Sign in to follow this  
JasonCole

Will 3 factions become 5 at some point?

Don't see it happening, sorry. 

In canon, we already have the First Order using Imperial ships. It makes sense, therefore, that both the Galactic Empire and First Order would remain united. 

Further, given that the T-70 X-Wing is, in canon, an old ship, it only makes sense that the Resistance would be using other old ships, including those used by the Rebellion, like the T-65. I expect that in Episode VIII, we will see more iconic rebel ships and maybe even ships from the Old Republic (and ships from the New) flying alongside the forces of the Resistance. It makes sense, therefore, that both the Rebel Alliance and the Resistance would remain unified. Although we might see a New Republic subfaction. Simply the Resistance/Rebel Alliance, but with the newest toys. 

I would also not expect to see the Confederacy of Independent Systems or the Old Republic/Grand Army of the Republic as factions. Rather, I would expect that we will continue to see Clone Wars-era starships brought in line with whichever faction makes the most sense. So we might see Imperial V-Wings and Scum Belbullab-22s in addition to the already announced Rebel ARC-170s. 

Edited by Vigil

So you want two factions who have Tech slots on all their ships, two factions that have no Tech slots on their ships, and Scum to be the one faction with a bit of both?

With asymmetric release rates, because the new factions only get their stuff in the new movies, and as far as we can tell it looks like they're not going to actually release all that many new ship designs each time, and most of those are going to be, ahem, 'faithful re-imaginings' at best?

Nah.

The Tech slot divides ships based on era, not faction- The Quadjumper has one because it's from TFA. Chronologically older scum ships that come out in the future won't have one.

As for a Rebel Alliance X-wing-only title, it's unlikely because FFG has stated they kept the T-70 in line with the T-65 balance wise because they knew it would need to be forwards compatible with any future x-wing fix.

I only see this happening in house rules or specific store tournaments. The only card that designates it being a separate faction is the TIE/fo, The T70 is only thought to be a resistance ship because of the movie. If they did this in game, Scum would be the clear winner as they would not be restricted, unless they went crazy town and said you couldnt mix crime organisations. 

I'm really not concerned either way. I only ask because I was going through my binder full of pilots sleeving factions into different colored sleeves, and was reminded that the backs of the T-70s and FO's bear different icons than the empire and alliance, which is what made me wonder... "why bother with different logos?".

The commentary has been interesting, though.

I'm really not concerned either way. I only ask because I was going through my binder full of pilots sleeving factions into different colored sleeves, and was reminded that the backs of the T-70s and FO's bear different icons than the empire and alliance, which is what made me wonder... "why bother with different logos?".

because different subfactions

almost 1000% certainly for marketing the new movies and the "new" factions (same as the old factions) within

Edited by ficklegreendice

I think that since so many Rebels become resistance members, they aren't really different factions. And the First Order is probably too weak right now, and their ships just wouldn't ever get used.

Black Sun could have been their own faction...I think that could have worked. And in the Extended Universe, Black Sun has Gozanti Cruisers, so that ship could have come with Black Sun cards.

Finally, I think bounty hunters could have been a completely separate faction, with any faction allowed to include one bounty hunter in their list, or you could fly an all bounty hunter list.

And Jabba the Hutt and the Hutt Cartel could be separate factions, too

But this is getting into ridiculousness... I think that three factions is just fine. It's a lot easier for them to balance all three factions than if we saw this kind of stuff in the future:

"Has anyone seen the New Republic faction lately? I think they've been ignored in recent waves. Also, I think that Soontir Fel's Empire is a hard faction to fly with only two types of ships available for it so far. I hope wave 37 has some new ships for them. And what about Herglic Space? I'm so sick of seeing them. I hope there's an errata that stops people from only flying Herglic Aces... Which of the 23 factions is your favorite?"

The problem is that right now the Rebel/Neutral/Imperial does not necessarily fit the Light/Balance/Dark that the primary factions match. Here is a chart for much like the Lawful-Chaos Good-Evil chart. 

X_wing_alignment_unfinished.png

While I agree with your ideas about factions I've got to disagree with your political/moral spectrum break down.

The Republic are authoritarian, they don't have any particular moral leaning. Their leadership is corrupt, their troops are indoctrinated slaves and their mission statement is purely to oppose those systems who would be independent. Just because the Jedi who fight for them are 'light' (though I would argue their morality in this era is similarly grey beyond a strong inclination to 'order' rather than 'chaos').

The CIS on the other hand use the language and propaganda of liberation and freedom (with some of their supporters genuinely believing it), but are once again run by a corrupt authoritarian council (capitalism isn't freedom when the bank and the biggest corporations have total market control, and an army to back it up).

In essence they are mirrors of eachother. Both sides are essentially authoritarian neutral headed by a Sith (who is in turn authoritarian evil, despite the sith generally standing more for chaos).

The New Republic and the Galactic Empire are again both authoritarian, but this time with a more distinct light/dark leaning, though one could argue that the new republic had its morally grey side.

I would then argue that the Rebel Alliance is generally Light-Libertarian as "freedom from legitimate oppression" is their focus (which nicely puts the Empire and Rebels, core factions of the entire franchise, as diometrically opposed), mean while the Resistance are Nuetral-libertarian. They are fighting for the ideology of freedom against a people beyond their own borders who don't want to be free.

I don't know where to place the FO though. They are possibly more authoritarian (seemingly micromanaging their citizens as faceless assets) than any faction before them, and seemingly more openly dark than any faction before them. So more authoritarian dark than the empire?

From listening to the two Aftermath audiobooks I find the main differences between the Empire and the FO (as far as have been revealed) are:

-Empire: Fostered ruthless competition between the Moffs and Admirals, allowing the strongest to rise to the top, while keeping them so focused of infighting that they never became a direct threat to the Emperor.

-FO: Seems to have formed under Admiral Rax (and possibly Snoke), who began by culling those very same officers who were vying for power between them selfs. Instead he/they wanted fanatically loyal officers willing to do what ever it takes to further the Empire/First Order's goals.

-Empire: Relied on third party contractors to build their war-machine, such as Sienar Systems.

-Rax's Empire/FO: Was designed to be more self sufficient, so they designed and manufactured their own war-machine.

-Empire: Used enlisted and conscripted men to fill their trooper ranks, choosing quantity over quality.

-FO:  Under Commandant Hux, inspired my the Jedi and Clone training programs, believed their troopers should be trained from birth to fill their role. The focus being quality over quantity.

So maybe the FO is more insular, unified, and fanatical (like the Jedi and Clones), where the Empire is more paranoid, and bureaucratic (like the Republic senate).

Edited by Radarman5

In 5 years when Episode 9 comes out, if there is enough stuff, then maybe a second edition might see fit to split things into 5 or 6 factions.

I say "or 6", because I think it would be interesting to see "Scum" split from groups like "Mandalore". Yes, this leaves us in a weird place with Boba Fett and a Xizor (both of them are clearly scum, but they both fly ships from MandalMotors).

I do wish they would do more with sub factions, but I don't see the easy path there without a fairly substantial revamp.

I think sub factions could be interesting using your scum model. It would still be the 3 main factions but maybe have upgrade cards like others suggested, for fo only or resistence only. It would still be an over all imperial or rebel list respectively but maybe have upgrades that only affect parts of it.

An example would be like palpatine only working for non sub imps and ren only working for fo. Just an idea they can play with later if they want without destroying what is there.

Sub factions are feasible. The thing with Scum is that apart from Boba's Slave 1 and maybe the recoloured Y-Wings .. nothing is recognisable to the casual SW fan. For fellas and ma'ams like us, we know these ships through books, games, comics, etc. but if your fair weather SW fan walks past a table and sees two Scum armies duking it out .. they probably wouldn't identify the game as Star Wars.

Clearly, the developers want to promote the Star Warsiness of the game as they include the most iconic ships (excl Falcon) in both of their starter sets.

I could mostly see it happening, but simply by adding cards with synergy.  For example:

Rogue squadron: title, T-65 only.

When defending, if another ship with the rogue squadron title is within range 1, you may add one focus result.

When it came out, the IG-88 was basically a sub faction of its own.  Adding the IG-88 crew slightly expanded the faction ;)