Sign in to follow this  
SolennelBern

This question again: How many core set to have the "complete" game?

They gave enough cards in the lotr core to play 4 players? That's nice. In AH lcg though there would not be enough to play 4. 3 is possible if everyone is willing to go with sub par decks.

Edit: wrong it doesn't even have enough cards to play 3 legal decks.

Edited by DarkFate

I play out of one LOTR core. With the AP's and expansions I got, I quickly had enough for 4 random diverse packs. I know one of my friends will also get a core. I am hoping a 3rd friend will too. Not because of necessity, but then we can hold on to our "upgraded" decks and have them rather than shuffling in a core box. I just did the math and yes only 2 players can play out of a single core box (unlike LOTR with 4 mono color decks) This is due to the 30 card deck requirement. There are 119 player cards. Subtract ~15 because of investigators having specific cards in their class, this leaves 104 cards. Now remove upgraded versions of cards, which we don't know how many that is, but let's guess 30 (5 classes, 5 nuetrals), this brings it down to 74 cards, not enough to play 3 un-upgraded decks which is unfortunate. This doesn't count class overlap which further limits card pools. Oh well, I just want it released already.

I found that description of how many players can play the game is incoherent.

"You and your friend (or up to three friends with two Core Sets) become characters within the quiet New England town of Arkham. "

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/arkham-horror-the-card-game/products/arkham-horror-card-game/

"As the Ancient Ones seek entry to our world, one to two investigators (or up to four with two Core Sets) work to unravel arcane mysteries and conspiracies."

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/arkham-horror-the-card-game/

That's not incoherent.  You and three friends is four investigators.

As for completion sets, one has to assume that if they made good business sense then FFG would print them. Again, this is another argument that's been well gone over. You now have another product requiring regular print runs, than stores need to find room for, which only a relatively small percentage of the player base will actually buy (most people actually do only bit single cores from what I've picked up on other threads, but they're the silent majority who don't engage with the community).

This seems like a perfect use for FFG's in-house POD option.  $10 or so gets you those extra 20ish cards?

As for completion sets, one has to assume that if they made good business sense then FFG would print them. Again, this is another argument that's been well gone over. You now have another product requiring regular print runs, than stores need to find room for, which only a relatively small percentage of the player base will actually buy (most people actually do only bit single cores from what I've picked up on other threads, but they're the silent majority who don't engage with the community).

This seems like a perfect use for FFG's in-house POD option.  $10 or so gets you those extra 20ish cards?

Don't even try, we've been barking up that tree for a long time. I still don't think it's that big of a deal, get one and then see if you really want a second. I think we (myself included) often fall into a trap of compulsive completion-ism. Rise above brothers!

POD cards have a different texture and slightly different coloring so they'd be marked, which is bad for a card game.

10 basic cards per investigator class , 4 advanced (cards that cost xp) cards per investigator class. Add this up - you would get 14 , multiple it by 5 ( number of classes) and you would get 70.

10 basic cards per investigator class , 4 advanced (cards that cost xp) cards per investigator class. Add this up - you would get 14 , multiple it by 5 ( number of classes) and you would get 70.

Oh you mean unique titles? I thought you were referring to 1-ofs in the Core Set instead of a complete set (presumably 2 per title).

Oh you mean unique titles? I thought you were referring to 1-ofs in the Core Set instead of a complete set (presumably 2 per title).

I'm pretty sure it's that, too.  The only player cards that there will be multiples of will be the neutral cards, I believe.

Yes, there are 4 copies of each basic neutral assets (knife , flashlight, emergency cache) and 2 copies of each of the 5 skills ( guts, perception, overpower, manual dexterity, unexpected courage).

Edited by soul31

Unless I'm mistaken, quality doesn't match up. At least for their active LCGs, I think they're pretty careful about not mixing PoD cards in decks with retail cards.

LotR PoD quest decks, for example, are entirely self-contained. I assume the same will be true here.

Unless I'm mistaken, quality doesn't match up. At least for their active LCGs, I think they're pretty careful about not mixing PoD cards in decks with retail cards.

LotR PoD quest decks, for example, are entirely self-contained. I assume the same will be true here.

Nightmare decks are PoD.  They avoid mixing for the competitive games, but I think it's less of an issue for the cooperative.

Edit: Actually, that's not right either.  Organized Play prizes are PoD as well, and frequently provide alternate art.  Players are just required to use appropriate sleeves if they include them in their deck.

Edited by Buhallin

It was probably covered somewhere in this thread but even if i can live with buying two core sets (i don't plan on playing with more than 2 characters, even solo), do you guys think this format will only apply to the main core set?

My meaning is i fear that this format would also apply to expansion core boxes (not mythos packs), such as the Dunwich Legacy. I don't think i can handle buying multiple copies of the same expansion box.

On the article, it says : Five new investigators arrive to offer their services, armed with fifty-nine new player cards (including a complete playset of each)

Thoughts? 

Edited by Shirys

It was probably covered somewhere in this thread but even if i can live with buying two core sets (i don't plan on playing with more than 2 characters, even solo), do you guys think this format will only apply to the main core set?

My meaning is i fear that this format would also apply to expansion core boxes (not mythos packs), such as the Dunwich Legacy. I don't think i can handle buying multiple copies of the same expansion box.

On the article, it says : Five new investigators arrive to offer their services, armed with fifty-nine new player cards (including a complete playset of each)

Thoughts?

Expansions always have full sets, only the core sets lack complete playsets. FFG has stated it again and again, they favor giving more variety in core sets over full playsets of everything.

Thoughts? 

No LCG has ever required multiple copies of anything other than the Core Set. Unless you want 2 copies of a card in multiple decks.

I thought as such so it makes me worry a little less =)

I just want to have plenty of options to play with any two investigators (not the pairs they force upon you with only 1 core set). I'll rarely (or just won't) play with 3 or more.

Edited by Shirys

No LCG has ever required multiple copies of anything other than the Core Set. Unless you want 2 copies of a card in multiple decks.

Both AGoT and CoC, in the early days of the LCG format, required you to buy 3x of the chapter packs to get a play set. They were packed with 3x of 10 cards a 1x of 10 "rare" cards. They were also only $10 a shot.

That said, since they bumped the price point to $15 bucks a pack for a playset, and with rare exception, they haven't varied from expansions including a full play set.

There's every reason to expect all expansions to Arkham will do the same.

Thoughts? 

That's not quite true. Along with the early AGOT and COC examples BD provided, the first Star Wars deluxe expansion, which introduced the card pools for two factions that were barely included in the Core Set, needed to be purchased twice to have a complete playset. Given the asymmetrical design of Star Wars, they really couldn't release the Scoundrels before Scum or vice versa. Although given that that first deluxe in a lot of ways did have as much content as two deluxes, it wasn't really as bad a deal as it may sound.