EastCoast

A step above scum!

Droid still needs a good two-dot card and probably another good card or two beyond that. And frankly, we need more droid figures in the game. I wouldn't be opposed to some new/better Smuggler cards, since all of the ones we have now are very, very situational. Hopefully there'll be some this wave between the box set and Jabba's pack.

Imps / Scum don't need more droids... Technical Support would be kind of bonkers with a bunch of Probe Droids, HKs, and some other droids running around.

I'm talking about command cards, which they do need more of, they've only got 4 if you don't count Gen. Sorin (which is too constraining to use) Repair has marginal use as the HK don't have enough health and the Probes have Recover, and it requires an action. Hunter protocol only effects one droid (instead of a deployment card's worth) and Devotion is really only useful if you don't have anything better to do (which is why C3PO uses it and no one else)

The rest of these guys are having a Campaign discussion (I think) in the middle of our discussion of Command card insufficiencies.

How can that not rate as one of the best 1 xp abilities???

I think I've been pretty clear, but hey, lets beat a dead horse because you really want to dive into this trap.

Exactly how many shots do your heroes normally take that end up hitting but doing 0 damage that this card would be good for?

I could probably count on 1 hand across an entire campaign and all 4 heroes how often this happens.

So how often will this card be useful?  Rarely if ever.  When it is useful, it barely helps by doing 1 damage.  This is text book bad card.

To make this card even worse, his BEST card, which you are almost guaranteed to take, makes the situation that this card works on, almost never happen.

The only time I'd even CONSIDER this card is if the Imperials have a cloaking device so there are lots of white dice out there, or if they're running Subversive Tactics and have both evade cards and I really need to stick a weaken on bosses.  But even then it's still not a good card, just a card I'd take with my last 1 XP before the final mission.

How can that not rate as one of the best 1 xp abilities???

I think I've been pretty clear, but hey, lets beat a dead horse because you really want to dive into this trap.

Exactly how many shots do your heroes normally take that end up hitting but doing 0 damage that this card would be good for?

I could probably count on 1 hand across an entire campaign and all 4 heroes how often this happens.

So how often will this card be useful?  Rarely if ever.  When it is useful, it barely helps by doing 1 damage.  This is text book bad card.

To make this card even worse, his BEST card, which you are almost guaranteed to take, makes the situation that this card works on, almost never happen.

The only time I'd even CONSIDER this card is if the Imperials have a cloaking device so there are lots of white dice out there, or if they're running Subversive Tactics and have both evade cards and I really need to stick a weaken on bosses.  But even then it's still not a good card, just a card I'd take with my last 1 XP before the final mission.

You must roll a lot better than I do.  Jyn's starting gun is a green green with a surge for +1.  With no other abilities, she has a 50% chance of hitting 4 damage (including the surge), 36% chance of hitting 3 damage, 11% chance of 2 damage, and a 2.7% chance of doing only 1 damage.  Now, a black dice stormtrooper has a 16% chance of rolling 3 blocks, a 33% chance of rolling 2, and a 41% chance of rolling 1 block (as jyn has a 50% chance that one of her damage was from a surge).  So a stormtrooper has a 13.6% chance of blocking all damage from Jyn.  

A white dice officer has a 16.6% chance of rolling a dodge.  With Cower that goes to 30.5%.  With and without cower there is a 16.7% and 25% chance of blocking 2 damage, and a 58.3% and 73% chance of blocking 1 damage.  That translates to a cowering officer blocking all of Jyn's damage about 36% of the time.  

So, obviously picking targets is important, but that's still an awful lot of times that early campaign Jyn would roll a big fat zero on an attack.  Now consider that Vrinto is likely to start with a blue green dice rather than green green (judging from his skirmish card, which thus far has been the same as the heroes' starting equipment), and that percentage climbs further.  Now consider shooting with that gun against Vader or the RGC, factor in the threat of nearby Royal Guards to add a defense result, IG-88 or Boba with inherent defense or evades, and and tell me that you hardly ever roll a goose egg.  My math could be off, but I don't think so.  And again, this doesn't only do one damage, because of boltslinger it is very likely to do 2 total damage when you add in the free damage to the nearby figure. 

When you argue about his best card being very good (which it is) you seem to think that it will do away with dodges.  It doesn't, it just allows you to reroll - including whatever great attack you just rolled.  And you still have to get through several missions to get that ability.  

Edited by tomkat364

My hope is that these new heroes have 2 good 4xp skills. Too many heroes seem to have only one worth while option at that level. Or worse: be like Biv and have no good options at that level (I mean, come on, one requires you have no strain at the start of your C&P, and the other is once per mission, but still injures you and leaves you stunned. Yeah they would have been OP without those restrictions, but they are 4xp skills...they should be! It's Not like the rest of his skills are super impressive)

Edited by lowercaseM

My hope is that these new heroes have 2 good 4xp skills. Too many heroes seem to have only one worth while option at that level. Or worse: be like Biv and have no good options at that level (I mean, come on, one requires you have no strain at the start of your C&P, and the other is once per mission, but still injures you and leaves you stunned. Yeah they would have been OP without those restrictions, but they are 4xp skills...they should be! It's Not like the rest of his skills are super impressive)

Well so far we've seen two good ones and no bad ones.

You don't need to be at 0 strain for Stay Down.  If the target survived that means you got in both the melee and ranged attacks, which means two opportunities to remove strain with a surge.  However you're right, the problem with the card is you'll almost never get to use it, but it's not because of strain, it's because almost nothing survives Close and Personal.

Final Stand is awesome.  You get a move, a rest and an attack for the cost of an action, stun and 2 wounds.  Taking effectively 4 actions in 1 round is one of the better 4 XP cards.

For the 4 pointers we've seen, Don't Make Me Hurt You is pretty decent and Rapid Fire is great.  The 1, 2 and 3 pointers though are a real mixed bag.  Some of them are obviously very situational.  I'm surprised we aren't seeing hide show up more.  That's a good thing, but I'm surprised.

Edited by Union

Final Stand is awesome.  You get a move, a rest and an attack for the cost of an action, stun and 2 wounds.  Taking effectively 4 actions in 1 round is one of the better 4 XP cards.

Also, with Shake it Off (and perhaps Survival Gear), Biv has a decent chance of removing the stun again

Half way through a Jabba's Realmy Campaign

Using all the new hero's plus Biv. I've seen all character's play a campaign except for Davith and the Hoth characters so I've got a good idea where they stand here's a word on each.

Shyla - her ability to move people behind her has been the bane of high cost imp figures. She whips them behind her and all of a sudden everyone else can double shoot the target until it is dead. I'm often forced to use units later than I'd have wanted in fear of that happening. 

Vinto - probably has the highest kill count I've ever seen. Sure those kills are mostly steals but who cares it's co-op. He's often last to activate to give the others max time to leave things on 1 hp. I forget the card names but the shot on the run is very good. The offhand blaster is better than it looks when considering boltslinger. Grey trooper dies just because he moved near then and a shot something else. His movement also helps make him a pain with objectives.

Onar - a bit of amoney enigma. He's had a rough time with being targeted and his dice pool leads to swingy results. Often he seems to deal no damage but then other times he's a killer, red dice are like that I suppose the more you have the worse that is. He has the two red with built in accuracy gun now and that seems to have made it worse and better and the same time. Works well with Vinto for guaranteed damage stacks from abilities too.

I'm also playing as Hutt Mercenaries. Now I kinda hated it for a while. I had to KO some charavters to help me win a mission so then I felt I needed to KO the others. Meaning the players were picked on one at a time often being out of the mission very quickly, just so I could give the bounty tokens back. Perhaps spending influence to put them back would be cool.... anyway, It may have been good reducing their numbers but it felt kinda anti-fun. I've found it powerful but if you have to KO people then it ends up as a pain. I think I'd prefer Nemesis just because it looks more fun. But then I've seen what this lot does to villains so maybe a false start....

Thanks for reading! 

I have to say, I chuckled at the people who said the core set heroes were bad.  In my games (I'm almost always stuck as the Imperial player) we have a gentlemen's agreement.  The Rebels can pick one of Fenn, Mak or Gideon, and I can't choose Subversive Tactics.  Seriously, those three are still the best characters in the game.  Verena (Ms. Talos if ya nasty) comboed with Diala can be rough as well, but nothing like Fenn/Gideon and their "f**k that whole part of the map in particular".