talismanisland

The Lost Realms - A Fan Expansion

But I'm the evil stepmother. I take all credit for all of it. Mwahahaha

(Though, really, my youngest, our 17yr old boy, killed off six (I think) characters in an attempt to go straight to the Eagle King and get the Arnkell before doing anything else. One-track mind, that guy. So getting tripped up on any card is sort of par-for-the-course. Our daughter, the 19yr old, has an obsession with the pets deck. I guess we all have our quirks...)

Edited by ElfPuddle

This looks fabulous. We're doing a big campaign game on Dec 30 (our last game of the year), and I am so glad I can print these out to play test. I have a big pack of linen card stock just itching to be used.

We're not telling our gaming buddy that we'll have this expansion to add, so it will be a nice holiday surprise for him! :D  I will definitely keep track of our feedback and will send along any comments/kudos from our 4-person game session.

Edited by bowlwoman

You might want to save your linen card stock for the final release, though actually PoD expansions don't use it :)

I look forward to any and all feedback!

I'm actually trying to mimic the Adventure Deck cards as closely as possible so I can make a region blender deck, so this will be a good way to play around with some different gluing and printing techniques to see what I can replicate.

I know other than getting them professionally printed on something like a playing card finish won't make them identical, but hopefully I can get them close to the regular cards.

I was alerted to a small typo in Master of Fate by Kaaihn, which I've fixed.

The possibility to be killed outright by the Red Cap was also thought to be a bit mean (Marasmus will stay though as she is fateable). I'll probably swap out Red Cap with Rusalka or the Naiad. What do you think?

Also, they've pointed out a potential confusion with 'Replenish dark fate to your fate value' (and light) on the two Trails. Does anyone else see an issue here?

Thinking about it last night, I could see two possibilities.

You have a fate value of 4.

You have 1 light fate only.

You may replenish dark fate up to your fate value...

a) The intention - You take 3 dark fate, which gives you fate to your fate value

b) The possibility - You take 4 dark fate, which gives you DARK fate up to your fate value.

Now, to be honest, I'm not worried which way this is taken, as it's not much of a boost, however I would like it to be clear.

Bear in mind that there will be a space cost to the cards with more wordy examples.

I'm happy to leave it as is, because there are a million interpretations of Talisman rules as it is, but thought I'd throw it out for comment :)

For those people printing the beta out to try, here is the Rusalka card which replaces the Red Cap.

I do agree that the chance to be killed without a chance to fate it was a tad harsh!

TMxx-rusalka.png

PS - the corrected Master of Fate card is available on the blog page - http://www.talismanisland.com/?page_id=7245

Edited by talismanisland

In other news, I've made a small adjustment in the rules that both realms are actually classed as a single region, apart from how Path cards are treated.

I've also decided to expand the Border deck by 6 cards to fill up the third page of cards. I've chosen the new (previously used) cards and will update in the next blog. I don't think any of the cards will cause an issue, they just add a bit more theme to the expansion.

Can you copy the updates over the card pages? or are the updates just for playtesting results.

I have to say I wanted to see a rule that takes one card from the Highlands Relic deck at random example: Like during setup when you place the Forge deck in play shuffle and take one card at random from the Highland Relic deck and place in face down under the Dwarven Highway part of the Lost Realms board (so that at least half of the Relic cards back is able to be seen). The Relic card placed in this way remains here for the rest of the game.

Also, it's a great idea to add more card.

I would have considered adding a Relic to the Forge deck, a la Deep Realms, if there had been more cards in the deck to start with.

The additional cards are just a few low level Enemies and some encounters that will assist with the theme. My iPad doesn't seem to like this forum software much, so I can't post an image currently, but I'll do so later on.

Back in the Deep Realms it was important that each Realm was classed as a separate Region, but the Border Region should be treated differently in that it is a single Region, but with the restrictions that the lower spaces also form part of the adjacent Regions (for Path card discarding only).

The rule amendments are as follows: 

TMxx-rules-update-01.jpg

As for the cards, I've been asked about the possibility of adding a few more to the mix, and with my OCD taking over, I figured it was good that all of the card sheets were filled up!

I've decided to go with theme for the most part (in fact, I think all of them fit in quite well), with low impact penalties/bonuses that should just add to the experience.

TMxx-update-02.jpg

Edited by talismanisland

Excellent work with this expansion.

For the first time I tried to enter the Border region with the Barbarian and lost 4 lives in two turns thanks to the Mountain dragon which I drew twice in a row. If you add six more cards, shouldnt one of them be a trail? Theyre hard to come by as it is now. Even if a player draws a trail theres no assurance hell get to press on to the forge or the elder village..

Heres just an example so you cant say Im all complaints and no help:)

Path of Thorns

Trail

Roll 1 die etc....

1) move to the Forest

2-3) move to any Woods space

4) Caught by thorns! Ditch one object at random.

5-6) Found a magic stream. Gain 1 life

Excellent work with this expansion.

For the first time I tried to enter the Border region with the Barbarian and lost 4 lives in two turns thanks to the Mountain dragon which I drew twice in a row. If you add six more cards, shouldnt one of them be a trail? Theyre hard to come by as it is now. Even if a player draws a trail theres no assurance hell get to press on to the forge or the elder village..

Heres just an example so you cant say Im all complaints and no help:)

Path of Thorns

Trail

Roll 1 die etc....

1) move to the Forest

2-3) move to any Woods space

4) Caught by thorns! Ditch one object at random.

5-6) Found a magic stream. Gain 1 life

This was my line of thinking when I read you are looking to include 6 more Border cards. I'd suggest making 2 of the 6 new Trails, dropping the Outlaw as you mention and also the Treasure Hunter. Perhaps have a Winding Cavern as a Trail?

As the Trails lead to the destination spaces, and you have to get past whatever you encounter before you encounter the Trails, and successfully get past the Trail itself while still remaining in the Region, I think the ratio of Trails should be 8 of the 42 total cards.

I've been playing with some images and text tonight, but I haven't come up with anything conclusive as yet.

I'm not convinced that we actually need 8 Trails, but I am happy to make a new Trail biased towards a favourable result.

I've even had a look at adding fatebound effects to a Trail result, but it turned into a bit of a nightmare! :)

It is also possible that if I cannot find suitable art/effects for such a card, I might leave the extra cards out... unlikely, but possible.

Okay, a decent night's sleep and a bit more pondering clears the mists!

I've come up with the Trail card below, which is another low impact card, with the result skewed towards successfully encountering the Trail with a decent reward and remaining in the same space.

I think it also reflects the nature of the Border Region with the Forest/Crags, Strength/Craft, Life/Fate vibe.

It's also a gorgeous piece of artwork from one of the artists that has already been used for a couple of Trails, so all is well.

TMxx-border-trail.png

My next question is -

Outlaw or Treasure Hunter?

I added both for the connection to the expansion, with the Outlaw being an older card that has never been repeated, and the Treasure Hunter being from the Highland, but also repeated in the Dragon. She also has a similar text to the new Peacock Dragon with Objects instead of Followers.

I had initially picked the Outlaw to be ousted to make room for the new Trail card, but I'm wavering a little.

He isn't as useful as the Treasure Hunter, but he is rather thematic, with his connection to Outlaws in the Highland and the fact that Robin Hood hid in a Forest.

I'm torn... help!? :)