Lazyshisno

My Battle of Hoth Cards, Rules, etc..

Ground Battle Rules and guidelines.

This project was several months in the making. It was also a lot of fun. Some of the information that I used to put this together was borrowed, other parts of it were outright stolen the rest came from my tiny brain. If it was stolen it was because it was a great idea and I thank those who came up with the concepts that worked for me.

Disclaimer.

I am not a professional anything. The images I got directly off of the internet. The cards I made with Strange Eons and regular windows paint.

This is what I decided was needed for the first scenario in the battle of Hoth at the basest level. I have only play tested this scenario twice and the outcome was Imperials 1, Rebels 1, neither victory was decisive and we really enjoyed being able to play an xwing style ground game.

It was fairly expensive to produce. All of the models come from the AMT Battle of Hoth set. I had to buy four of them in order to have enough models for an Epic sized battle. Everything is based on official FFG X-wing miniature bases, I ended up purchasing 15 or so of the clear base and stem packs in addition to using the bases that I already owned.

Rules.

Flying ships move on every turn.

Ground based units move on even turns only.

Everyone shoots and performs actions on every turn.

Flying vehicles attack before ground units on every turn based on pilot skill. Then ground units attack based on pilot skill.

The movement of flying ships on every turn is to add to the illusion that the flying vehicles are so much faster than the ground units.

If all flying vehicles are destroyed (or not even taken initially) it is still important for the movement of ground units to move on even turns only or the turrets are quickly circumvented.

Any ground unit shooting at an air unit adds one evade dice to that attack to simulate the difficulty of shooting at flying vehicles.

Regular range ruler modifiers are in effect +1 attack at range 1, +1 Evade at Range 3

For the purposes of this scenario, it is not necessary to decide your movement with dials and then move as is done in X-wing. Each unit simply moves however the player wishes based on the evolving battle.

Some ground units have armor instead of shields. Armor simply negate the first point of hull damage when an armored unit is hit. Armor is always present and cannot be removed like shields. Units who attack an armored target and roll one “hit” dice do no damage. Units who attack an armored target and roll two “hit” dice do one damage.

Critical hits pierce armor. So a unit who attacks an armored target and rolls one “critical hit” causes one damage.

Critical hits are “exploding”. After a successful critical hit, the attacking player continues to roll one attack dice per critical hit. As long as the attacking player continues to roll critical hits, these attacks stack damage and the attacking player may continue to roll attack dice. (Example) If a player attacking an armored target scores a “critical hit” on the attack dice, the armored target takes one hull damage. The attacking player then attacks again and rolls a “critical hit” on the attack dice. The armored target takes two hull damage. The attacking player then attacks again and rolls a focus. If the attacking player has a focus token, they may change that dice to a “hit”. The armored target takes a total of three hull damage. The attacking player may no longer continue the attack as they did not roll a critical hit.

Critical hits are only exploding on armored targets.

Unit specific rules.

AT-AT

AT-AT may only attack at range 2-3 in arc.

Unstoppable. Any small based unit that is under the base of an AT-AT after it has completed its movement is considered destroyed and removed from play (regardless of Hull or Shields or Armor) (including air vehicles) Thematically these units are considered to have flown into, or been crushed by the AT-AT.

The AT-AT is a 30 point unit, however it begins the scenario with four squads (one platoon) of ground troops +20 points for a total of 50 squad points for one AT-AT.

These ground troops can be deployed during any movement phase and are placed in base to base contact with the AT-AT (probably don’t deploy them directly in front of the AT-AT and then move the AT-AT.) If the AT-AT is destroyed before the ground troops are deployed, the ground troops are also destroyed.

During initial deployment, the AT-AT must be placed at least range two from other AT-AT units.

The AT-AT obstructs ground units line of sight so ground based units may not attack other ground based units if there is an AT-AT in between them. AT-AT does not obstruct line of sight for air to ground or ground to air.

For movement, the AT-AT may choose straight 1, or the soft bank 1 movement templets or may choose to not move at all.

Infantry

Can shoot range 1 – 2 as a turret in any direction.

Can move using the range 1 straight template in any of the 8 possible directions. (place the range one template touching the infantry movement base on any flat side, or each of the four corners) after moving, infantry can face any direction (which is not really relevant because they attack in any direction.)

AT-ST

Can shoot range 1-2 in their 180 degree firing arc.

Can face any direction after any movement.

Can move using any speed 1 movement template as a green move. Can move straight 2 as a white move and can move soft bank 2 as a red move. May also choose a zero move and spin in position.

Can perform a boost action and face any direction after boosting.

(example) the AT-ST can perform a white straight 2 move and turn the model 90 degrees to the right after moving. Then during the action phase, the AT-ST can boost using straight 1 or soft bank 1 template and change direction again.

The AT-ST can boost as an action on odd numbered turns because boosting is considered an action, not a move.

Taun Taun Scout

Can shoot range 1 – 2 as a turret in any direction.

Can move using the range 2 straight template in any of the 8 possible directions. (place the range one template touching the infantry movement base on any flat side, or each of the four corners) after moving, Taun Taun can face any direction (which is not really relevant because they attack in any direction.)

DF.9 Laser Battery

Can shoot range 1 – 3 as a turret in any direction.

Is immobile

Must be placed at least range 1 from other DF.9s during deployment.

1.4 FD P-Tower

Can shoot range 1 – 3 as a turret in any direction.

Is Immobile

Must be placed at least range 2 from other DF.9s during deployment.

During attack phase, when the 1.4 FD is attacking, a focus result on the dice is considered a “hit”

Any “hit” dice attack by a 1.4 FD is considered “armor piercing” against armored units and not subject to regular armored vehicle rules, however, only “critical hits” are considered “exploding” per normal rules.

T-47 Airspeeder

I used the E-Wing dial for movement choices for the airspeeder because it is very versatile.

Using special characters in these scenarios makes the T-47 very overpriced considering they only have 2 hull and they die very quickly.

I have included special character cards for thematic purposes. I suggest when playing, the Rebel team be allowed to choose special characters for no additional cost (all airspeeders cost 14 points regardless of pilot) I have included the natural progression of pilot cost vs pilot skill for reference, but these airspeeders are highly outmatched for their point cost when Imperial or scum air vehicles are introduced. At 14 points they seem to be well costed for the purpose of these scenarios. If you eventually include (tie fighters) for example. I would reduce the cost of the airspeeders by 4 points.

Originally I wanted to use an authentic harpoon and tow cable experience where using the rear arc, an airspeeder could attach a tow cable to an AT-AT at range 1 with a successful hit. The airspeeder would then have to spend subsequent turns actually flying around the AT-AT until it completed 2 successful turns, at which point the AT-AT would be subject to the result of 10 hit dice and resolve them normally, including criticals.

In practice, it is nearly impossible to mechanically fly around the AT-ATs with the AT-AT immediately deploying infantry and the AT-AT continued movement.

There are others who have come up with game mechanics for harpoon and tow cable, but I just have not found one that I really want to embrace yet. Let me know what you come up with.

Scenario:

3x3 play area

Imperials deploy within Range 1 of their starting side.

Rebels deploy at least Range 3 from the Imperials deployment zone.

150 points per team in the 3x3 Scenario.

Imperial

2 x AT-AT with 1 platoon each = 100 points

4x AT-ST = 48 points

Total 148 Points

Rebels

5 x snow speeders = 60 points

4x DF.9 towers = 40 points

6 x Infantry = 30 points

2x 1.4 FD P-towers = 20 points

Total 150 points

Imperial Infantry has Initiative

3x6 play area

Imperial deployment zone is within range 3 of their starting side.

Rebels deploy at least Range 3 from the Imperials deployment zone.

300 Points

Imperial

4x AT-AT with 1 platoon each = 200 points

8x AT-ST = 96 points

Total 296 points

Rebels

12x snow speeders = 168 points

8x DF.9 towers = 80 points

6 x Infantry = 30 points

2x 1.4 FD P-towers = 20 points

Total 298 points

Imperial Infantry has Initiative

In both scenarios a “shield generator” is placed at the end of the rebel deployment zone using a large ship base. This shield generator has a Hull of 4.

These rules are just guidelines. I am certain that they are not all encompassing or perfect. If you find yourself stuck with a rule or if I have not explained something well enough, I am happy to clarify, but in general please feel empowered to make things up as you go as they make sense to you and the folks you are playing with. 

Please leave a comment and tell me what you think !  also..  for every mean thing you have to say three nice things :-)

Edited by Lazyshisno

I'm not totally sold on some of the cards, but the base differentiation mechanics look great!

Should AT-ATs be Armor 2? Snowspeeders shouldn't exactly be able to damage them without lucky crits (though Hull 12/Armor 2 would be mildly obscene I guess).

8x Snowtrooper+HLC seems like it would be a barrel of laughs.

It's not really possible without a bunch of photoshopping, but I feel like Ground units should have something like the Epic range-box for primary weapon, rather than listing a bunch of special rules.

Unstoppable for the AT-AT is kind of weird, because flying vehicles should just be able to climb over it, but trying to adjust the bases is physically tricky. What if flying vehicles adjusted like a normal bump but kept their action, and Ground units got deleted?

I feel like the Rebel emplacements ought to not have a 'pilot name' at all, just a type. Type+name for different statlines makes sense for ground troops since I guess you want to be able to typecast them for upgrades.

Originally I wanted to use an authentic harpoon and tow cable experience where using the rear arc, an airspeeder could attach a tow cable to an AT-AT at range 1 with a successful hit. The airspeeder would then have to spend subsequent turns actually flying around the AT-AT until it completed 2 successful turns, at which point the AT-AT would be subject to the result of 10 hit dice and resolve them normally, including criticals.

I was thinking that maybe for 3 rounds, the air speeder must be within range 1 of the walker. Maybe something like this

At the end phase, every air speeder within range 1 of an AT-AT may choose to each acquire a tracking token, to a maximum of three. When an airspeeder executes a maneuver that is not within range 1 of an AT-AT, it must discard all tracking tokens.

At the beginning of the activation phase, while an air speeder has 3 tracking tokens, it may choose an AT-AT at range 1. That AT-AT is immediately destroyed.

Just my take on it, it's simple, yet efficient.

Nice work though, I'm going to playtest it now!:)

Also, I was hoping to see another imperial unit; the E-web.

The E-web is a stationary turret that can deal a lot of damage. I think it would add some spice to the imperials, considering all they have are AT-ATs, AT-STs, and snow troopers.

Instead of destroying the AT-AT and being AT-AT specific, what if Tow Cable reduced "Agility or Armor value" by 1? Makes it easy to shoot the AT-AT necks, and can be a pseudo-tractor beam on flying ships (I assume it'd be short-range)

The E-web is a stationary turret that can deal a lot of damage. I think it would add some spice to the imperials, considering all they have are AT-ATs, AT-STs, and snow troopers.

Baby steps :-)

feel free to make the E-web card. I would love to see it. like I said..  this is super basic..  doing add ons for heavy weapons for infantry seems likely..  what I can say is it was a lot of fun as is..  and battles were taking about 4 hours without complex gaming mechanics or having to remember a bunch of special abilities.

Instead of destroying the AT-AT and being AT-AT specific, what if Tow Cable reduced "Agility or Armor value" by 1? Makes it easy to shoot the AT-AT necks, and can be a pseudo-tractor beam on flying ships (I assume it'd be short-range)

Yes, instantly destroying would be rather powerful. Perhaps you could spend all 3 tracking tokens to assign it four ion tokens (it can't move for two turns because it is caught in the tow cable), and while an AT-AT is ionized, it looses the armor ability. Then, all of the other ships would attack it while it's vulnerable, and hopefully destroy it.

Ionization removing armour is kinda weird thematically - I do agree that there should also be a way to modify the movement (Maybe copy the 'don't assign a dial' part of Ion tokens, but not the 'perform a 1-straight' bit).

e: I was mildly skeptic about the inverted base inserts (and the firing arcs colors could probably be flipped), but that would look perfect with a snowfield table!

Edited by AugustineS

Baby steps :-)

feel free to make the E-web card. I would love to see it. like I said..  this is super basic..  doing add ons for heavy weapons for infantry seems likely..  what I can say is it was a lot of fun as is..  and battles were taking about 4 hours without complex gaming mechanics or having to remember a bunch of special abilities.

Well, you can count me on it!:D

E-web unit:

E-web engineer

PS 4, 8 points

0 attack, 0 evade, 3 hull,

Sentry mode (title, 0 points, dual sided, side A)

Your attack value increases by 3. Your agility value decreases by 1.

You cannot move.

You may attack.

Action: flip this card.

Mobile mode (side B)

Your attack value decreases by 3. Your agility value increases by 1.

You may move.

You cannot attack.

Action: flip this card.

I'm not totally sold on some of the cards, but the base differentiation mechanics look great!

Should AT-ATs be Armor 2? Snowspeeders shouldn't exactly be able to damage them without lucky crits (though Hull 12/Armor 2 would be mildly obscene I guess).

8x Snowtrooper+HLC seems like it would be a barrel of laughs.

It's not really possible without a bunch of photoshopping, but I feel like Ground units should have something like the Epic range-box for primary weapon, rather than listing a bunch of special rules.

Unstoppable for the AT-AT is kind of weird, because flying vehicles should just be able to climb over it, but trying to adjust the bases is physically tricky. What if flying vehicles adjusted like a normal bump but kept their action, and Ground units got deleted?

I feel like the Rebel emplacements ought to not have a 'pilot name' at all, just a type. Type+name for different statlines makes sense for ground troops since I guess you want to be able to typecast them for upgrades.

AT-ATs with armor value of 2 are invincible. its just not fun.

Unstoppable is hilarious and really makes you think about how you are flying your ships. also, since the AT-AT does not have a range 1 attack, it is necessary in order to not have someone parking a unit in front of the AT-AT and then it cannot move.  (Feel free to adjust rules as you see fit)

Ionization removing armour is kinda weird thematically - I do agree that there should also be a way to modify the movement (Maybe copy the 'don't assign a dial' part of Ion tokens, but not the 'perform a 1-straight' bit).

e: I was mildly skeptic about the inverted base inserts (and the firing arcs colors could probably be flipped), but that would look perfect with a snowfield table!

Oh I totally forgot that you move 1 forward with ion! Oops!

Not assigning a dial would be simpler, and maybe just assign the AT-AT two tracking tokens would be better. An AT-AT with a tracking token loses its armor ability, and removes one at the end of the end phase.

Edited by bcons

the intention is for the game to eventually be played on a snowfield which is the reason for the base colors..  if only Gripmat would make a 3x6 snowfield..  

29796574875_d19ba5366d.jpg29796572985_2f74a5cf25.jpg29796570965_26d4b961b6.jpg

This is what it looks like on my gaming table (set up for space, not snow..)  the models still need to be painted, and I still need to mount the infantry bases..  but this will give you an idea of deployment.

Where did you get all the mini's?