Sign in to follow this  
Marinealver

New Faction Possibilities.

Okay so just bringing up some discussion but what is the likelihood of additional factions being added to Armada besides the default two. First of all lets get this out of the way. Scum will not be a faction in Armada. The X-wing ships have already been divided up between Imperials and Rebels. To make a scum faction and scum squadrons will be possibly too much. 

So for possible additional factions why not go to eras.

• Galactic Republic
  • Confederacy of Independent Systems
  • 1stOrder

I did not include the Resistance because we didn't see any real ships besides Han's abandon frigate. But it could be possible.

I could see perhaps after Episode 8 or 9 a New Armada Core set with the 1stOrder and Resistance ships. Depends on how many Resistance Ships that are shown in the movie that are different from the OT ships. Then again they could simply be annexed into the two existing factions.

As for Clone War era factions it would make more sense to keep them as separate factions rather than merge them. But I don't believe Disney would endorse this as there is not enough consumer interest in the clone wars.

So what do you think. I mean are we going to have to deal with blue-on-blue matches for the rest of the Star Wars license with Armada or will it start to branch out a little?

First Order and the Resistance/whatever-crops-up-in-episode-VIII-IX seems exceptionally likely.  Really it's more a matter of stockpiling some ideas and canonical designs for those particular factions.  That's not to say they won't release some slightly tweaked versions of the models if older Alliance/Imperial designs come into the picture (Just like the Falcon was tweaked for X-wing and Home One was mentioned in the books as being a Resistance ship along with another MC80 if memory serves).  

So I can see those as a very good possibility in the next year or so.  Scum can be a faction for Armada (see how easy that was? :P).  Nice way to design cast offs, garrison units, random stuff shown in Rebels/EU, and the like just like mercs in Imperial Assault.  As for CIS and the Republic junk examples, they could be folded in to existing factions quite handily instead of piddling around in that pool. 

So, for eras, we could easily have:

• Pre-Yavin (Which includes Clone Wars stuff, Rebels stuff, Rogue One stuff, and what we saw in a New Hope).
  • Post-Yavin (All the fancy gizmos) 
  • Post-Republic (FO/NR)

Frankly, I'd love to stay as many leagues away from the prequels as possible. Blue on blue suits me just fine.  I do rather like the discussion though, anything to get us out of these doldrums. . 

Edited by Vykes

Okay so just bringing up some discussion but what is the likelihood of additional factions being added to Armada besides the default two. First of all lets get this out of the way. Scum will not be a faction in Armada. The X-wing ships have already been divided up between Imperials and Rebels. To make a scum faction and scum squadrons will be possibly too much. 

I wouldn't say it's beyond the realms of possibility for a 'scum' or 'pirate' faction. FFG released some Rebel ships for their Scum and Villainy faction in X-Wing so there's no reason that they wouldn't do it for Armada. In fact it's a pretty easy win as they just need to rebox some of their current range with some new rules.

So factions that can be easily added to Armada include the Fist Order and Resistance, but of course there's not much out there.  I don't think we can even do a full wave with what we saw in TFA yet.

Clone Wars factions may be added eventually, but considering how much hate there is for the prequels, i don't see that happening anytime soon.  Much more likely we'll see clone wars-era ships added to the Rebels and Imperials (Imperial Light Cruiser and Pelta-Class Frigate coming soon, more to come?)

I think the scum faction will be added first, perhaps with the option of allowing rebels to field Imperial designs and vice-versa as well. 

I will not cast a vote one way or another, but my understanding of the no scum idea is that pirate organisations could easily have a bunch of fighters, but they would likely not have more that a couple corvettes and carriers let alone a battleship!

The issue is that S&V is easy for X wing, where pirates get away with small ships and smuggling. Scum would never have large based ships, for instance, and would probably be no more than a frigate swarm force due to resources. A hand full of fighters and freighters is one thing: it represents a group of twenty or so people, and that's no big deal. But some of these capital ships have crews that number in the thousands, and that is not an easy thing to maintain for protracted battles. Even Czerka security forces are not THAT well funded.

I really do not want another faction right now, and I never want a scum/pirate faction. Why does Armada need pirates? It is advertised as a fleet based game, and just because that one faction in the now dead EU could muster a fleet to fight the Empire doesn't mean we need scum. And that stuff is likely not canon anymore, not that I know because I don't pay attention to the EU beyond RoTJ.

I like what we have going right now, and more content will be added over time. I kind of hope we only get 2 small waves per year that will flesh out both sides even more. Disney is pumping out Star Wars movies, so I wouldn't lose your mind because right now there may not be a lot of new additions to either side. Plus this game is expensive and I don't want to go broke collecting everything :P

However, if I had to add more factions, it would be Republic and CIS. When WotC made their Star Wars Starship Battles game, I was hoping it was going to be what Armada is now, but with Rep and CIS. The conventional warfare style that was the CW is much more attractive to me, with massive fleets on both sides.

The Problem with Scum as an Armada Faction, is we have no canon statements that any of the previous listings and crime consortiums have fleets.

We know the Black Sun exists, for example (As Ketsu is a member of it on Rebels)...  But nowhere do we know how big of a group that actually is anymore.  Or wether they are just a consortium of semi-independent operators, as Ketsu is.

Same as the Zann Consortium.  There is no canon statement that it even exists.

There isn't even any canon sourcing that Jabba has a Space-Worthy Vessel himself anymore!

Before we get a S&V Fleet in Armada, I feel that would have to change.   

At least, if its going to be a Fleet, anyway...  

I mean, I'm not perfect with these sorts of things, but I would challenge anyone to find a canon statement that any of these things have a Combat Worthy Fleet.

I think in order to have larger ships in a "scum" category, they'd have to throw in designs from the Hapan, Chiss, Mandalorians, etc, etc, etc.  Maybe not a true scum class, but more a "mercenary" faction neither rebel nor Imperial-aligned.  Although the idea of an Imperial or Rebel battle fleet going up against hordes of small ships, freighters and fighters would be interesting :)

I think in order to have larger ships in a "scum" category, they'd have to throw in designs from the Hapan, Chiss, Mandalorians, etc, etc, etc.  Maybe not a true scum class, but more a "mercenary" faction neither rebel nor Imperial-aligned.  Although the idea of an Imperial or Rebel battle fleet going up against hordes of small ships, freighters and fighters would be interesting :)

Have you not seen Demsu? Or CR90 swarms?

Have you not seen Demsu? Or CR90 swarms?

I've read about them and seen vids, but no i have never faced off against them.  But bear in mind, Armada is sadly on life support in my area.  Only myself and 1 or 2 others play, and then due to work, life, etc, we only get a few games in here and there per wave. However in my head i was picturing a vast space battle-say an Imperial ISD with light support and fighters vs. like 600 points of small ships, freighters and fighters :)

There isn't even any canon sourcing that Jabba has a Space-Worthy Vessel himself anymore!

Not true!  In one of the new comics that is canon it's shown that Jabba's sail barge is space worthy and that he has many of them.  :D

Not true!  In one of the new comics that is canon it's shown that Jabba's sail barge is space worthy and that he has many of them.  :D

AHA!   

This is what I was hoping for, to be Proven Wrong on that point...  I do not get Comics at all, so that was an untested part of my scope.

So thank you on that :)

So for possible additional factions why not go to eras.

• Galactic Republic
  • Confederacy of Independent Systems
  • 1stOrder

I did not include the Resistance because we didn't see any real ships besides Han's abandon frigate. But it could be possible.

I could see perhaps after Episode 8 or 9 a New Armada Core set with the 1stOrder and Resistance ships. Depends on how many Resistance Ships that are shown in the movie that are different from the OT ships. Then again they could simply be annexed into the two existing factions.

As for Clone War era factions it would make more sense to keep them as separate factions rather than merge them. But I don't believe Disney would endorse this as there is not enough consumer interest in the clone wars.

So what do you think. I mean are we going to have to deal with blue-on-blue matches for the rest of the Star Wars license with Armada or will it start to branch out a little?

No!

Zann Consortium

Yes!

Give us some of the lesser military powers of the CURRENT era.

No time-warp mix like in X-Wing, please!

First of all lets get this out of the way. Scum will not be a faction in Armada.

Oh I remember that delicious day when FFG announced Scum for X-Wing. People ate their hats that day. I was not one of them.

Now, I'm not saying that it fits Armada as well as it does X-Wing, I'm just saying that many people were absolutely adamant that it would never happen.

Scum is lame (for Armada).

That said, take a look at the "scum" squadrons currently in Armada. I don't think any of the uniques are actually X-wing scum pilots (the HWK is one example, with Jan being a rebel). So not impossible to imagine a Scum HWK. that leaves just finding some suitable capital ships.

Scum couldn't be a viable faction in Armada because this game is played on the big scale. During the period of GCW there wasn't any interstellar force that could cope with the Empire or the Rebellion. Sure they could use small ships and fighters but those are effective only for raids and not viable for a ship-v-ship battle even against Rebel capital ships, not to mention ISDs.

The two possible exceptions are the Hapes Consortium (but we have relatively little source about their ships in the era) and the Hutts (but they mostly stayed home and we have practically nothing about their ships), but I can't really see how they could add up as a complete third faction and a desirable choice for dedicated players - except of course if they come with some fancy new upgrade cards in which case we will buy them we just won't play them.

I think the Phantom and Defender snuck in because they'd been included in X-wing before the mass culling of canon, and were therefore sort of protected in FFGs pocket of the universe. They can retcon all the stories they want, but when there's physical game pieces out there making money, they have to make some sort of exception. E-wings are/were in the same situation.

It is totally possible that minor factions aquire a some cruisers and could be a local not galactic power factor.

The galaxy is huge.

And than are even the Hurt space, corporate sector and chiss for example that were independent and must have had a navy of some sort to control their space.