Sign in to follow this  
Desmothenes44

Mission 5 rules clarification

I know Missions are not the most common way to play, but now that Canadian Nationals are over I want to just have a little fun.

I am hoping for a rule clarification on mission 5, that came with the Firespray. 

In this mission the rebel player chooses one of their ships to have a bounty on it. They need to keep this ship alive or the imperials win. 

The mission states that the rebels get 150 points, but "The squad point cost of this ship is doubled". The bounty ship is treated as having 2 EPT slots. "Reduce the combined cost of all Upgrade cards equipped to the ship by 10 (to a minimum of 0)."

The Imperials get 90 pts. 

I had interpreted this one way, and another person interpreted it differently, and I would like input. 

Is the total package double costed, and then reduce the upgrades by 10, or is only the base ship cost doubled?

So, for example, would a rookie pilot (21) + proton torpedos (4) + R2D2 (4) + Engine upgrade (4)

44  (21*2 + 4 + 4 + 4) points or 56 ( (21+4+4+4)*2 -10)?

Thanks for the input!

I know Missions are not the most common way to play, but now that Canadian Nationals are over I want to just have a little fun.

I am hoping for a rule clarification on mission 5, that came with the Firespray. 

In this mission the rebel player chooses one of their ships to have a bounty on it. They need to keep this ship alive or the imperials win. 

The mission states that the rebels get 150 points, but "The squad point cost of this ship is doubled". The bounty ship is treated as having 2 EPT slots. "Reduce the combined cost of all Upgrade cards equipped to the ship by 10 (to a minimum of 0)."

The Imperials get 90 pts. 

I had interpreted this one way, and another person interpreted it differently, and I would like input. 

Is the total package double costed, and then reduce the upgrades by 10, or is only the base ship cost doubled?

So, for example, would a rookie pilot (21) + proton torpedos (4) + R2D2 (4) + Engine upgrade (4)

44  (21*2 + 4 + 4 + 4) points or 56 ( (21+4+4+4)*2 -10)?

Thanks for the input!

The Learn to Play manual(I haven't double checked in the rules reference) makes the cost of ships and upgrades distinct things, so in light of the "of this ship" wording on top of that in the mission description I'd lean towards the 44 point math.

Thanks!

Based upon my reading of the Rules Reference I agree with you (they seem to make the same distinction there).

The other player said that the cost of the ship is the total, which is made up of the pilot card and upgrade cards. Using that language makes more thematic sense to me (I think it might be cleaner had it been written that way), but based upon how I read the rules I don't really see "pilot card" used, its always about the ship cost on the ship card and the cost of an upgrade card.

I would say the 44 is right, but you missed the minus 10 in it, so it would technically look like:

(21*2) + (4+4+4-10) = 44

However keep in mind you should not be subtracting the 10 from the total ship cost but just the upgrades and which can never be less then zero.

So removing Engine Upgrade from the above example

(21*2) = 42

+

(4+4-10) = -2 which is then changed to 0 (no idea how to represent this mathematically :huh: )

So 42 + 0 = 42.