Sign in to follow this  
John Constantine

I'm back with a whole load of reworked stuff

Hi. Remember my recent "Friends long forgotten" thread? I've shown some cards I reworked there. Well, in this thread, I will be showing most of the stuff I reworked (the one I at least feel somewhat comfortable with). There is plenty of cards to go around, that's why I created imgur albums for each sphere, for easier nagivation:

Leadership:

Lore:

Spirit:

Tactics and Neutral:

Feel free to diss anything you see, but argumented criticism is most welcome. Also, I would like to know if anybody feels I left out a card that in a dire need of rework and is not applicible/too powerful in the current game state. In the end, this is just fun hobby for me.

P.S.: Sorry, imgur keeps messing the order of leadership and spirit albums for some reason, I tried to re-organized them, but it just mixed the cards right back.
Edited by John Constantine

Some I love, some I dislike because they mess with cards I already like as is, some are OP, all are interesting. I would say your design abilities are improving noticeably. I think the one trend I almost universally loved was adding valour effects to old cards. I don't think there was one I didn't like. Makes me wish they had valour from the beginning.

Fairly bored at work today so let me give you brief feedback for each! (or at least the leadership cards as there are WAY MORE than I initially thought!)

I'm actually planning to do something sort of similar soon but rather than changing existing cards I'm going to make a bunch of new custom ones to try and improve upon existing traits and provide cards to fix what I see as weaknesses for certain traits or deck types (especially the warrior trait).
Really love the custom cards you make, they could really breathe new life into some next to useless older cards. I just wish that FFG legitimately made some of these cards like this originally because I am too much of a stickler for the rules to actually use custom cards during games. I still really enjoy reading them and thinking about how much better/more fun they would be to play with  :P 

Leadership:
-Rear Guard. Hmmm I really like the new effect and design on Rear Guard but you could use 2 or 3 copies in one turn and simply discard allies like Squire of the Citadel to give all heroes across the board +2 or +3 to all stats. It can also be recycled with the leadership Tome for a total of six uses. Maybe limit once per round? I do like that the doomed 1 provides an extra "cost" to use the card though. Also just till end of phase limits abuse.. hmm maybe it isn't necessary to limit it to once per round. Also perhaps it should at least be an ally that is controlled by the player playing the card rather than any ally in play to make it at least a little more restrictive/less awesome. It combos insanely well with the various allies that leave play at the end of the round anyway because you can quest with them then after the quest phase (when they are more or less useless unless you can ready them) you can discard them pre-emptively to boost your heroes combat capability. Gives more use to Elrond, Galadriel, Gandalf allies.

-Son of Arnor is great. I like that it now combos with other "surprise" cards (cards that care about enemy engagement vs your own threat). 
-Longbeard Orc Slayer. I actually prefer this card as 1 damage to all orc enemies in play. I know that it is restrictive and does nothing in quests that don't have orc enemies but he is called Longbeard Orc Slayer so to me it is unthematic if he damages any type of enemy. That being said your design definitely makes him a much more viable card for all quests rather than just ones that include orc enemies. I like that you gave him a point of willpower as well. For four cost even with his ability he should be able to quest for at least 1. 
-Steward of Gondor. I am in what I believe is the small majority that has absolutely no issue whatsoever with Steward of Gondor and don't think it needs any errata or changes whatsoever. The only single change I would make to Steward is changing the title of the card and it no longer providing the Gondor trait. It should be called something completely different (yet still being unique) so that it isn't a massive thematic fail placing it on anyone but Denethor. It should be a card that makes sense on pretty much any hero considering it is used on such a wide range of heroes by players of the game. 

-Taking Initiative is a fantastic card and I wouldn't change anything. If this is how the actual card operated it would almost be auto include in any ranger decks that use leadership in my opinion. 

-Keen Eyed Took is fantastic. Works great with the "surprise"mechanic and is no longer useless. I like the 1 point of attack you added as well. 

-Dawn take you all. Hmmm I would have liked a change to this card that helped it from doing nothing so often. I hate that this card can so easily fail and cancel nothing at all especially at 2 cost. Making it only cost 1 and adding doomed 1 instead definitely makes it more viable considering even if it does fail at least it only costs 1 instead of 2. The valour effect also helps with viability as it allows it to discard far more shadow cards at once which means it has a much better chance of actually cancelling some nasty shadow effects. I think that overall the redesign for this card is actually really good and makes it a much better card and far more viable but for some reason I am still not a fan of the card. Perhaps I just don't like the idea of paying resources to blindly discard shadow cards. I would rather shadow cancellation or cards that allow me to discard shadow cards regularly without paying each time like Armoured Destrier etc.

-Sword that was broken. Hmmmm I don't think anything is wrong with the original card unlike many of the other cards you have reworked (which desperately need an update/boost) but I do really like your version. I like that it gives the resource match for anyone not just Aragorn. I like that it requires the attached hero to be questing to give the boost as well as just getting the boost no matter what is pretty **** powerful. It is also a nice counterpoint against the fact it now provides a resource icon to any Dunedain hero not just Aragorn. I hate the restricted slot though.... I am strongly against adding restricted to pretty much any card as I think enough cards already have restricted on them as is and making more attachments restricted only limits deckbuilding even more. Other than restricted really love this redesign. Oh actually one other thing... I do think it needs to do something only if the attached hero is Aragorn as thematically it really is supposed to go on him. Perhaps like Snowmane it can lose the restricted keyword if attached to Aragorn? I would add that but keep everything else the same or I would just remove restricted altogether. Haha I recognised that symbol for Innistrad (the cool curved V shape) straight away in the art even though I haven't played magic for years.

-Sneak attack. I like this redesign as well but it might be too good with Gandalf. I really like that it makes Sneak attack actually worthwhile in conjunction with other allies considering as of now it is only really good with a select few allies. This change would make it a decent card when used with just about any ally thanks to the boost they receive. I really like this change but it would make Sneak attack + Gandalf just way too good. Other than that very simple but very cool redesign. 

-Fresh Tracks is great. Very small change but a great one. Rather than using the ability to not engage the enemy you can instead choose to engage the enemy optionally and it helps trigger "surprise" mechanics and abilities.

-We are not Idle is fairly different from the original. I like that you put a limit on it and a cost of 1 as well. You now need to exhaust at least 2 Dwarf characters to get a boost which in dwarf swarm decks really isn't hard or much of a setback. I've never run or used dwarf decks before so I can't really judge this card accurately but it seems as though you have made the card a lot less overpowered and a bit more reasonable. 

-Brok Ironfist. This redesign is one of my favourites. Well costed decent ally that is a fair bit cheaper when a dwarf character is destroyed and is free if a dwarf character is destroyed while you are in valour. Well costed, cool ability that makes sense. Everything that the original should have been! Also he is unique so you can't put more than one into play cheaply or for free anyway. 

-Dunedain Wanderer. As far as I can see you just upped the willpower to 2. Even though its such a minor change it is a good one. For 5 cost he should be 2/2/2 (there are plenty of 2/2/2 characters that are 4 cost) and even at only 2 cost in secrecy he is just that tiny bit better. I still would not use this card outside secrecy (3 or 4 resources is sort of my limit for ally cost and if im using an ally that costs more than 3 or 4 they better have one hell of an awesome or unique ability!) but it is definitely a bit more viable outside of secrecy now and far better with secrecy. 
-Common Cause is cool and still costs 1 but overall performs fairly differently. You need to trigger it now as you exhaust the original character. This means it is a little more restrictive as to when you can use it however you don't have to exhaust a hero to use the card anymore and instead just use it AS you exhaust a hero to use them for something else. I like this because you aren't just swapping one hero for another you are getting an additional action out of this card (rather than swapping who can perform an action) which honestly is better considering you are using up a card and a resource to do so. Bit more bang for your buck. It is very cheap readying however so that extra card on top might be a bit too good. Then again something like Descendants of Kings only costs 1 leadership resource and that can ready several characters and is almost always going to ready at least one or two so the card draw on top is probably spot on. Just the readying effect probably wouldn't be enough to justify using this card over lots of other cheaper readying effects. 

-Celebrians Stone. I like the redesign on this one but again I think it needs to have some effect that only triggers if it is attached to Aragorn as he is the intended receipient. Because it now gives the resource icon to any Dunedain hero perhaps it could only give +1 willpower but +2 if attached to Aragorn? I really like the discard effect if you have any copy. Really clever and cool mechanic for multiple copies of unique cards. Certain unique allies should have similar mechanics so that extra copies can still be used for something other than discard fodder/backup incase the ally dies. 

-Silverlode Archer. Fits in far more nicely with the Silvan mechanics and deck type now. Still an expensive ally for the stats so the ability makes sense and doesn't seem overpowered. 
-Guard of the Citadel. Hmmmmm does this guy need to cost 3 now? 3 defence and 2 hitpoints whilst ALSO still having a point of willpower and a point of attack is one HELL of a bargain for 2 resources. I know that he will only have 3 def in a deck using three Gondor Heroes but that is obviously the deck you are going to use him in. We do have lots of other decent defensive allies for 2 cost but they usually only have 1 hitpoint or have zero will or attack as well. He can also receive several boosts being a Gondor character so could easily be 2/2/3/2 with Visionary Leadership and Boromir leadership. Really can't decide if I think he should cost 3 now or should still cost 2 but heavily leaning towards 3 as he is just too good at only 2 cost in any dedicated Gondor deck. 
-For Gondor. Another very simple but great redesign. Made no sense that the old card boosted all characters attack and only boosted Gondor characters defence. This is better thematically and mechanically. 

-Dunedain Watcher. I have included this ally in my decks lots of times and every single time.... it is to have more shadow cancellation and control. Never is she included for any other reason... I like that you give her an additional point of willpower making her actually useful for something other than her ability. Even just that single point of willpower I think is more than enough to make her a much more viable and useful card. The extra ability can only be used when in valour though so definitely doesn't make her too good or anything. It is just a feint effect and you do still have to discard her so I actually quite like the additional ability as well. If this card was actually designed like this the first thing I would be doing tonight is including 3 copies in my decks! The actual version of the card I just cannot bring myself to use anymore ESPECIALLY with the addition of new shadow control cards like Armoured Destrier and whatnot that are just so much better. 

-Ever Vigilant. With so many more readying effects and cards these days a card like this is next to useless. It is still worth using in conjunction with high cost powerful allies that have good all round stats or with for example Ents but overall unless it is being used in a specific way is pretty bad and doesn't compare to many other options we have these days. Hell you can trigger this effect once per turn (or more depending!) with Leadership Faramir hero for free! This new version costs zero which I think is fitting and replaces itself (by drawing a card) if the targeted ally shares a trait with each of your heroes. Still not the best card ever but definitely a far more valuable and affordable effect with the redesign. 

-Grave Cairn. Love that it just provides +3 across the board and costs zero. Pretty much the leadership version of Unseen Strike but instead of needing to have a lower threat than the enemies engagement you need a character to have been destroyed or discarded that turn. A much better and much more viable version. May be a little too strong with Eomer though as for one resource and one ally death he goes from 3 attack to a whopping 8 for one resource. 

-Valiant Sacrifice. Just like your redesign of Grave Cairn is almost like a leadership version of Unseen Strike with a different trigger this is like the leadership version of Foe Hammer! Instead of destroying an enemy with a hero that has a weapon attachment you need an ally to be destroyed or discard and only draw 2 instead of 3 if the ally was not unique. I really like this redesign as well although 3 cards for 0 cost even if you are losing a unique character at the same time is pretty **** good. The fact that the loss of the ally is not because of this card and just an additional cost I think this might be a bit too strong at 0 cost.

Perhaps it should still cost 1 but should still have the extra card drawn for unique characters. I think I prefer it costing 0 but it might just be too strong. If you have two of these in hand you can draw 6 cards without any cost (well other than the cards taking up space in your deck) after losing a unique ally and if you are playing with unique allies that can be discarded or destroyed and then brought back (or returned to hand) like Glorfindel or Gamlings effect you can sort of semi abuse this effect as you get the ally back anyway but still get this huge card draw. 

Some I love, some I dislike because they mess with cards I already like as is, some are OP, all are interesting. I would say your design abilities are improving noticeably. I think the one trend I almost universally loved was adding valour effects to old cards. I don't think there was one I didn't like. Makes me wish they had valour from the beginning.

Care to elaborate at least a little? :)

PsychoRocka, now getting to you.

Rear Guard - just a clarification, but you cannot discard an ally you don't control (you can't generally pay for card effects with stuff you have no control over), so I decided to not waste text box space with a redundant clarification.

Steward of Gondor - I'm not just trying to stomp on Steward, I'm also trying to give way for other resource generating effects.

Keen Eyed Took - it feels to me like a 2-cost 1/1/0/2 ally became somewhat "good tone" for this game. Deviations from that stat box should be followed by some significantly effective card texts. Example of fail: Mirkwood Pioneer (oh man, I should probably buff him too! need to find a fitting art now, ****). He has an optional doomed trigger, yet his stat sux major league balls and you'll never pay 2 for him outside the rare need to trigger his ability. Generally, you wouldn't even include him.

Sword that was Broken - you know me, I hate significant effects only available to a single name out of the entire roster. Also, the power of this card rose significantly with it being able to work on any Dunedain or Noble, not just Aragorn, so nerfs in form of restricted are not that devastating to me. On the doing something for Aragorn... I can think of it costing 1 less for him, like Helgruim (sorry if I misspelled that, don't wanna to break the answer for google) costs 1 less for Theonden. However, dat text box is already crowded...

Also, about the art. It's surprised me greatly, but I couldn't find a **** thing that remotely resembles the sword that was broken. If anybody has anything - please, SEND!

Sneak Attack - you might wan't to reserve your judgement until you see what have I done with Gandalf ;)

Dunedain Wanderer - I also upped his health to 3. But the main change is willpower, yes, as I consider stuff that can't properly quest - has no place in secrecy.

Common Cause - exactly on spot. These old "little" cards, their badness is half of their misfortune, the other half is how little they actually do. You need to add them some additional bang to entice the player to use them, however you cannot add the flat bang, so you need to make it optional to keep the balance at bay.

Guard of the Citadel - the entire point of his optional boost is to keep him at cost of 2. He was previously just a 1/1/0/2 Gondor body. There is 1/1/0/1 neutral Gondor body that essentially costs 1, and there is also 1/1/0/2 Gondor body with cost 2 that can move resources, so I opted for him to fit his name and be actual Guard. 3 def is strong, yet I don't think that would break the game, as Leadership (especially gondor) has few defenders, and 3def/2hp is still pretty fragile, enemies exceed attack of 3 frequently, and any shadow attack boost will easily spell doom for the Guard.

Dunedain Watcher - if there is a single thing I learned, it's that self-discarding characters should pack a punch.

Ever Vigilant - this was a very tough one for me. Readying ally is a very worthless thing to do most of the time, and if I slap too much bonuses on top - it can grow out of proportion. It might still be on the weaker side, so I'll see what I can do.

Grave Cairn - I did a research and found out there are almost no allies who could provide any significant attack boosts for this card to be remotely viable (cept for sneaky Gandalf, but that is too narrow for me), so I went for flat +3 attack. Also, I went from "leaves play" to "is discarded or killed" to fit the theme more (and justify the cost reduction). It's also not in the same sphere as Eomer, so all is not lost :)

Valiant Sacrifice - as with Grave Cairn, I removed the resource cost, but change the trigger from leaving play to being discarded or killed, so you won't be getting cards for sneak attacks, feigning voices, or etc. The cost 0 is associated with the fact that you're 100% losing a character, and probably not in a good way for you.

Have you thought about white tower watchman i would like to add a gondor synergy? Mabye a additional response, if you controll only gondor heroes you may give white tower watchman +2 defense for a resource, until the end of the phase.

I like what you have done with the cards, not all but many of them. keep up the good work.

Edited by noctum

I find White Tower Watchman an extremely valuable and potent card already. 2def/3health neutral defender for 3 is already nothing to sneeze at, even outside the monosphere.

Could be true?? I have never seen the card outside of monosphere bulids. And if you play with 3 gondor heroes you have a very low willpower, you could at least use a decent defender also to pay a resource is not cheap.

Well, for a comparison, there are currently only 4 allies in the game that have 2 def and 3 health at the cost of 3. They are:

Dwalin

Longbeard Sentry

Wellinghall Preserver

and White Tower Watchman.

Just because it isn't used outside the monosphere doesn't means he has no potential outside one. He costs only 3, so that means he could be played turn one in any combination of spheres deck (as long as there is at least 3 heroes). 

Posting in the right thread this time:

specific tactics/neutral mounts:

Firefoot:  Losing restricted for Eomer is a better buff than giving +2 attack only to Eomer.  Taking up a restricted spot, it really needs +2 attack for attacking alone to be justified, and without attacking alone it's certainly not worth 2-cost to buff attack by one.

Rohan Warhorse: +1 attack is a welcome buff, given the restricted slot use.  Switching eligiblity from tactics to warrior is a thematic touch.

Arod: giving it +1 attack and restricted is necessary given the 1 mount requirement you've imposed.  I like Legolas losing restricted, I don't like that Legolas ally can no longer use Arod.

Shadowfax:  I like using the restricted-not-on-Gandalf to widen eligiblity to "Istari heroes", even though Gandalf is the only Istari hero.  I can hope it won't always be that way.

Well, for a comparison, there are currently only 4 allies in the game that have 2 def and 3 health at the cost of 3. They are:

Dwalin

Longbeard Sentry

Wellinghall Preserver

Just because it isn't used outside the monosphere doesn't means he has no potential outside one. He costs only 3, so that means he could be played turn one in any combination of spheres deck (as long as there is at least 3 heroes). 

There's a fifth ally, Skinbark.  But no one plays Dwalin for 3, his special ability is to cost 1 with 5+ dwarves.  Longbeard Sentry can buff his defense by discarding off deck, which certain decks like to do anyway.  Wellinghall Preserver has 3 wp and heals ents when readying, plus has 2 attack -- even entering exhausted, he outclasses the other 3-cost 2def/3hp non-uniques by an amazing margin.  (Skinbark has 4 attack and smashes orcs, but as a unique he's not directly comparable.)

Yes, you can play him turn one in any combination of spheres deck.  I just can't envision a deck where my best play on turn one would be to put a 1/0/2/3 ally in play, at the cost of all my resources, with no special abilities.  As just a body, I don't think he's worth 3, even with being easy to play.

Dwalin

Longbeard Sentry

Wellinghall Preserver

Hum with the new Noldor stuff Guardian of Rivendell is even better with 1/2/3/3, Wtw with total def and hp of 5 he wont survive many attacks and often becomes a very expensive chumpblocker. Mabye he is to good with +2 def for one resource (but that response only works with 3 gondor heroes) and i you use his response all the time you can play very little else. All i want is to give him some gondor synergy like what you did with the guardian. And gondor usually uses resources for different effects.

Edited by noctum

Another thought, The sword that was broken has be used by the descendants of the Numerorians. It should be usable by duendain and gondor heroes and mabye black Numenorians as well. Also i like that not only Artagorn can use TSTWB  thou i think that if its attached to aragorn it should give him a small bonus, i have no idea what thou.

Guardian of Rivendell also costs 2 cards from your cards. Dwalin is unique, Skinbark is unique and is entering play exhausted as well as Wellinghall Preservers. The only one at the real direct advantage is Longbeard Sentry, who still requires you to spend entire round worth of tactics resoruces. And I was only judging by the defending capabilities, don't compare the other stuff. My main point was there are pretty few defenders in the game, and White Tower Watchman is too decent one to get dismissed just because of monosphere ability.

Another thought, The sword that was broken has be used by the descendants of the Numerorians. It should be usable by duendain and gondor heroes and mabye black Numenorians as well. Also i like that not only Artagorn can use TSTWB  thou i think that if its attached to aragorn it should give him a small bonus, i have no idea what thou.

I already got little thing brewing. It cost 1 less on Aragorn.

I guess we think differently, thats good. I feel thou that gondor should be the bulwark of the west therfore it should have descent defenders (outside of beregond or blood of numenor) they dont, you dont think so. Also i still feel that Gondor is underdeveloped i remember an episode from the grey company saying that gondor lacks "glue cards" i agree thou i feel its a bit better today but not by much. Therefor i wanted to make a glue card, thats my reasoning, and thematically a white tower watchman should be an elite guard and therefore warant a good defense. 

Also Defender of rivendell decks wants to discard so its not really a big thing and they also have an easier time to make their allies better with attachments and events than gondor has.

Edited by noctum

Guardian of Rivendell also costs 2 cards from your cards. Dwalin is unique, Skinbark is unique and is entering play exhausted as well as Wellinghall Preservers. The only one at the real direct advantage is Longbeard Sentry, who still requires you to spend entire round worth of tactics resoruces. And I was only judging by the defending capabilities, don't compare the other stuff. My main point was there are pretty few defenders in the game, and White Tower Watchman is too decent one to get dismissed just because of monosphere ability.

I guess my trouble is that I don't think of 2/3 as a decent defender.  In a hero I think 2/3 has potential as a defender, once you can get attachments to get them up to 4+ defense and can cancel nasty shadows, but I wouldn't risk them for defense unaided except against the weakest of foes.  But a 2/3 ally?  That's a decent *emergency* defender, but he's not going to defend multiple times except against very weak foes, and 3 cost is just too much for a two-hit chump.

White Tower Watchman *does* have something else going for it, in monosphere.  Which is why it's pretty much exclusively in monosphere decks.

As a direct defender, I'd rather have Wellinghall Preserver than White Tower Watchmen.  Yes, it's harder to pay for, yes it enters exhausted -- but it's also a natural target for Burning Brand and *self-healing*.  But I rarely defend with the preserver, because their 3 wp is so awesome.

Longbeard Sentry does cost a full round of tactics resources.  It's also less popular than White Tower Watchmen, and is found almost exclusively in dwarf decks and/or decks that want to discard.  It's 2/3 base defense just isn't enough to buy it for the body, especially in a sphere where you can get 4/1 for 2 resources.  You can also turn Longbeard Sentry into an actual reliable defender with Raiment of War, which doesn't work on White Tower Watchman.

I guess we think differently, thats good. I feel thou that gondor should be the bulwark of the west therfore it should have descent defenders (outside of beregond or blood of numenor) they dont, you dont think so. Also i still feel that Gondor is underdeveloped i remember an episode from the grey company saying that gondor lacks "glue cards" i agree thou i feel its a bit better today but not by much. Therefor i wanted to make a glue card, thats my reasoning, and thematically a white tower watchman should be an elite guard and therefore warant a good defense. 

Also Defender of rivendell decks wants to discard so its not really a big thing and they also have an easier time to make their allies better with attachments and events than gondor has.

Have you seen the updated Guard of the Citade? :)

Have you seen the updated Guard of the Citade? :)

Yes and dont like it, with sword-thrain he could have 4 defence + 1 from Rainment of war=thats potentially 5 defence and 4 hp for a 2 cost ally that is a bit strong even for me wishing to improve gondor decks. Edited Defender of ramas could have 5/3 so im not sure..

Edited by noctum

More tactics allies:

Veteran of Nanduhirion -- strictly better and the 2-cost discount in Valour territory is terrific.  The original is too expensive, I like this revision.

Beorning Beekeeper -- strictly better stats with a better ability.  The original was *way* too expensive, this is better.

I'm not sure I'd pay four for either of them still, but I'd certainly consider it in the right deck.

Horseback Archer -- 1 wp and a useful discard ability, I think this would make it a great card in a Rohan deck, which isn't really now.

Great job!

Yes and dont like it, with sword-thrain he could have 4 defence + 1 from Rainment of war=thats potentially 5 defence and 4 hp for a 2 cost ally that is a bit strong even for me wishing to improve gondor decks. Edited Defender of ramas could have 5/3 so im not sure..

If you're willing to invest an additional six resources to make your 2-cost defender into a 5/4 defender, that seems reasonable to me :)

Longbeard orcslayer is not quiet my cup of tea as written mabye +1 attack and only damages orcs Valour action do 2 damage to all orcs of you discard the longbeard orcslayer. Its an orcslayer so it should kill orcs. i know it limits is uses but.

For gondor as written this card removes one of the only/few attackbosts in the coreset, so mabye a valour action as well and +1 attack for all somehow

The rest of the leadershipcards you have made i like.

If you're willing to invest an additional six resources to make your 2-cost defender into a 5/4 defender, that seems reasonable to me :)

Well you get another hero as well. as i said im not sure.