Sign in to follow this  
SPE825

Swarm Viability in Wave 9

So it seems to me that lately there are a of large base ships out there now. Especially on the scum side, which will only continue to be the case with the introduction of the Shadowcaster. Rebel lists, when around, seem to have Dash or some variation of the Ghost. Imperials are still access as usual of course. 

So with a smaller number of larger ships out there, do swarms of 7 TIEs, BBBBz, etc. become viable again? I'm just thinking that 7 TIEs would really mess with someone's new Shadowcaster list, etc. Of course Jumpmasters could torch a couple on the first pass. For some reason I'm just thinking that BBBBz (a lot of points to chew through for a swarm and might not die to a JM5K on the first pass) might even really surprise folks running a couple of large base ships. Thoughts?

Edited by SPE825

Swarms usually bank on killing more than you did in the initial joust, since 1-2 academies is nothing compared to taking out pretty much any large ship in the initial joust. All of the swarm lists bank more on flying skill than meta really, as it is really easy to screw up with them and they are easily the least forgiving list you can bring.

I imagine swarms are going to get more common. Both because theres more ships that can swarm, but also more upgrades that contour to a swarm. Four Blacks w/ Snapshot and 3 Academies for instance sounds mean lol

I think swarms definitely have some potential, but BBBBZ fell out of a favor a while ago. There's a local player who floundered with it pretty bad in our Store and Regional Championships, when he placed 1st or close in previous years with it. I think it's precisely b/c of Scouts, though. Plasma Torpedoes are very dangerous to B-Wings.

Tie swarms with Vectored Thrusters could make Tie Fighters lead by the queen of the Tie Swarms very useful, even a mini swarm with pulp in a shuttle could work out against large base ships

Numbers can also trump a lot of the strats people tend to bring.

For instance i brought a double bomber + Ryad list to a local tourny and one of my games was against 2 B's, 2 Z's, and a Y all at PS2 and lightly loaded. The target rich environment didnt play into my alpha-strike mentality very well. I still won....primarily because a single proton bomb took out BOTH Z's lol.... but the sheer fact that he had numbers and no real clear big hitters made it difficult for me. I took out the Y because TLTs lol....

Swarm is still pretty viable although the exact mix of ships has varied slightly. I think 7 Ties (Howlrunner, 3 Black/Crack, 3 Academy) seems pretty optimum. Low agility targets like Ghost melt like butter under 14 red dice with rerolls. Aces are a tougher prospect but crackshot helps to force damage through.

JumpMasters are not too bad for tie swarms. The academy pilots make great blockers which helps to shut down their ordnance. If they do launch torpedoes, 3 agility with Evade or Focus means they have to be lucky to one-shot a tie fighter. One an average roll, the Tie should survive with a hit point left meaning they are left trying to nibble your fighters to death with their 2-dice PWTs.

The real challenge with swarms is the same as it has always been, flying them well. You need to minimise (unplanned) self-bumps and keep your firepower focussed after the initial joust. If you can get the hang of that, you will rule the Galaxy.

Edited by Karhedron

Another point in the Scum/Rebel swarms' favor is that Contracted Scouts PS killed predator-vulnerable ships, and new EPTs coming out, means that there isn't much predator out there any more.

The 5 a-wings work not just because they out ps scouts, but with focus they have a very good chance of living through a four dice attack (which almost feels like the new standard).

B-wings are in a bad place almost exclusively because of plasma torpedoes.

The low PS swarm was countered by high PS double reposition ships, but Dengaroo, Black Market Slicer Tools, 40 hp lists, and to a lesser extent Wampa are all pushing against those high PS arc Dodgers.