Sign in to follow this  
M_Vuorinen

Allow multiple saves, please.

I am absolutely perplexed that more people aren't talking about this. I emailed FF last week, but haven't received a response. 

I love playing this game both solo and with a group, but if my game group starts a long scenario, I am not able to play the game with anyone else (or solo) until we finish the scenario. Road to Legend, the Descent app, allows for multiple saves, so I am confused as why this isn't capable, or why the decision was made not to include.

I finally received a response from Fantasy Flight (Asmodee North America). Here is there disappointing response:

"The decision to make a single save was a design decision. There are not any current plans to support multiple saves.  We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused, we also appreciate your understanding and support.  As always, please contact us directly if you have any further questions or concerns."

I have followed up for further explanation and will continue to update this thread. 

I finally received a response from Fantasy Flight (Asmodee North America). Here is there disappointing response:

"The decision to make a single save was a design decision. There are not any current plans to support multiple saves.  We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused, we also appreciate your understanding and support.  As always, please contact us directly if you have any further questions or concerns."

I have followed up for further explanation and will continue to update this thread. 

A design decision? Now that's interesting. I wonder how the game benefits from it.

I think the whole project is not well designed......

Example:
Select a scenario from expansion (only in english selectable).
Then save it, change the language to german and you can play it in german.......im not sure if all text parts are translated but - WTF!!!!

After you select the language and go back to menu - you see the download animation, only the NEW GAME and CONTINUE are not selectable during download. After xy seconds (end of download the package) the buttons are selectable.

today if i testing savegame manager i detected this leak.....

we also appreciate your understanding and support.

I gotta say, I do support them as overall this is a truly excellent game and one of many in my collection from FFG, however, the presumption on understanding is misplaced. In this instance, nope dont understand, why cant we have multiple saves please? Coding-wise this should not be a big thing.

*Fails to understand*

we also appreciate your understanding and support.

I gotta say, I do support them as overall this is a truly excellent game and one of many in my collection from FFG, however, the presumption on understanding is misplaced. In this instance, nope dont understand, why cant we have multiple saves please? Coding-wise this should not be a big thing.

*Fails to understand*

Yup, when I read these things, I'm able only to make an equation "implementing this cool feature = time and money investment without any profit = no interest", said in a very polite way. I'd understand if the answer was "no, because [ENTER VALID REASON]" but saying "no, because we decided so, thanks for understanding" will end up pissing off a lot of people. I mean, we're not in the army where common soldiers need to blindly obey to their leaders, they leave and are in the businnes because people buy their games, and having such an attitude will end up turning people away form their products

I received some more feedback and will summarize. Again, I feel like - aside from the initial response - FF customer service has been very open and engaged. While I don't agree with their approach, I think it is more thoughtful than what I initially expected. I am paraphrasing their responses because I didn't wan't to quote further without permission (right or wrong). 

I asked for further explanation around what "design decision" meant. Their response was that they wanted to give MoM a more perilous feel since it was much more of a narrative experience than Descent (comparing the two due to similar approach with digital applications). They felt that multiple save slots would allow groups to replay to find the best course to proceed with. 

My response:

"Thank you for the expanded explanation. That is an interesting and understandable perspective, but couldn't the same be achieved by allowing only one game slot per scenario? That way, you could at least enjoy the game and a different scenario while waiting to complete the previous? I would also be curious as to why this is different from Descent, which allows multiple game save slots? It creates a feeling of peril as well. Is it how the application randomizes the monsters, with Descent being more randomly generated and Mansions of Madness being more scripted (due to the nature of the narrative)?

It feels like a decision that hinders the majority of consumers to limit the play style of a minority of gamer's, especially if that is how a particular game group likes to approach things (by 'choosing' the best course of action). 

If this is the design decision, will downloadable content (which requires purchasing) be available across multiple devices? The prominent workaround on the forums is to download the app on several different devices so you can have multiple game sessions. This would require multiple purchases of downloadable content and could be prohibitive, myself included, in supporting future expansions and content."

Their response was the Descent and Imperial Assault are more about multiple player choices and narrative paths, whereas MoM is more linear. They gave an example of an open ended RPG video game versus one that is more on "rails". They only addressed downloadable content by saying it is tied at the account level by whatever platform you purchase the content on. 

Again, I absolutely disagree with the approach and decision. I really enjoy this game, but their decision not to at least support a game save for each scenario is short sighted, solves a non-existent problem, and indicates that they don't care much for user feedback. I can't imagine any user feedback group saying they don't want to save multiple games because a few number of gamers are going to meta the whole thing. 

However, I am pleasantly surprised at the level of engagement and explanation that has been given my questions. As a consumer, I appreciate it very much. 

Id say that really it should be my choice if I wish to give a game I bought a more perrilous feel, however I understand designers will be protective of their work (which is not an excuse in my book as at my employment if a paying client changes my design for the worse, I have to accept it).

One save per scenario would have been fine without affecting the feeling of peril, then you can "pause" your group game while dipping into a solo game.

Its good we get detailed responses, but I cant see justification in their reasoning.

Neither can I, especially considering that Mansions is a game where you can cheat in thousand different ways: there's no actual limit to the number of actions / turn you can resolve, so, you can "cheat" and play the whole scenario before the first Mythos card is resolved; you can enter countless damage on a monster until it's defeated; you can solve infinite puzzle steps because there's no actual counter. All of this for me means the game can "played" to quite a serious level of "non periliousness". Additionally, it should be up to the players decide if they want to ruin their experience by exploting the save option or not (and it's not said it's "ruining" the experience either: maybe not everyone wants to play N times a 6-hour long scenario, and having an option to look at all the options could be fun)

It's nice they gave you a detailed answer, but still, the background message I receive is always the same...

solves a non-existent problem

You hit the spot here.

Even if, for some reason, some people would want to metagame the hell out of this game with multiple saves, why not allow them? It's not like they're going to cheat using this knowledge in some Mansions of Madness tournament.

If someone finds metagaming fun, what's wrong with that?

Julia: "It's nice they gave you a detailed answer, but still, the background message I receive is always the same..."

If you already have one game save, having multiple ones is not a problem. The work needed to implement multiple saves, is close to nothing when compared with the app cost. I'm saying this as a programmer.

Thus I don't believe at all in the "we don't want to spend money" explanation. Especially since they did "spend the money" in Road to Legend. I think someone genuinely haven't thought this through.

I have sent FFG an email, I'm attaching it here as an open letter.

Hello,

While waiting for the localized version of the Mansions of Madness Second Edition, I have learned that the game only allows us to have one game saved at a time.

In another of your games, Descent: Road to Legend, we pretty much always have two campaigns going around. One just for me and my wife, the other also includes a friend who visits sometimes.

We were prepared we're going to do the same in Mansions of Madness, as we're all fans of the first edition, thrilled with the arrival of second one.

But one of the scenarios, in Mansions of Madness second edition, lasts for several hours.
With only one game save we will never be able to play this scenario with our friend.
Because she visits once per two weeks, we would need to keep that save for at least month, and in that time we wouldn't be able to play with just the two us. It's not something we would want to do.

It also goes the other way round. If we're going to have the long-scenario save for the two of us, and she spontaneously visits, we're going to have a painful dilemma.

The game shouldn't force me to synchronize our game sessions with our friend visits. These can not always be planned in advance.

We all love Mansions of Madness and If we'll need to delete a save just to start another game, or to resign of a game just to not delete a save, it will make us very sad and upset.

Yours sincerely,

Krzysztof Domański

Edited by tsuma534

Thanks, Tsuma. I'm not a programmer, so, I don't know of the costs and difficulties of such a thing as implementing multiple saves. Plus, possibly, since it's already done for Descent, it could be enough copy-pasting that part of code and fix a few pointers?

Anyhoo, if time & money invested is not an issue, then I understand even less...

As you say, you can play the game with several groups of friends at the same time, and each of the meeting could happen at different time schedules and the actual form of the app doesn't allow you to fully enjoy the game