Sign in to follow this  
Bivistheman

Question about tier upgrades

Just lost a campaign pretty much because I have too many expansions and never drew a ranged weapon during the rebel upgrade stage. With all the new expansions out and figure packs starting to come out with tier upgrades can you choose your tier upgrade decks like imperial chooses agendas? Core comes with 12 each. Sounds like a good number to me. Thoughts?

Just lost a campaign pretty much because I have too many expansions and never drew a ranged weapon during the rebel upgrade stage. With all the new expansions out and figure packs starting to come out with tier upgrades can you choose your tier upgrade decks like imperial chooses agendas? Core comes with 12 each. Sounds like a good number to me. Thoughts?

Are you playing correctly?  From your description it sounds like you are drawing 6 from the entire upgrade card selection.  If that is true no wonder your having such a hard time!  You are supposed to separate the cards into 3 decks based on tiers and the campaign tells you which deck to draw from. 

Also Jyn Odan lets you draw a 7th upgrade card with one of her abilities and if you are playing Hoth there is a boon that lets you search the deck for an upgrade card you can put in the store.

You can scale the number of cards you draw from the item deck depending on the size. In the core you draw 6 our of 12. If you add more cards, you increase the number. 10 out of 20 for Tier I and Tier II, 11 out of 21 for Tier III.

This is an elegant solution, and I wouldn't be surprised to see this become the official way of handling the increased size of the item decks.

You can scale the number of cards you draw from the item deck depending on the size. In the core you draw 6 our of 12. If you add more cards, you increase the number. 10 out of 20 for Tier I and Tier II, 11 out of 21 for Tier III.

I wish my group had seen this suggestion before our current campaign. Granted, we have not struggled with our item pulls, but it definitely feels like this is a good solution to address how the decks are ballooning in size

Thank you for the input everyone. I personally would like to see the developers just let you pick 12 cards for each tier and keep it at 6. I personally believe that if your playing the campaign the way it's meant to be played (aka having multiple people run rebel characters) the success or failure of each side depends 100 percent on how skilled the imperial player is. Which if your playing against the caliber of player that I play against it just makes it almost impossible to win the campaign. My point is, any advantage that can be given the rebel side (I believe being able to choose your 12 tier upgrades for each deck would be huge) would only serve to enhance and even out the playing experience.

Edited by Bivistheman

In order to combat deck dillution, I have removed the bad cards that you would never purchase. Cards like Vibroknife, Tatooine Hunting rifle, Overcharger, Telescoping sights, the cards that buff a specific attribute test, etc. I can get a full list of cards I removed later later.

This prevents the dud cards from appearing and increases the chance of cards you do need of appearing.

Deck dillution is most prevalent in the tier 1 deck as it has the most dud cards yet also has cards in which you will be hurt all campaign long if they never appear.

Cards like Vibroknife, Tatooine Hunting rifle, Overcharger, Telescoping sights...

Overcharger? Man, I swear that upgrade won us a couple missions before. Especially when you have to kill a specific target.

Plus it gives the IP something extra to think about it.

I semi-agree with the other choices, but I'm one of those gamers that likes to think that all upgrades have their purpose.

... Except Telescoping sights  :lol:

Sorry for the silly question but why 11 out of 21?

Core has 12 Tier III cards, Twin shadows 2, Hoth 3, Bespin 2. (Total =19)

Are there any more cards?  Where can I found them?

Thank you!

BoardWars did an interview with the developers and they recognized that this is becoming an issue. They didn't give specifics but it did sound like something they were looking at.

Was there "solution" to make the Bespin class deck with it's attachment that renders any melee weapon without a good range die a dead draw?  Because it is ridiculous.

BoardWars did an interview with the developers and they recognized that this is becoming an issue. They didn't give specifics but it did sound like something they were looking at.

Was there "solution" to make the Bespin class deck with it's attachment that renders any melee weapon without a good range die a dead draw?  Because it is ridiculous.

Its an attachment on one deployment card, that does not make melee weapons bad overall, and its one class deck out of many.   Its called variation, spice up the game somewhat each time by switching around variables and make you think of different solutions each time.

Its an attachment on one deployment card, that does not make melee weapons bad overall, and its one class deck out of many.   Its called variation, spice up the game somewhat each time by switching around variables and make you think of different solutions each time.

It's an attachment that makes one squad basically immune to quite a few melee weapons in the game, causing several cards to be dead draws.  Worse it very heavily impacts certain things, like Biv's Close and Personal, to be ineffective.

It makes the problem that this thread is about an EVEN WORSE one.  If making a problem even worse is your idea of "spicing up" the game, well, you're doing it wrong.  Similarly what solution do you propose to having your damage dealer's main damage ability be completely shut down?  Oh right, there isn't one.  Melee weapons WERE NOT DESIGNED TO USE RANGE.  So you have light sabers not able to hit while a vibrosword can, it's ridiculous.  https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1598630/imperial-black-ops-qualms Seems like this stupidity is ruining people's campaigns.

As I said, its one group. Focus your ranged guys on them, or a Jedi with Ancient Lightsaber, or Diala with her throw, or all sorts of other possibilities. If your melee guy can't roll accuracy, have them attack somebody else. In most cases killing guys isn't an objective.

And again, this is one class, it doesn't apply to all classes. Each class does something to really annoy the Rebels, that's kinda the point, and what I mean with spice.

Edited by neosmagus

In order to combat deck dillution, I have removed the bad cards that you would never purchase. Cards like Vibroknife, Tatooine Hunting rifle, Overcharger, Telescoping sights, the cards that buff a specific attribute test, etc.

I started doing this for a Twin Shadows campaign I am about to run but then I realized they get 10 cards to draw at the beginning.  So I drew 10 cards and only 1 was a bad one, so I left it.  I'll have to see how the draw goes after the first mission.

I'm with you neosmagus. Honestly they provided an answer for the deck: the vibro sword. That aside, I do think it is interesting. It forces you to do something different and actually think about how you're going to work around it. If the rebels can't change tactics enough to handle a single group that negates a single heroes attack, then maybe that inflexibility is why they are losing, not the class card.

If the target is Hidden with with Stealth, Hidden applies -2 accuracy, so melee attacks require 3 Accuracy.

But it's the same thing as feeling pain if you poke your eye. Don't do it. Use ranged attacks against the group with Stealth, use your melee attacks against other groups.

I wish Jabba's Realm is shipping as soon as possible so we can move to a new pet hate of his. :D