Sign in to follow this  
saturnflight

Questions You Should Ask Yourself Every Time You Build a Squad

I'm hoping to develop some guidelines for myself when building squads. As is, I tend to get caught up in whatever shiny combo catches my eye. I've been making efforts lately to stick to the basics, and that's been helpful, but with so many exciting new additions I want to branch out again.

"If a single ship goes down, is this going to hold up."

First question I ask. Yes, some lists require that synergy to be effective, but the more ships that can work without a crutch the better.

I imagine this question is the reason why Palp Aces and Pocket Aces lists are so popular. Pilots like Soontir Fel, Darth Vader, and the Inquisitor can function very well on their own and don't need the same type of synergy that other pilots across all factions do. Blow up one ace and the rest will still work just fine.

Edited by Derpzilla88

First question is what do you want to accomplish? Do you want to take a ship/pilot/combo and put it into the best possible context? Do you just want to build the strongest squad you can?

Then think about where your list will fall in the rough archetypes of X-Wing. Are you already familiar with the archetype in question (important when you build a list on short notice)?

Then look at similar lists online and ask yourself "Why am I doing this differently, is it better or worse in which situations?"

And finally predict your meta and make your choice. If you aren't confident in predicting the meta rather go for the list that is generaly strong.

Look at the archetypes out there and does the list have a plan for it.  Soontir, whisper, and the inquisitor being hyper manueverable and tokened up with evades, do you have an answer?  dual large ship scum lists mainly featuring Dengar and Manaroo that are getting multiple actions a turn? Any form of rebel regen featuring Corran, Luke, or Poe?  Swarm lists/alpha strike lists.  such as Crack Black Squadron or A-wings or triple U-boats.  Will the list be good against all of them?  No,  but build your list So you feel confident in how you have to fly against it.  

Edited by thestggrwng

If a PS 9 or PS 8 ace passes initiative to me, do I have a realistic means to engaging them? 

- This is most relevant to pilots such as Soontir, Jake Farrel, or the Inquisitor, who have multiple repositioning actions.

- If no, you may need to reevaluate your build or play style.

Will losing initiative put me at a significant disadvantage? 

- If you're flying a TIE Phantom, you should always ask yourself this question. 

- If yes, you may need to build some initiative bid into your list.

Can I deal with the extremes of each stat in the game (attack 4, agility 4, hull+shields greater than 12)?

- You may be able to shoot through agility 3 just fine, or dodge 3 hits just fine, but what if your opponent call roll 5 dice?

- If no, what can I change in order to survive such extremes.

If any of these ships are my last ship remaining can I still win?

This one shouldn't necessarily stop you from building something but it should adjust how you fly it. For instance when flying palp aces I want anything but the lambda to be my last ship left alive, and prioritize accordingly.

Honestly, this is pretty much the only question I ask myself when building a list-

"If my opponent brings a net list, will I still enjoy the game with this list?"

The reason I ask this is because if it my opponent doesn't bring a net list, I'm going to have fun no matter what because I'm playing something I put together against something someone else put together. But, if they DO bring a net list, there is a good chance if I am trying something new, different or gimmicky, it is just going to get crushed in to oblivion and there will be little enjoyment for me. So, I usually try to put in a couple of pieces in to the list to deal with popular net lists to assure in the worst case scenario I still have some components in the list to deal with them.

My first question I ask is always, "Do I know exactly why I chose this upgrade/pilot?"  

I find over-upgrading with no reason is a big issue.  

My second question is, "What will I do against..." and I make a plan (tournament play) for the 'big' lists of the day.  Right now, Dengaroo, scout/bus, palp aces, defenders.  

I'm hoping to develop some guidelines for myself when building squads. As is, I tend to get caught up in whatever shiny combo catches my eye. I've been making efforts lately to stick to the basics, and that's been helpful, but with so many exciting new additions I want to branch out again.

The Questions depend on the format.  Casual or Competitive.

For Casual I ask my self one question: Am I going to enjoy this?

For Competitive it gets more complicated:

1. Looking at this hypothetical list (lets call it Steve); What is Steve trying to do?  Joust or Dodge?  Gork or Mork?  If Steve is too confused about what he is trying to do then I probably need to make some major changes.

2. Does Steve have any glaring weaknesses?  Follow up: Can I fix those weaknesses with upgrades or can I live with them?

3. How does Steve look on paper versus meta lists?  Is Palp Aces going to wreck him?  Are Jumpmasters going to purple-nurple him?  Will double VCX give Steve horrible 4 dice wedgies?  Can I shore up Steve with some minor tweaks in upgrades and come up with a viable plan to deal with these issues?

4.  Am I trying too hard to make Steve look good when Bobby has been here all along doing the same thing.  Is there a change in the local meta that makes Steve better than Bobby? 

Edited by Burius1981

"would I be happy to see this list fielded by my opponent?"

If I would be happy to fight against it then it's clearly pretty weak or has huge weaknesses.

Often I get caught up in cool plans, it's supper helpful to try and look at my list from the opponent's perspective.

Second thing I ask (with scum)... "How can I get more m3a's in this list"

Nice topic as I'm brand new to Xwing. Have dropped about 200+ dollars on it so far.

I've been lurking on the forums for about a week, watch some covenant videos trying to get a feel for this game.

This thread has already been helpful.

I don't know what faction (if any) I'm gonna lean to more yet. But basics are universal.

Forgot question number 4

If green dice inveitably suck, will i or wont i spontaneously combust?

Actually incredibly relevent when deciding your late game (ala rebel regen) and also probably why palp aces exist

And green dice aside, the secret to any good squad is ensuring dice in general and from either player dont **** you over

Edited by ficklegreendice

Dont know if its been said, i consider how each ship will fly in relation to the others as i have found that if i fly a ship into positions that isolate it from the rest of the squad it is either shot down quickly or it has trouble contributing. I also look at the action economy and what action(s) the ship wants to take. Also consider the order in which you are going to fire in the combat phase.