talismanisland

The Lost Realms - A Fan Expansion

Another possibility would be a d6 roll on a table of Quests ala the Warlock's Cave, upon completion you gain a Destiny. The Destiny Quests would need to be tougher than "Travel to X" or "Visit Y". This removes the component of having a Fate cost to boost a roll, and introduces more of a time cost commensurate with the Woodlands.

I'm of the opinion that quests have been done enough in the game to be honest.

The fate issue probably isn't actually an issue given that some cards from The Harbinger introduced a fate "cost".

Perhaps the simplicity of leaving it at a d6 roll with no adjustment might be the way actually

You can always use fate to reroll, or use other means to try and get the required number with results like 1-2 - Gain 1 Strength or Craft, 3-5 - Gain your full complement of Spells, 6 - Draw three Destiny cards, pick one to keep and discard the rest.

Perhaps the three Destinies can be placed at game start and replenished once one has been taken, like Wanted Posters.

It still feels a little too easy to get a Destiny this way compared to the Woodlands methods. I'd be ok with it if we ban using Fate, Objects, Followers, Spells & Quest Rewards when rolling. If you are truly destined to have it, make it a single, straight up die roll without any ability to modify it or re-roll.

I think the thematic justification is simply the Fates won't allow any outside influences to pervert or manipulate whether or not one is chosen to be destined. Allowing Fate re-rolls is ok I suppose, so long as other effects are banned. That also opens the door to dark fate being in play, so it balances out.

I have one thought for each space. I think free draw is a bit boring but I also think that you should draw 1 forge item. Perhaps a twist for the space can be a d6 roll as well.

Roll 1 die to help the blacksmith:

1: miss your next turn and draw 1 forge card

2-4: draw 1 forge card

5-6: gain 2 gold and draw 1 forge card

Then move to the adjacent woods.

I would also like to bring up the idea to sacrifice trophies again for the elder village. You can sacrif 1 trophy and each trophy point adds 1 to your roll (so a dragon str 7 adds 7 to your roll and a demon craft 10 adds 10).

Roll 2 dice:

2-6: gain you full complement of spells

7-12: gain 1 strength or one craft

12+: gain 1 destiny

Otherwise I think an unmodified roll might be the way to go.

Perhaps the simplicity of leaving it at a d6 roll with no adjustment might be the way actually

You can always use fate to reroll, or use other means to try and get the required number with results like 1-2 - Gain 1 Strength or Craft, 3-5 - Gain your full complement of Spells, 6 - Draw three Destiny cards, pick one to keep and discard the rest.

Perhaps the three Destinies can be placed at game start and replenished once one has been taken, like Wanted Posters.

This sounds good to me. (And having the Destinies there at start makes the space "match" Deep Realms a bit more visually, and that's good too.)

It does a bit, as the Forge deck will be placed on the other realm card too.

I've played about with some text ideas, and mocked them up below.

It struck me that there are nearly double the cards in the Border deck than the Tunnel deck from The Deep Realms, so the card draw should be much more biased towards three cards, so I made two examples. One is a straight "Draw 3" and the other is a die roll to draw between 1 and 4 (!) cards, but leaning more to 3. I'd be interested in what people think about both.

I stayed with the simple random draw at the Forge, though I did think it possible that the Forge could actually be depleted when you get there, especially if you are playing with the Firelands! At least you will get a little bonus if you do find it empty.

I went with the single die roll at the Village, but with Cursed Glade exceptions as discussed previously.

Obviously, the text will change slightly if we go with a starting pull of 3 Destiny cards.

tm99-realm-text-1.jpg

Text boxes will of course be altered to take into account whatever text is used.

<edit>

Just to add, it is possible that BOTH texts are used for the lower spaces, but the die roll draw would be moved to the Dwarven side, giving each Realm card a die roll space. Thoughts?

Edited by talismanisland

I like the names "Elven Something Else" and "Dwarven Something Else". Can we keep them? :)

Seriously, though, I like having the same text for both bottom spaces and a die roll for the number of cards. Having four cards should help with the concern of heading into the Elder Village instead of the whole of the Woodlands for a Destiny.

Actually, I've just thought of another issue...

I've been concentrating on the lower spaces being more of a "bridge", but it strikes me that they should probably be a little more like the spaces leading to the "boss" spaces in The Deep Realms.

tm99-realm-text-1a.jpg

This might be just the foil we are looking for to make the journey through the realms a little harder as it will take between 2 and 4 turns to get there.

I'd be happy with the draw of 4 cards just being on a 1-3, with 4-5 being 3 cards, but that's another discussion!

Edited by talismanisland

Actually, I've just thought of another issue...

I've been concentrating on the lower spaces being more of a "bridge", but it strikes me that they should probably be a little more like the spaces leading to the "boss" spaces in The Deep Realms.

tm99-realm-text-1a.jpg

This might be just the foil we are looking for to make the journey through the realms a little harder as it will take between 2 and 4 turns to get there.

This might be the best thing I've read all day! :)

One thing I've noticed is that if you visit the Elder Village and you have a Mule or Horse & Cart, you'll have to ditch the objects they were carrying on this space as Followers can't be used there.

If my Horse & Cart was carrying 8 good items I'd avoid that space like I would with the 'Cataclysm' Cursed Glade space.

Looking good so far :)

PS: The Ent picture you used for the Forest Guardian, was the one that caught my eye when browsing through the Deviant Art pages.

I like the stack concept quite a bit, works well to help balance the Destiny being too easy issue. However, since the spaces are also "Bridge" spaces that have Places in the deck, and the fact that the spaces themselves represent large areas with freedom of movement as opposed to catacombs, I would think the top faceup card on your stack would be discarded at the end of your turn. Also, I would suggest that you cannot choose to "Escape" like you can in the Deep Realms, but will have to resolve your stack of cards before having the option to move elsewhere. Thematically, this is represented by the Elven Something Else being a large expanse with confusing paths, and the way you entered disappearing without a trace moments after arriving.

I personally like the Dwarven Something space being a straight Draw 3 and encounter all at once space, while the Elven side is the 2-4 card stack. I don't think the Forge rewards need such a time investment to claim them. Also, this helps speed up the "Bridge" function, since if both are stacks, it could take way too long to cross from the Highlands to the Woodlands.

One thing I've noticed is that if you visit the Elder Village and you have a Mule or Horse & Cart, you'll have to ditch the objects they were carrying on this space as Followers can't be used there.

If my Horse & Cart was carrying 8 good items I'd avoid that space like I would with the 'Cataclysm' Cursed Glade space.

Looking good so far :)

PS: The Ent picture you used for the Forest Guardian, was the one that caught my eye when browsing through the Deviant Art pages.

As Neil says, the current wording is too broad. My intention was more along the lines of "Roll 1d6 *insert table results here*. No special abilities or effects may be used to modify the result of this die roll." This is general enough language to ban all forms of cards from changing the result.

However, with the stack concept in play creating a time cost to get to the space, we may be able to dispense with this restriction altogether.

I've just been mulling over the attached as some possibilities.

I shall return to these tomorrow after my head has stopped spinning around with ideas!

tm99-realm-text-2.jpg

@sanity - I'll address your post tomorrow, as you posted it while I was fiddling about with the above :)

In which case we can go back to the 3, 2 or 1 draws on the spaces and possibly not even skewed.

or after a bit of thought...

How about making the Dwarven side a "standard Bridge" space with a draw two cards then shuffle them back in when done, thus only taking a single turn to traverse that space.

We can then make the Elven space the 2, 3 or 4 turns space which would mostly equate to travelling through the remainder of the Woodlands.

I can alter the Forge search so that the odds are changed a bit to compensate for the ease of access. So you find nothing on a 1-2, 3-5 gives a random item and 6 lets you pick.

I'm happy enough with limiting the use of Objects and Spells in the village, as it is a standard wording from the original Cursed Glade. With the potential for delay in getting to the village, I'd also be happy enough if we left off the restriction though.

As for forbidding escape, I think that would be too much of a restriction as you could wind up dead if you get stuck with a particularly nasty stack.

Edited by talismanisland

Here we go. 

Some tweaks, but I don't think we are far off.

I've also altered the Trail cards slightly to allow for them being Places by adding a bonus turn to the top result, and then having them be discarded after the encounter.

tm99-b6_sylvan-pathway.jpg

tm99-realm-text-3.jpg

So does the Even Village seand you away (like teh Forge does) or will you have to re-trace your steps?

Also, teh "Dwarven trail" could be the "Old Dwarven Road", as a road is more dwarfy than a trail.

Edited by Slev

Both spaces will have you move to the Woods space when you are done (or actually it may be a die roll.) This will be covered in the rules like The Deep Realms.

The low result in the Forge only gives you the move to help balance out getting nothing for your troubles. Unless of course there is a massive dragon on the Woods, when it will be a bit of a penalty :)

Edited by talismanisland

Supplementary question -

Should I stick with the Horse Thief that recently replaced the Faerie Trod card, or should I go with the Master of Fate card from The Woodland expansion?

My thinking is that it's a card that benefits all rather than having to dump your useful Followers, which could be a bit painful.

It also means we have an Event from both adjacent expansions, as we already have Landslide in the mix.

Edited by talismanisland