Sign in to follow this  
John Constantine

The Corsairs of Umbar

Just makes me want City of the Corsairs more and, inexplicably, Outlands Imrahil.

yeah, i'm glad to see new Outlands support is making people give Outlands another chance.

i think when people cried 'it makes the game too easy!' before what they really meant was that it made deckbuilding easy (or rather, that it didn't give a lot of interesting choices and/or streamlined the process by including pretty much all Outlands cards and then deciding if you really wanted Hunter of Lamedon or not)

but this new Imrahil hero and Imrahil attachment are nice.  Tactics or Leadership Imrahil?  if Tactics, what are you going to add?  or maybe even go Spirit with the new Imrahil ally...  it opened up a lot of the deckbuilding space i think, which makes it a bit more engaging.

Nyashish.
Na'asiyah

Hirluin, Faramir and Imrahil Mono Leadership Outlands deck for the win!

Yeah, I think Prince will be better on Leadership Imrahil, or at least easier and less janky.

Both of these cards feel a little too expensive to me. Terrible to Behold might see play in my LeDenethor + Damrod Palantir/Trap deck, but other than that I'm not sure I'll use it very often.

It'd be fun to build a deck around getting down Ally Boromir + Raiment of War + Vigilant Guard. That's 9 resources and and a 3-card combo though, and those really aren't things that Tactics can do on its own.

i think Vigilant Guard is basically reads: 'attach to Tactics Gimli'

it's really nice for him to help build up his power in a less risky way. it could be too expensive, as you say, but it does also provide 2 extra hit points, so for Gimli: it's a 3-cost, +2 attack card that also helps you build up his attack in a more controlled way

i can't think of anything else that would be super helpful otherwise. spreading the damage around in a way to prevent characters from dying, but i agree. it's really expensive in that regard.

also about Terrible to Behold: it's a Tactics effect in Leadership. it's not going to be as good. look at Quick Ears or Expert Trackers, which are not normally Lore abilities, but not as good as their counterparts.

it gives more options for a Leadership/Tactics deck, but i think this fits into a Leadership deck that doesn't have access to Feint. it also helps Dunhere, if such a Rohan deck could be made (Rohan has quite a few options with Leadership, and there are plenty of nobles, so i could see this working there). and it's cheaper than A Light in the Dark*

*if you don't need your noble's action for anything else

Hirluin, Faramir and Imrahil Mono Leadership Outlands deck for the win!

Yeah, I think Prince will be better on Leadership Imrahil, or at least easier and less janky.

yeah, i've been rocking a Hirluin, Denethor, Hirluin mono Leadership, and i think i'll end up replacing Denethor with Leadership Imrahil

i also tried Erestor, based on someone's posted deck, and that extra card draw is pretty awesome. it might make Tactics Imrahil worth considering, but Lord of Morthond is just so awesome!

Edited by dr00

Denethor is another good one too. But I like the lineup I mentioned, feels very thematic but not in a forced way. Sure, you could exploit Faramir better in another deck, but with how huge the Outlanders get, just readying an ally whenever you engage an enemy is pretty good. And of course, with Imrahil you get another Outlands hero, which gives a great new spin to the deck. Maybe you won't be using his ability that often because you don't want your allies to die, but with like x3 Sneak Attack, x3 Gandalf and x3 Tome of Atanatar, you're gonna use it for sure. I think an actually more refreshing, thematic Outlands deck is going to emerge after the last pack is released.

Na'asiyah

Oh, you're too amusing :3

P.S.: Nyashish.

Na'asiyah

Come on, bruv, two against one doesn't sounds like a fair fight. Nyashish.

By the way, article says that AP arrives at retailers next week. This means spanish guys will have the AP in a couple of days, right?

Edited by John Constantine

One thing nice about Terrible to Behold is that it works against unexpected attacks in the Quest phase where Feint does diddly squat.

You're right about Feint not working, but I'm not sure Terrible does either.

"If a card effect uses the word "then," then the preceding effect must resolve successfully for the subsequent dependent effect to resolve."

So if we can't return the enemy to the staging area (because he isn't engaged) can we use the card?

I was mainly referring to something like http://hallofbeorn.com/Cards/Details/Followed-by-Night-RtR where enemies could already be engaged with you and making attacks.

I'm not sure if it works against enemies that are are attacking from the staging area, but I would bet no.

But if the enemy is engaged with you then Feint does work.

Ok, while Nyashish isn't spoiled yet, I'll make a little gamble for myself.

When Nyashish is spoiled, if I like her ability and consider it viable, I instantly order all the stuff I'm currently missing from my LotR collection, which includes most Nightmare packs, some PoD quests, and all currently available Grey Havens APs. 

Hmmmmm great encounter spoilers but somewhat subpar player cards in my opinion. They definitely aren't bad per say but they seem pretty niche...

Strongly agree with John that Vigilant Guard should only be two cost.

Elven Mail is two cost and provides sentinel and +2 hitpoints.

This card costs three and provides +2 hitpoints and the response effect. Is the response effect that much better than sentinel to warrant that extra resource in the cost. I personally don't think it is especially when we have Song of Mocking which has a very similar effect for one tactics resource.

That being said it is a decent card in the right deck. It is obviously the sort of card you want to run in combo with Gloin or Gimli but again Song of Mocking can do the same thing for less. It is probably alot better on Gimli as it gives him extra hitpoints without taking up a restricted slot like Citadel Plate. This way you can put other useful attachments on him instead. Its still pretty great on Gloin as well though. Outside these two heroes the only other decent use I can think of is Boromir ally who already costs 4 on his own (so it would cost 7 to get this attached to him which is a quite a lot especially for tactics...). A little bit too niche for my liking. I guess one other thing you could do with it is attach it to a warrior character with a decent amount of hitpoints so that they can take the first point of damage dealt to your main defender a few times to keep damage off your defender. You are still going to need to heal your character with Vigilant Guard eventually (in harder quests at least) so you are just buying yourself time in a way. I really like the concept and design of the card but again I think 3 cost is just too much and the difference between 2 and 3 cost is HUGE in this game especially considering many decks feature 1 hero in one sphere and the other 2 in a second so the main difference between 2 and 3 cost is whether you can play it with a single turns worth of resources or if you have to use resource ramp/wait multiple turns before you can play the card. Even though I don't run tactics Gimli or Gloin I would still be considering including this card in my current decks with Tactics Aragorn or Leadership Gimli as the intended targets if it cost 2, 3 is just too high a cost however and so until I one day build a deck around Gloin or tactics Gimli this card will remain unused.

Vigilant Guard is another way to save Hero-Beorn's lifepoints :)

Hmmmmm great encounter spoilers but somewhat subpar player cards in my opinion. They definitely aren't bad per say but they seem pretty niche...

Strongly agree with John that Vigilant Guard should only be two cost.

Elven Mail is two cost and provides sentinel and +2 hitpoints.

This card costs three and provides +2 hitpoints and the response effect. Is the response effect that much better than sentinel to warrant that extra resource in the cost. I personally don't think it is especially when we have Song of Mocking which has a very similar effect for one tactics resource.

That being said it is a decent card in the right deck. It is obviously the sort of card you want to run in combo with Gloin or Gimli but again Song of Mocking can do the same thing for less. It is probably alot better on Gimli as it gives him extra hitpoints without taking up a restricted slot like Citadel Plate. This way you can put other useful attachments on him instead. Its still pretty great on Gloin as well though. Outside these two heroes the only other decent use I can think of is Boromir ally who already costs 4 on his own (so it would cost 7 to get this attached to him which is a quite a lot especially for tactics...). A little bit too niche for my liking. I guess one other thing you could do with it is attach it to a warrior character with a decent amount of hitpoints so that they can take the first point of damage dealt to your main defender a few times to keep damage off your defender. You are still going to need to heal your character with Vigilant Guard eventually (in harder quests at least) so you are just buying yourself time in a way. I really like the concept and design of the card but again I think 3 cost is just too much and the difference between 2 and 3 cost is HUGE in this game especially considering many decks feature 1 hero in one sphere and the other 2 in a second so the main difference between 2 and 3 cost is whether you can play it with a single turns worth of resources or if you have to use resource ramp/wait multiple turns before you can play the card. Even though I don't run tactics Gimli or Gloin I would still be considering including this card in my current decks with Tactics Aragorn or Leadership Gimli as the intended targets if it cost 2, 3 is just too high a cost however and so until I one day build a deck around Gloin or tactics Gimli this card will remain unused.

Vigilant Guard is another way to save Hero-Beorn's lifepoints :)

Also, Song of Mocking only targets one other hero. Vigilant Guard can be used multiple times, and protect allies.

One thing nice about Terrible to Behold is that it works against unexpected attacks in the Quest phase where Feint does diddly squat.

You're right about Feint not working, but I'm not sure Terrible does either.

"If a card effect uses the word "then," then the preceding effect must resolve successfully for the subsequent dependent effect to resolve."

So if we can't return the enemy to the staging area (because he isn't engaged) can we use the card?

I'm afraid we can't -- which takes away its ability to be used against engaged-from-staging-areas.  This card is getting more niche by the minute.

also about Terrible to Behold: it's a Tactics effect in Leadership. it's not going to be as good. look at Quick Ears or Expert Trackers, which are not normally Lore abilities, but not as good as their counterparts.

it gives more options for a Leadership/Tactics deck, but i think this fits into a Leadership deck that doesn't have access to Feint. it also helps Dunhere, if such a Rohan deck could be made (Rohan has quite a few options with Leadership, and there are plenty of nobles, so i could see this working there). and it's cheaper than A Light in the Dark*

*if you don't need your noble's action for anything else.

I've no problem with Terrible to Behold not being as good as Feint.  I'm just surprised that it's so much worse than feint.  There are plenty of nobles, but there are few nobles who you won't need their action for anything else, when in combat.  But I think it's the return to staging that's the killer.  If that wasn't there, or avoidable by playing another cost (a resource?), it'd be more generally useful.

You're right that it is comparable in effect to A Light in the Dark -- and no one really considers that card a "spirit Feint" even though it has the same virtues as this card.  At ringsdb of 765 of 1145 tactics decks use Feint (67%), while 49 of 1495 spirit decks use A Light in the Dark (3%), and as you might expect, most of those are either Dunhere decks or limited card pool.  I will grant that A Light in the Dark would be more useful in spirit if it were 1 resource and a noble exhaustion.

So instead of an inferior feint, we get a superior Light in the Dark....

I feel like there are shenanigans to be pulled with Terrible to Behold.  And how good it is sort of depends on who you are using it on.

Take for example Arwen Undomiel (ally), suppose Galadriel is on your team you can put her on the quest without exhausting, engage an enemy and defend with Arwen, Terrible to Behold, and trigger Arwen's ability on another character.  

Hilarious as it is, I think that Arwen Undomiel is probably the  best target for this card.   You don't want to exhaust a hero of course,  but maybe you don't have to.  

In-sphere you could use Terrible to Behold on Ally Faramir, for those situations where you don't really need his ability because you are overquesting anyway, you can make an easy defense.  

You might also be interested in running this card in a Dunhere deck, where I think it could be really strong.

The Glorfindel ally is potentially a target for Terrible to Behold. He can ready again by discarding.

I'm not totally sold on the card, but it will have its place. Pushing enemies back into the staging area can be handy for some deck types that would be willing to sacrifice one action to get an enemy away. And in multiplayer it may help to reorganise enemies if they swamped too much at one point and the dedicated combat deck didn't get them all? Although there are other solutions to this problem (ranged etc.). Hmm.

Maybe it was mentioned, but it works with Bard and Great Yew Bow too. But that archetype I think needs more stuff to throw enemies into the staging area, and Bard is pretty high threat so that hurts the strategy. I'm not sure about this card yet.

Also, Song of Mocking only targets one other hero. Vigilant Guard can be used multiple times, and protect allies.

Thought that Song of Mocking cannot be used on Beorn.

When Nyashish is spoiled, if I like her ability and consider it viable, I instantly order all the stuff I'm currently missing from my LotR collection, which includes most Nightmare packs, some PoD quests, and all currently available Grey Havens APs. 

you don't have Grey Havens APs yet?

also, Na'asiyah

also, Na'asiyah

No. Shipping stuff separately to where I live is costy, so I usually wait until the whole cycle releases and then order everything at once. Good thing I have waited long enough for Grey Havens Deluxe to release before I ordered last time, so I can play with Nyashish.

also, Na'asiyah

No. Shipping stuff separately to where I live is costy, so I usually wait until the whole cycle releases and then order everything at once. Good thing I have waited long enough for Grey Havens Deluxe to release before I ordered last time, so I can play with Na'asiyah.

i live in NZ, where our distributor often forgets that this game exists.  we're still waiting for Drowned Ruins, so i can relate ;~;

and again, you can call her what you want.  that's not what this is about.  at this point i know full well that you know exactly how to spell her name correctly but choose not to.

but people you spell her name like this and think that's the correct spelling, so here i am to help them out.

Na'asiyah

Edited by dr00

i live in NZ, where our distributor often forgets that this game exists.  we're still waiting for Drowned Ruins, so i can relate ;~;

and again, you can call her what you want.  that's not what this is about.  at this point i know full well that you know exactly how to spell her name correctly but choose not to.

but people you spell her name like this and think that's the correct spelling, so here i am to help them out.

Na'asiyah

Our distributor doesn't even know it exists, it never has it, you can just order it through it.

Also, I don't think anybody is gonna misspell Nyashish at this point, especially when she comes out. By the way, spanish guys, where's da spoilers? :D

John, can't you buy instore at a local hobby/games store avoiding postage altogether? 

Or are you too far from the nearest games/hobby store where you live?

Our stores don't hold such niche (for our country) products in fear they'll never get bought. All you can do is order the stuff you wanna through the store.