Sign in to follow this  
Titus Priam

Help to improve Something Rotten in Kislev (WFRP1) - SPOILERS

I hope there still is a few people on the forum that can help with the old SRiK.
We are playing Power Behind the Throne, and will play SRiK next. I would like some help linking the SRiK adventures better. Some links to the TEW campaign would also be great.

The group (4000-7000 xp each):
A Kislev Master Thief that mostly grew up in the Reikland but know Kislev
A Pistolier (coming Knight)
A Sigmarit Witch Hunter (Werner Stoltz have taken his license after he made a fool of himself) that had an encounter with a Kislev vampire in Kemperbad.
A dwarf Rune Smith apprentice

The dwarf Rune Smith apprentice has contact to a Dwarf scholar in Middenheim. My Idea was that the scholar is looking for old dwarf temples and ruins and wants help to locate a site. (The temple in The Beast Child) In the temple the players are going to find a secret forge with the ghost of a Master Rune Smith that never finish his final rune in addition to what’s in the adventure.

1. What could link the temple with Gruthgano Gorthaudh in colony Chernozavtra or/and Sulring Durgul in Bolgasgrad? The players need a strong reason to seek out the dwarf necromancer. The temple is 5000 years old and Gruthgano isn’t that old.
  2. How do you make an interesting link from Chernozavtra to the Bolgasgrad adventure?
    (I think I will replace Bolgasgrad with a town further to the North to fit with Realm of the Ice Queen background)
  3. Ideas to improve the final adventure would also be welcome. Not sure to use it or not.
  4. Are there any good adventures with a vampire a villain that I could use in Kislev?

How about having the two magic users engaged in corrospondence? The dwarf could be seeking advice from Sulring vis a vis improving the necromantic "resurrection" of his dead love.

or...

Sulring could be quizzing the dwarf on the location and power of some magical artefact that he had once come across.

Or both.

Given that the temple in the Beast Child is the site of some unusual undead phenomena, and might plausably house a magic item or two perhaps it has come up in conversation between the two magic users. (As it happens there aren't really any poweful magical items in the temple, though you could place one there if you felt like it - even if you don't the magic item might have been looted by previous visitors - or just be a rumour that turned out to be false).

Perhaps such correspondence could have even been intercepted by agents of the Tsar, who might pass it on to the players in order to give them some insight into the powers they might face.

I can se the magic users trading information, and the Tsars agents intercepting a correspondence. (Believing them both being elves)

They are already getting orders to go to the colony, when they return from the temple. So I'm not sure how it increases the need to talk to the dwarf necromancer?

If they believe that Sulring got a magic item from the temple, then the dwarf wound want to returne the item to dwarf hands. It gives the party has extra reason to go to Bolgasgrad(or another town) besides the Tsars orders.

Well Sulring is such a dangerous opponent that those advising the PCs might recommend they deal with the dwarf first - simply because he is the lesser of two evils and may divulge information on Sulring's operation.

Whether he is actually a useful source of info is up to the GM, of course.

Last time I played “Death takes a Holiday” it went really bad, and my players said that they lacked reasons to go into the colony through orcs and Dolgans. It led to an interesting discussion about what things each liked about roleplaying.

So I guess would like a second reason or quest to get the players into the colony on top of orders and advice from the Tsars agents.

This was just the thread I was looking for on this forum!

I'm planning on running the campaign at some point in the future myself (again), and I know from player feedback and personal experience that the book is rather weak.

Since it's been so long since I GMd the campaign I won't comment on the story links to the rest of the campaign, but as for the final adventure, I'd have to say the following: don't force the players into undeath unless they actually die (or rather, would have died unless they spent a fate point - make them think they spent a fate point when in reality they died). Tone down the power level of the dwarf-elf wizard - let him be killable if the players come up with a good plan of doing so or circumstances simply lead to it - he doesn't have any relevance to the rest of the campaign or the world itself. Oh, and make the bound greater daemons into lesser daemons while you're at it, as they're just absurdly out of place. In a similar vein, let the players come up with other ways of working the situation out - perhaps even negotiation can work to their advantage.

The big theme of the adventures in SRiK seems to be to let the players witness the awesome power of things that exist beyond the lands of the Empire, and not letting them do anything about it. Changing this is of paramount importance.