Sign in to follow this  
John Constantine

The Corsairs of Umbar

these are some interesting cards.   Vigilant Guard could be very fun on ally Boromir.

Legolas (and some others) have the Silvan and Warrior traits,  so Vigilant Guard on them combined with Silvan Tracker gives you a lot of easy healing.

For me, it's considerably weaker to be called "leadership feint".

You need to have a Noble character waste his action to defend, you can't kill the enemy after you do, and you have to deal with that enemy's threat on the following turn, opposed by single resource in feint's case. Especially when there are almost no Noble allies, so you'll be wasting a hero action in 99% of times. I'd rather just defend the attack and kill the attacker afterwards.

I'll agree that it's weaker than feint, and that if you can successfully defend and kill the enemy that would usually be much better -- further if you can successfully defend, even if you can't counterattack is generally preferable to leave them engage rather than have them contribute to staging.

However, it's obviously useful in the case where you *can't* successfully defend (or don't want to risk the shadow).  Worth deck space?  Certainly not going to be a staple, as Feint is for tactics.  It's a pity that it isn't 0 cost, since having to exhaust a defender and return the non-attacking enemy to staging are already substantial costs, especially the latter.

However, it is useful if you have some reason to want the enemy back in staging, such as a traps deck with an open trap, or enabling Dunhere, or simply because the enemy engaged with the wrong deck.

The noble exhaustion cost is going to best met by a non-attacker who doesn't quest and can't defend without dying, which can describe just about any noble defender that's sufficiently banged up, but otherwise isn't a large set.  The noble allies are expensive and generally don't fit that description, though a 1 wp Denethor or a Faramir not needed in the quest phase might.  Eldahir is the only noble primary defender, and with sentinel could use the card to unengage an enemy from other decks as well.

Another situation where it might come in handy is in combination with Armored Destrier in a quest with nasty shadow effects.  Exhaust to defend, return enemy #1 to staging to avoid his attack, and the destrier discards the shadow for enemy #2 and readies the noble for a shadow-free defense.  This might be particularly useful for Wastes of Eriador, where at night you can't cancel shadows and the enemies are going to return to staging anyway.

Other quests that this might help are with non-immune bosses that attack from staging, since the card won't make them immune from counterattack.  Against the balrog in Shadow & Flame, it really is a second-class feint.  So overall a situational card.

The same is true of the expensive Vigilant Guard.  Great for TaGimli since it doesn't take a restricted spot and powers him up, great for TaBoromir ally's readying or for silvan warriors or Derndingle Warriors who can benefit from automatic healing from other allies, but otherwise this isn't going to push Honour Guard out of any decks.

Na'asiyah

Nyashish :3

Also, regarding the Vigilant Guard, I dunno. It feels to me more like a cost 2 card.

Na'asiyah

btw, this isn't for your benefit, it's for anyone who reads your post and incorrectly believes that you wouldn't do something as silly as proclaim your obsession for a card whose name you can't bother to learn correctly

Na'asiyah

Nyashish :3

Also, regarding the Vigilant Guard, I dunno. It feels to me more like a cost 2 card.

Na'asiyah

btw, this isn't for your benefit, it's for anyone who reads your post and incorrectly believes that you wouldn't do something as silly as proclaim your obsession for a card whose name you can't bother to learn correctly

Nyashish.

Another situation where it might come in handy is in combination with Armored Destrier in a quest with nasty shadow effects.  Exhaust to defend, return enemy #1 to staging to avoid his attack, and the destrier discards the shadow for enemy #2 and readies the noble for a shadow-free defense.

Doesn't the fact that Terrible to Behold cancels the attack mean that Armored Destrier doesn't meet its trigger condition ("After attached hero defends against an attack...")?

Another situation where it might come in handy is in combination with Armored Destrier in a quest with nasty shadow effects.  Exhaust to defend, return enemy #1 to staging to avoid his attack, and the destrier discards the shadow for enemy #2 and readies the noble for a shadow-free defense.

Doesn't the fact that Terrible to Behold cancels the attack mean that Armored Destrier doesn't meet its trigger condition ("After attached hero defends against an attack...")?

Unfortunately, I think you're right.

One thing nice about Terrible to Behold is that it works against unexpected attacks in the Quest phase where Feint does diddly squat.

You're right about Feint not working, but I'm not sure Terrible does either.

"If a card effect uses the word "then," then the preceding effect must resolve successfully for the subsequent dependent effect to resolve."

So if we can't return the enemy to the staging area (because he isn't engaged) can we use the card?

One thing nice about Terrible to Behold is that it works against unexpected attacks in the Quest phase where Feint does diddly squat.

You're right about Feint not working, but I'm not sure Terrible does either.

"If a card effect uses the word "then," then the preceding effect must resolve successfully for the subsequent dependent effect to resolve."

So if we can't return the enemy to the staging area (because he isn't engaged) can we use the card?

I was mainly referring to something like http://hallofbeorn.com/Cards/Details/Followed-by-Night-RtR where enemies could already be engaged with you and making attacks.

I'm not sure if it works against enemies that are are attacking from the staging area, but I would bet no.

Just makes me want City of the Corsairs more and, inexplicably, Outlands Imrahil.

yeah, i'm glad to see new Outlands support is making people give Outlands another chance.

i think when people cried 'it makes the game too easy!' before what they really meant was that it made deckbuilding easy (or rather, that it didn't give a lot of interesting choices and/or streamlined the process by including pretty much all Outlands cards and then deciding if you really wanted Hunter of Lamedon or not)

but this new Imrahil hero and Imrahil attachment are nice.  Tactics or Leadership Imrahil?  if Tactics, what are you going to add?  or maybe even go Spirit with the new Imrahil ally...  it opened up a lot of the deckbuilding space i think, which makes it a bit more engaging.

Nyashish.
Na'asiyah

Both of these cards feel a little too expensive to me. Terrible to Behold might see play in my LeDenethor + Damrod Palantir/Trap deck, but other than that I'm not sure I'll use it very often.

It'd be fun to build a deck around getting down Ally Boromir + Raiment of War + Vigilant Guard. That's 9 resources and and a 3-card combo though, and those really aren't things that Tactics can do on its own.

Removed my long boring rant, here are some new uses I thought of for the two spoiled player cards instead.

Vigilant Guard can be used on offensive heroes/characters with high hitpoints so that they always take the 1st point of damage dealt to your defensive characters. This helps protect against unforeseen deaths from nasty shadow effects boosting enemy attack. It also helps provide protection for allies with 1 hitpoint especially against nasty treachery effects that damage multiple characters. These allies can now be saved from these effects and that single point of damage.

Terrible to Behold is great with trap decks forcing a nasty enemy back into the staging area and straight into a trap like ranger spikes, ithilien pit etc. You can stop an especially nasty enemy from attacking then place it back into the staging area so you can destroy it next turn using Ride them Down. I still think that Terrible to Behold is best used in tandem with Tactigorn or a deck that focuses on staging area attack.

Edited by PsychoRocka