Sign in to follow this  
EvilEd209

NOVA Squadron Radio – Episode 56: GenCon and Nationals Review

Okay guys, I owe you all an apology.  Between my vacation, kids getting back to school, the job search and some personal stuff, I have really dropped the ball on releases.  We have two shows now out, this one and the OutRyder Cup 4 show that are now available, with one more in the editing phase.  

I believe we will be all caught back up here soon and back to our normal schedule.

-Ed

NOVA Squadron Radio – Episode 56: GenCon and Nationals Review
Welcome to NOVA Squadron Radio!  This week cover over all of the craziness that was GenCon and Nationals!  We cover over the rest of the reveals from Wave 9, and of course cover the new Wave 10!  We then have an interesting discussion on the need for floor rules at official FFG events.  All of that and a lot more!

NOVA Squadron Radio is:
Ed Horne – Host
Chad Brown – Co-Host
Sean Dorcy – Co-host

Bob Randall – Co-host
Kris Sherriff – Co-host
Richard Hsu – Co-host
Paul Heaver – Co-Host
Chris ‘Cryodex’ Brown – Special Guest

Here are the show notes from Episode 56: 

[0:00 – 1:56] Show Opening

[1:56 –35:34] Flight Deck 
[
35:34– 1:55:36] News:
    The NOVA Open!  http://www.novaopen.com/ September 1st - 4th, 2016 at the Hyatt Regency in Arlington, VA.
The Vassal X-Wing League - https://www.reddit.com/r/xwingonline/comments/4a13il/new_player_signups_for_the_xwing_vassal_league/
Social Meeples: http://clearbox.socialmeeples.net/home
Full of Surprises: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/1/full-of-surprises/
I’ll Show You the Dark Side: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/5/ill-show-you-the-dark-side/

[1:55:36– 2:41:34] Main Topic: Discussion About Nationals and the Results!
[2:41:34– 2:45:09] Show Closing

Musical Credits go out to the band ‘Insane Ride’ and their songs ‘Sound of Rock and Roll’ and ‘Wrong or Right’ found on the Free Music Archive at http://freemusicarchive.org/ 

Audio Editing & Mixing by Podcast Masters
www.podcastmasters.net

Thanks for listening, and talk to you again in two weeks!

Here is the direct link: http://novasquadronradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/NOVA_Squadron_Radio_Episode_56.mp3

www.novasquadronradio.com

Great episode! Got up to the Nationals review. Excited to see what Paul's card is in wave 10!

With BMST's coming out, do you think we will see more Defenders in PalpAces? Solid chassis that, for the most-part, don't rely on getting stressed every turn. Even Ryad, who is the PTL user of Defenders, doesn't have to use PTL every turn to be solid. She loses a lot of offense, but none of her defense.

If you still need it, Jaime Kroek's list was something like:

Palpshuttle

Ryad, Juke

Carnor Jax, PTL, Hull Upgrade, Autothrusters

I played him on Friday, and he talked about it on an episode of RadioTCX a few weeks ago.

This is correct, leaving him a 3 point bid.

How did everyone feel about our floor rules discussion? Were you interested enough to send OP an e-mail? :)

This is something that 100% needs to happen. Right now as players our only recourse for resolving people who consistently repeatedly cheat is to publicly name them. That's an ugly process and it's not fun for anyone. People can get away cheating over and over again because in x wing most players, thanks to a generally good community, sometimes struggle to even recognize that it's happening, or coming from a place other than incidental ignorance.

Not only that but having clearer guidelines will help newer TOs that are growing thier community. I helped run events at a small store in my area, i probably spent 3 hours talking to a friend of mine that TOs at larger events, and the conversation was almost entirely about how to handle situations that floor rules would cover.

If we don't have a hashtag yet i nominate #FloorRulesTheWorlds2016. :P

Edited by catachanninja

How did everyone feel about our floor rules discussion? Were you interested enough to send OP an e-mail? :)

I don't like the dial causing a game loss, I think it should be something like an MOV penalty of -100 points. I first thought about something like every ship of yours lose all action tokens and gain 1 stress, but that can hurt some lists more than others. I don't like the game loss because if someone I was playing accidentally did that and I knew accidentally did that there would be no way to recover from that and I wouldn't want to report it. Having MOV punished would give them a harsh enough punishment so the cheaters won't do that, but still allows the people who accidentally did it a chance to recover from it. Now Top Cut games there would need to be a different rule though.

Edited by Tbetts94

I don't like the dial causing a game loss, I think it should be something like an MOV penalty of -100 points. I first thought about something like every ship of yours lose all action tokens and gain 1 stress, but that can hurt some lists more than others. I don't like the game loss because if someone I was playing accidentally did that and I knew accidentally did that there would be no way to recover from that and I wouldn't want to report it. Having MOV punished would give them a harsh enough punishment so the cheaters won't do that, but still allows the people who accidentally did it a chance to recover from it. Now Top Cut games there would need to be a different rule though.

A lot of people are looking at this from the perspective of how harsh it is on someone who does it on accident. I completely understand that, but it also needs to be looked at from the other angle. For someone who did this on purpose, it needs to be harsh enough to make the risk outweigh the reward. Some people suggest warnings. As the parent of two young children, I've come to know that warnings translate to "how many times can I get away with this before it's a real punishment" and that's not good. It's a double edged sword. For example, I would gladly give up 100 MOV for a match win. Watch any major sporting event, a rules infraction can cost you the game. Now, it's not often "you lose the whole game right now" but each rule has a resulting penalty and they also have blanket rules/penalties to handle everything else. X-Wing would greatly benefit from something like that. Like, in my opinion, any dial infraction should result in the loss of any ability that information would have affected. Look at a dial while setting yours? Your opponent sets your dial. Look at it during movement? You get no actions since your action choice could be affected by that information. Crippling at the end of the game, but harsh enough any other time as well.

A lot of people are looking at this from the perspective of how harsh it is on someone who does it on accident. I completely understand that, but it also needs to be looked at from the other angle. For someone who did this on purpose, it needs to be harsh enough to make the risk outweigh the reward. Some people suggest warnings. As the parent of two young children, I've come to know that warnings translate to "how many times can I get away with this before it's a real punishment" and that's not good. It's a double edged sword. For example, I would gladly give up 100 MOV for a match win. Watch any major sporting event, a rules infraction can cost you the game. Now, it's not often "you lose the whole game right now" but each rule has a resulting penalty and they also have blanket rules/penalties to handle everything else. X-Wing would greatly benefit from something like that. Like, in my opinion, any dial infraction should result in the loss of any ability that information would have affected. Look at a dial while setting yours? Your opponent sets your dial. Look at it during movement? You get no actions since your action choice could be affected by that information. Crippling at the end of the game, but harsh enough any other time as well.

I like the opponent setting dial solution. Similar to when you execute a red maneuver while stressed. If an opponent reveals your dial, then you may change your opponents dial on any ship within range 3 of your ship.

Just had a chance to listen to the episode.  A few quick comments:

1.  I really like Chris Brown as a guest.  

2.  I like the idea of the floor rules concept, but it might be some time until it's actually codified and official by FFG.  My understanding is that they need to get approval for news articles/FAQ updates and the like from Disney/Lucasfilm, which is a long time coming and part of the reason why an FAQ usually drops significantly later than a Wave release.  Perhaps it would be worthwhile to attempt to start this as community project first?  A lot of the major TOs network and communicate with each other to the point where it would be spread wide enough to cover a decent chunk of the X-Wing playing community.

3.  Bob's rant about how he didn't get granted a spot at World's next year felt a bit weird.  He specifically said that he was playing X-Wing at the time rather than attempting to register for World's this year.  It definitely seems a bit ungrateful seeing as how they went above and beyond to make the situation "right" by sending him a World's card from this year.

Edited by mightyspacepope

3.  Bob's rant about how he didn't get granted a spot at World's next year felt a bit weird.  He specifically said that he was playing X-Wing at the time rather than attempting to register for World's this year.  It definitely seems a bit ungrateful seeing as how they went above and beyond to make the situation "right" by sending him a World's card from this year.

It was not intended as a rant or an axe to grind, I was just relaying my experiences and the process with customer service. Some people make purchase decisions in part on the reputation of the company's customer service, and some of the other podcasts have been justifiably bashing FFG over the Worlds Registration issues. My experiences were from a slightly different perspective, so hopefully hearing this "unfiltered" story and how FFG/Asmodee responded is of value to our listeners.

Bear in mind that FFG/Asmodee handing out additional Worlds 2016 tickets, and Worlds 2017 pre-registrations, was 100% on the honor system. You did not need to attempt to register to get tickets, you just needed to claim that you attempted to register. They were DDOS'ed so there's no way they would have been able to tell the difference. If you filled out the form and claimed to have registration issues then you were, at a minimum, guaranteed a spot at 2017 Worlds. I filled out the form, provided feedback, and went out of my way to point out that I didn't attempt to register. Ironically by being honest I may have given up my only opportunity to go to either Worlds 2016 or 2017.

As I said in the podcast, my initial issue was their near-total lack of any explanation, but their second reply was much more in depth and well thought out -- although it would have been nice if they answered my question if I was the only person who filled out a feedback form and did not attempt to register. So my overall customer service experience went from "meh" after their first response, to "pretty good" after the second. I certainly didn't intend to come across as being ungrateful, I thanked them privately, and I acknowledged on the podcast that they were certainly under no obligation to provide me with a Worlds 2016 card, which was cool.

Again, FFG/Asmodee's response is neither all good nor all bad, but hopefully the whole story is informative for our listeners.

Edited by MajorJuggler

As far as the looking at dials topic. We should start placing the dials on the cards, this will remove the accidently looking at the wrong dial aspect. This harsh punishment for people that do it accidently is rediculous. I thought part of what makes this game different is that it is inclusive of everyone, if that is the case people are going to make mistakes even at premier events.

Be excellent!