talismanisland

The Lost Realms - A Fan Expansion

I've said before about maybe making an expansion that encompasses the existing PoDs and this one, so maybe then.

I've had a similar idea. I may message youy later to discuss a basic idea we can take to teh forum with later...

Hmmm... I thought Hidden Realms sounded familiar.

It appears the name was already used by Bludgeon for his corner region idea -

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/221870-hidden-realms-mini-expansion

Don't worry. My project was more of a proposed rules change with a few cards that go with it. You have my full blessing with this expansion and keep the name :)

Sorry I've been inactive over the last week or so, been busy with school. I'll get back on the templates in the next few days. Anyway, I like Hidden Realms, but I definitely still prefer Lost Realms... Has a nicer ring to it, and fits better with Deep Realms. Apart from that, I like the other discussed changes - I second keeping the forge master in the deck, and like where we're going with the forge items. Nice to see things coming together!

Indeed. I only get a chance to play the board game once a year and the digital version every once in a while so I completely understand. Just happy that you stepped up to do the artwork.

Edited by Quartzquiz

I think this list is up to date.

The is a question mark over Farie Trod as I remember.

Border Deck (36)

Event

Faerie Trod
Landslide
Marasmus

Enemy - Animal

Roc - S5
Totem Bear - C3

Enemy - Construct

Elder Sentinel - C8
Forge Warden - S7

Enemy - Demon

Swamp Demon - C6

Enemy - Dragon

Arboreal Dragon - C7
Mountain Dragon - S8

Enemy - Elemental

Forest Guardian - C6

Enemy - Fae

Fae Witch - C2
Boggart - S3
Red Cap - S4

Enemy - Monster 

Harpy - C4
Rock Mauler - S6

Enemy - Outlaw

Falconer - C3
Trapper - S2
Border Reivers - S5

Enemy - Spirit

Wight - C4

Stranger 

Dryad
Neraidini
Rune Witch

Follower 

Forge Master
Peacock Dragon
Waywatcher

Object

Elven Bow - Weapon
Emerald - Trinket
Ruby - Trinket
Wayfinder Compass

Place

Enchanted Path - Trail
Forgotten Road - Trail
Highland Pass - Trail
Shadow Pathway - Trail
Sylvan Trackway - Trail
Way of the Dead - Trail

Forge Deck (6)

Object

Black Iron Key - Trinket

Magic Object

Gauntlet of Peace
Iron Talisman
Morak's Hammer - Weapon 
Ring of Denial - Trinket
Rune Shield - Armour

I've been meaning to bring up the Fairie Trod again, thanks for the reminder. My initial concern was if we used the standard rules for Paths, any Path gained in the Lost/Hidden Realms from the Trod would very quickly get discarded since no one is likely to spend much time in the Region. However, I have a suggestion that could make the Fairie Trod viable and tackle another potential issue that has me a little concerned.

I'd like to propose a rule along these lines: "Any Path a character has when entering from the Woodlands to the Lost/Hidden Realms, or that they have when entering the Woodlands from the Lost/Hidden Realms, is retained instead of being discarded for having left a Region."

This would make any Path gained from a Fairie Trod in the new Realm remain if they went to the Woodlands, and since the Region is related to the Woodlands, they would stay with you if you enter from the Thicket. Additionally, this would help eliminate any potential abuse whereby a player makes a quick pitstop into the Lost/Hidden Realms to discard their current Path to just simply turn around and re-enter the Woodlands to select a new Path. I'm personally in favor of closing this potential loophole, and this proposal should do the trick.

Also, given the look of the Elder Sentinel, I'm probably going to shift it across to being an Elemental. It's a bit organic to be a Construct I think, unless it's a magical construct, like the Living Statue...

Hmmm?

Edited by talismanisland

A Fae construct! Yes!

Although the Fairy Trod card fits wonderfully with the rest of the expansion, I agree it potentially leaves a loophole. I don't know about the closing suggested by sanityismyvanity, but it might work.

I've been meaning to bring up the Fairie Trod again, thanks for the reminder. My initial concern was if we used the standard rules for Paths, any Path gained in the Lost/Hidden Realms from the Trod would very quickly get discarded since no one is likely to spend much time in the Region. However, I have a suggestion that could make the Fairie Trod viable and tackle another potential issue that has me a little concerned.

Rather than introduce a new rule in order to shoehorn the card in, I think I'd rather go with one of your earlier suggestions and swap Faerie Trod about with the Horse Thief card from the Reaper/Sacred Pool.

He fits rather well with the Outlaw theme too.

@Jon - Since you are thinking about making the spaces "roll a die, draw 1, 2 or 3 cards", I suggest that the table is skewed towards more cards, rather than less.

1 - draw 1 card

2-3 - draw 2 cards

4-6 - draw 3 cards

The reason for this is we don't want it to be so easy to just waltz into the Forge/Elder Village after just facing a single card. Since movement is more straightforward and deterministic, the spaces leading there should have a higher chance of throwing a wrench in your plans of getting to the destination spaces.

I'm just resurrecting this post to now concentrate on the Realm spaces as the other cards are more or less sorted, with the possible exception of the Trail card options.

I like the idea of a skewed card draw, but would probably go with 1 = 1, 2 - 4 = 2, 5 - 6 = 3 to err on the side of a 2 card draw.

However, I am also happy if it is left as a straight draw 2 cards with the same additional text as the Deep Realms. It /might/ have to be anyway due to space considerations.

The choice on the next turn will either be move up or across (or out).

The wording for the Realm effect will have to be a little different from the Deep Realms as the Enemies there have mixed attributes.

So -

Outlaws add 1 to their Strength and Craft?

<edit> I actually think this is fine to use, so removed the other choices!

As for the upper spaces, the Forgotten Forge was to be a simple draw card at random, but I've been wondering if that is a bit dull. It's not quite the same as missing a turn to gain a card, but nearly. Perhaps you can do like the Treasure Chamber or Eerie and take a card and move straight to the adjacent Woods space?

For the Elder Village, I liked the idea of a 2 or 3 dice roll, but the space required for such a thing will be a little prohibitive.

The choices could be just simply to draw a random Destiny (with a cost) or gain your full complement of Spells, or even exchange fate for Strength or Craft.

As with the Forge, the gains could be in conjunction with a move to the Woods afterwards, with only the fate exchange "costing" a turn?

Thoughts?

Edited by talismanisland

Forgotten Forge: [Add two Forge cards during setup]. Draw one Forge Card and add it to the cards on this space. You may take one card from this space, then move to [wherever].

I think for the Elder Village, a decision of the cost and availability of Destiny cards is in order. I'd have it as something like:

Spend 1 Fate and roll 3 dice:

three-of-a-kind: Gain 1 Destiny;

two-of-a-kind: Gain 1 Strength or 1 Craft;

Other rolls: Gain your foll complement of Spells.

Though it's a nice idea and mirrors the Deep Realms, but the chance to get 1 of only 3 cards from the Forge deck might not be enough for people. It would also obviate the need for the Forge Master card, although that could be repurposed.

I suspect a three of a kind roll is a kind of a stretch too.

Forge Master would be "look through entire deck, pick one"?

The numbers could be slid around, or you could make it "draw two pick one".

If the dice roll on the village is no good, you could have each of the three options have a cost in Fate, like a shop.

For the Elder Village, if space is a concern, a one-die roll and being able to spend fate (even after the roll) to increase your chances? 1-3 May exchange Strength and Craft, 4-7 Gain Full Complement of Spells, 8+ Gain a Destiny. Thus Destiny has a built-in cost and may not be as attractive as going through the Woodlands board.

In that case, I'd make it a 2D6 roll, +1 per Fate spent.

2-7: Full hand of Spells

8-10: 1 Strength or Craft

11-12: Random destiny

That halves the chance of the desting compared to the six on 1d6, and adds the lost probability to the strength/craft.

I have a couple of concerns.

I'm wondering whether we should be using fate in such a way, as it already has a tried and tested use in the game.

Also, whether or not such a slim chance at a Destiny will put people off going to the village.

I have found yet another iteration of the realm board with some oddments of text on it, believe it or not referring to a Forge deck, a Trail deck and a Lore deck.

The Lore deck was an idea for a reward on the village side, but would probably have been artless cards akin to Quest Rewards.

To be honest, they'd probably act just like Paths and Destinies anyway, so there's no need to introduce them I think.

Perhaps if we change the random Destiny to a draw three, like was suggested for the other side?

That way at least you are getting something of a choice, and the "free" nature of the Forge items is balanced out by being a totally random draw.