or two and the other side never attacks, so frustrating. 

The true challenge is the Awakening of the Rebellion mod on hard mode as the rebels.

Is canon an issue anyway? The TIE Phantom & Defender are not canon IIRC and they are in the game. As is a bunch of other stuff.

I think the Phantom and Defender snuck in because they'd been included in X-wing before the mass culling of canon, and were therefore sort of protected in FFGs pocket of the universe. They can retcon all the stories they want, but when there's physical game pieces out there making money, they have to make some sort of exception. E-wings are/were in the same situation.

Both are canon because they appear in Star Wars Commander, which is canon.

X Wing is not canon, so a ship making an appearance there also isn't canon.

Corran Horn isn't canon, neither is the Imp Raider, for example.

I think the Phantom and Defender snuck in because they'd been included in X-wing before the mass culling of canon, and were therefore sort of protected in FFGs pocket of the universe. They can retcon all the stories they want, but when there's physical game pieces out there making money, they have to make some sort of exception. E-wings are/were in the same situation.

Both are canon because they appear in Star Wars Commander, which is canon.

X Wing is not canon, so a ship making an appearance there also isn't canon.

Corran Horn isn't canon, neither is the Imp Raider, for example.

Plus the defender is appearing in EAs Star Wars Battlefront.

Well saying the Raider isn't canon is like saying the EU still is canon. The Raider is canon because the Disney overlords say so. And most the EU isn't canon for the same reason. But I do agree the Raider came out of nowhere and I wasn't really thrilled about it. I wanted the Tartan Cruiser because I wanted it to be OP against squads.

Well saying the Raider isn't canon is like saying the EU still is canon. The Raider is canon because the Disney overlords say so. And most the EU isn't canon for the same reason. But I do agree the Raider came out of nowhere and I wasn't really thrilled about it. I wanted the Tartan Cruiser because I wanted it to be OP against squads.

I don't think Disney said it was canon, did they?

And they do determine what is canon... So all of Star Wars canon and non-canon seem to follow those and rules, right?

And they do determine what is canon... So all of Star Wars canon and non-canon seem to follow those and rules, right?

I have no idea. But I don't see how FFG could make up a ship without the approval of Disney because of all the cross over they do in their content. I am kind of expecting to see a Raider in the Rebels show simply because it is in Armada and X-Wing.

I'm just using logic to come to these answers. No facts  :lol:

I have no idea. But I don't see how FFG could make up a ship without the approval of Disney because of all the cross over they do in their content. I am kind of expecting to see a Raider in the Rebels show simply because it is in Armada and X-Wing.

Well the Raider was in production roughly in the timeline of Rebels. :D

The Phantom, Defender and E-Wing are Canon through Star Wars: Commander, and have been for almost 2 years.

Garm Bel Iblis and the AFMK-II are in Armada as they were (apparently) already on the drawing board and 'approved' before the Canonicity split actually hit.

You're digging way too shallow. They are all in at least one but usually more novels, so they are canon. I mean Canon, not Disney canon which negated everything, Commander included.

It was approved by Disney, but it isn't necessarily canon. It sure could show up some time, though.

You're digging way too shallow. They are all in at least one but usually more novels, so they are canon. I mean Canon, not Disney canon which negated everything, Commander included.

Disney alone determines what canon is, and Commander is actually canon.

That's just it.  I don't care what the individual believes should be Canon.  I believe a bunch of the EU should be, but you know what....

My Opinion means precisely squat.

I am digging into the actual definition of Lucasarts, Lucasfilm and thus, Disney Canon, which is the only definition of "Canon" that will be legally allowed by the Owners of Star Wars.

And even if you don't like it, you should at least understand it, as that is what will define what goes forward, as stated by the Owners of Star Wars.