Sign in to follow this  
John Constantine

Friends long forgotten

I've been looking for art pieces of jewels and I really like the one you used for Celebrían's Stone. Sure, it's not the same as in the books as there's no eagle, but I would have loved to use it when making my Sunstone of Lindon custom card.

Could you elaborate why the changes on Celebrian's Stone?

Thanks

If you're about the resource icon, then it's simple: I hate name specific card effects. I'd rather have card attach to two specific traits (which I made a background check for) than have it give something to one specific name.

If you're about discarding a copy to ready, then it's just a fun little theme for powerful unique artifacts I've came up with, nothing serious. 

I like name-specific attachments, as long as the attachments are usable outside the person name.  I like Snowmane and Herugrim -- both are excellent with Eowyn, but Theoden's price discount and lack of restricted make them *especially* good on him.  Celebrian's Stone I like -- most of the functionality is for everyone, but Aragorn gets a sphere as well (I think it also shouldn't be restricted for Aragorn).  Sword that was Broken I *don't* like, because it might as well just say "attach to Aragorn".  No one would pay 3 leadership to give a hero a leadership icon.  If the effects were reversed, and the card restricted to Dunedain, I'd like it better.

I noticed another recurring theme was to put "limit one mount per hero" on each of them.  I'm of two minds on this.  On one hand, I don't share the usual "can't ride two horses at one time" objection.  While you can't, historically warriors often *did* have multiple horses, which let them ride harder and longer by rotating mounts -- having two mounts give you more capability, just as having two weapons gives you more capability, even if you aren't technically likely to use them both at the same time.  On the other hand, most of the mounts in the game are Mearas, much more capable than historic horses, and from the text apparently used exclusively 1:1.  So it's at least thematic to restrict them, except that if only they were restricted to 1 mount they would be *less* valuable than non-Mearas mounts, which is exactly backwards.  Hobbit Ponies at least should not partake of the 1 mount restriction, they were not used exclusively for riding, and the four hobbits set out with *five* hobbit ponies.

When I get a chance I'll comment more on specific cards.

Tactics heroes:

Brand -- giving him 1 extra hp and the noble/warrior traits is a subtle benefit.  I like this Brand better, but he's still pretty useless for solo.  I wish he had something like "attacks and defeats an enemy not engaged with you, may ready any other character."  That would at least make him solo-friendly with Great Yew Bow.

Eagles:

Landroval -- while the new Landroval can save attachments from the rescued hero, he does so at a higher cost -- discarded instead of returning to hand, and leaving all the previous damage instead of setting to 1 damage.  Much worse in a Beorn deck.

Eagles of the Misty Mountains -- with a temporary instead of permanent boost from departing eagle, substantially worse.

Descendant of Thorondor -- by only damaging enemies in staging area, substantially worse.

Winged Guardian -- I like the design of this one better, in both the pay-or-discard only if he took no damage, the more substantial hp, and the 1 wp.  Going from 4 defense to 3 defense weakens, though.

Vassal of the Windlord -- first pure buff, since he's only discarded if the attack destroys an enemy.  I like it.

Support of the Eagles -- once per round, you get +1 wp/att/def if an eagle enters, and a +1 wp/att/def if an eagle leaves.  If no eagles enter or leave, you get nothing from your 2-cost attachment.  And you can only have 1-per hero.  It is cheaper, but the upside is much, much less.

Born Aloft -- so for a 1 cost attachment, you can return a non-eagle ally to hand in exchange for an eagle ally -- and "that ally" (the eagle, I presume) gets discarded at the end of the round.  I like the 0-cost original better, and I won't play it.  This is better thematically, though.  Couldn't the Eagle return to hand also?

Meneldor's Flight -- Returning an eagle (or more, if you lose a bunch) from the discard for 1 is much better than returning an in-play eagle for 0.  I like this one.

To the Eyrie -- discarding an eagle to prevent three damage to a non-eagle is a nice, thematic 0-cost event.  It's an inferior effect to the original, but the original is just to expensive (2 and an eagle exhaustian to retrieve an ally from the discard).

Overall, I like the improvements you've made to the Eagles cards I never play, but don't much care for the changes made to the Eagles cards I do play.  Eagles are the last faction I think of as overpowered, but the high upside from these expensive, fragile allies seems to have been entirely removed.

One last eagle-related card is Radagast -- by allowing him to heal anyone, but getting extra healing on creatures, his action goes from useless to worthwhile.  Inflating his stats from 2/1/1/3 to 3/2/2/3 also makes him worth playing outside a dedicated Eagles deck.  Vast improvement on the near-useless original.

Wait I second, I think you are reposnding in the wrong thread :)

(I haven't read what you wrote yet, I'll get right to it.)

About Descendant of Thorondor... he only got his willpower and health buffed, his text remained effectively the same.

Edited by John Constantine