Sign in to follow this  
JasonCole

Will 3 factions become 5 at some point?

I guess see topic title for my shot question. But at some point, do we expect there to be enough content in FO and Resistance factions for them to become separate factions that aren't to have their streams crossed with Galactic Empire or Rebel Alliance?

no

and why do people keep asking this?

what do we gain by just ripping the T-70 and resistance falcon from rebels? likewise the FO and SF and upsilon from empire? what about all the future content as well?

is there something so broken in allowing them to be taken together that warrants their separation?

why would you want to see the number of squad building options reduced?

for fluff?

this is why gameplay >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> fluff

Edited by ficklegreendice

No. Kylo Ren's new crew card is not restricted to the First Order. BB-8 is not restricted to the Resistance, etc.

Also, it makes no sense to split them and to cripple the factions. You would have 4 factions with much fewer ship numbers than Scum & villainy at that point when the split was made.

It's pointless and there is no need to do it. So ya, no.

I guess see topic title for my shot question. But at some point, do we expect there to be enough content in FO and Resistance factions for them to become separate factions that aren't to have their streams crossed with Galactic Empire or Rebel Alliance?

The Kylo Ren upgrade says Imperial Only: there is no rule update that could restrict him to the First Order without also restricting Palpatine, Vader, Fleet Officer and the rest of the Imperial crew to First Order Only short of outright errata.

Given how easy it would have been build in a way to make him First Order only and given that they didn't I think that shows fairly clearly that they have no plans to split the subfactions further down the line at this time.

Edited by Blue Five

In 5 years when Episode 9 comes out, if there is enough stuff, then maybe a second edition might see fit to split things into 5 or 6 factions.

I say "or 6", because I think it would be interesting to see "Scum" split from groups like "Mandalore". Yes, this leaves us in a weird place with Boba Fett and a Xizor (both of them are clearly scum, but they both fly ships from MandalMotors).

I do wish they would do more with sub factions, but I don't see the easy path there without a fairly substantial revamp.

In 5 years when Episode 9 comes out, if there is enough stuff, then maybe a second edition might see fit to split things into 5 or 6 factions.

I say "or 6", because I think it would be interesting to see "Scum" split from groups like "Mandalore". Yes, this leaves us in a weird place with Boba Fett and a Xizor (both of them are clearly scum, but they both fly ships from MandalMotors).

I do wish they would do more with sub factions, but I don't see the easy path there without a fairly substantial revamp.

I think sub factions could be interesting using your scum model. It would still be the 3 main factions but maybe have upgrade cards like others suggested, for fo only or resistence only. It would still be an over all imperial or rebel list respectively but maybe have upgrades that only affect parts of it.

An example would be like palpatine only working for non sub imps and ren only working for fo. Just an idea they can play with later if they want without destroying what is there.

I would agree that Mandalorians would make a good Scum subfaction.

OTOH, I doubt that FFGs current production rate could handle keeping 6 factions populated and balanced.  The subfaction notion might be used to support event themes and the like (a tournament that only allows First Order and Resistance ships) (and yes, allowing Old Republic and CiS to become era-based factions), but for official purposes, subfactions will be fluff/thematic only.

No, not going to happen. What we might see is upgrade cards that say "First Order Only" or "Resistance Only", but those are probably a long way off.

I actually expect to see "Rebel Alliance only" first if we get another xwing fix so it can be applied specifically to the t65.

No, not going to happen. What we might see is upgrade cards that say "First Order Only" or "Resistance Only", but those are probably a long way off.

Actually, Tech already does this.

Only having the slot on new ships is not the same thing as fo or resistence only. Notably for one thing, scum is getting it in wave 10

Eventually yes, I can see it as a way FFG would control power creep by splitting the primary factions up and FFG is making more Imperial and Rebel ships than Scum sort of pushing those ahead until the big split. As for Upgrades that would be simply stick between primary factions so upgrades would be used by both TFA and OT factions. But as of right now the answer is no. There is just not enough material even if you take every obscure ship from episode 7 (such as T-85 X-wing, or those storm trooper transports). Even with all that there wouldn't be enough ships to make a full faction. When scum started out it had 6 ships which is more than what both Resistance and 1stOrder have put together. 

However to try out how this might work i made a post about a soft split of the primary factions which just curtails how much of the other subfaction ships you can put in your list based upon the total point value of your squadron. It might give a glimpse in how the 5 subfactions will work on their own. You can find it HERE.

Edited by Marinealver

Scum & Villainy will get a Hutt Cartel Faction, a Black Sun Faction, a Mining Guild Faction, a Mandalorian Faction, a Pirate Faction...and THEN Rebels will get a Wookiee Faction, a Jedi Faction and THEN Imperials will get a Mercenary Faction, a Sith Faction...

Oprah said that we all get Factions, right? :P

Sure, there'll be five factions at some point. But they won't split up Force Awakens era from the current era. Instead we'll end up with

Rebels/Resistance

Empire/First Order

Scum and Villainy

Galactic Republic

Confederacy of Independent Systems

Before anybody jumps down my throat - it has been confirmed that there are no immediate plans to expand into prequel era territory, but at the same time it has never been ruled out as a possible option.

It's bound to happen sooner or later and when it does I will be happy to put a squad of Clones together.

I actually expect to see "Rebel Alliance only" first if we get another xwing fix so it can be applied specifically to the t65.

Actually, Tech already does this.

Only having the slot on new ships is not the same thing as fo or resistence only. Notably for one thing, scum is getting it in wave 10

Well, it IS, until they do that. . .

Absolutely not. The Resistance and FO ships are being marketed as Rebel and Empire ships, customers are buying them because they can use them in their faction of choice (yes there are some weirdoes who only play one faction and only buy stuff for that faction). Splitting the sub-factions up at this point would lead to a lot of consumer outrage (remember the reaction to the misleading SLAM/ Bomb interaction article, now multiply that by 10), and it wouldn't really add anything to the game other than limiting you options.

They could create some kind of rule/upgrade that gave you a bonus for fielding only ships from one of a faction's sub-groups if they needed to go in that direction. Maybe if the do X-wing 2.0 they'll separate them, but I don't see that happening for a few years (if they still hold the license).

Right now we have 3 factions that are split into allied subfactions. This situation will probably continue with little change as more subfactions are introduced. I doubt the subfactions will ever mean anything in tourneys.

Scum is more likely to have multiple subfactions like Hutts, Black Sun, Mandos, Pirates, ect. while Rebels and Imperials might get the Republic, Jedi, Sith and Seperatists, not necessarily allied in the way that is expected.

FFG did put out subfactions. It would be stupid to do so if they never intended to use it.

Now, how they intend to use it us anyone's guess.

It can be anything from full separation (very unlikely now since crew cards don't seem to use subfactions) to someting akinto Warmachine's theme forces to simply 'subfaction only' cards (again unlikely IMO since Finn, Rey and Kylo didn't get that treatment)

Sure, there'll be five factions at some point. But they won't split up Force Awakens era from the current era. Instead we'll end up with

Rebels/Resistance

Empire/First Order

Scum and Villainy

Galactic Republic

Before anybody jumps down my throat - it has been confirmed that there are no immediate plans to expand into prequel era territory, but at the same time it has never been ruled out as a possible option.

It's bound to happen sooner or later and when it does I will be happy to put a squad of Clones together.

Prequal era stuff is possible, I suppose, but honestly, I can't see it seeing all that well.  I know I have ZERO interest in pursuing that era. But eventually, the the existing eras will be saturated, so maybe.  I hope, rather, that Eps VIII and IX, the stand-alones as well as Rebels, give us more to explore in the current eras.  

On 9/11/2016 at 11:08 AM, GrimmyV said:

Right now we have 3 factions that are split into allied subfactions. This situation will probably continue with little change as more subfactions are introduced. I doubt the subfactions will ever mean anything in tourneys.

Scum is more likely to have multiple subfactions like Hutts, Black Sun, Mandos, Pirates, ect. while Rebels and Imperials might get the Republic, Jedi, Sith and Seperatists, not necessarily allied in the way that is expected.

If this is the case then I can see more of a soft split where the subfactions are seperate but can take allies from within their primary faction. However it is limited like only 1/4 to less than 1/2 of total squadron points can be spent on primary faction allies.

On 9/11/2016 at 9:57 AM, Mangipan said:

Rebels/Resistance

Empire/First Order

Scum and Villainy

Galactic Republic

I honestly think there would be a split for the 5 factions before the prequel ships come in. If the prequel ships come in first Disney would have to be focusing on them with some clone war or Kotor movie. Then I can see it as a whole new Core set with its own wave 1 that are entirely out of clone war factions. So there would be 7 factions not 5.

X_wing_alliance_alt.png

As for keeping the primary factions in tact I think an ally wheel would be better with scum in the middle. You can only chose one adjacent ally or scum.

Edited by Marinealver

As for keeping the primary factions in tact I think an ally wheel would be better with scum in the middle. You can only chose one adjacent ally or scum.

Yeah, I like this idea. Luke can work with either the Rebellion, the New Republic, or the Resistance. But the New Republic and the Resistance can't work together.

Any Scum faction can hire mercenaries like Fett to fill out their ranks, but Black Sun and the Hutt Cartels won't ever work together.

This is why I say it would take an X-Wing 2.0 to make this work: you'd need a lot of new cardboard and keywords to make this all work properly.

Heck! You might have certain pilots with the Rebel and Scum and Black Sun keywords- looking at you, Ketsu Onyo! Whereas Sabine in that same ship might only have Rebel and Scum and Mandalore as her key words.

In my mind, those keywords affect only squad building, and a card like Palpatine would still affect anyone in his squad. It's just much simpler that way.

On 9/11/2016 at 0:26 PM, Punning Pundit said:

On 9/11/2016 at 11:59 AM, Marinealver said:

Yeah, I like this idea. Luke can work with either the Rebellion, the New Republic, or the Resistance. But the New Republic and the Resistance can't work together.

Any Scum faction can hire mercenaries like Fett to fill out their ranks, but Black Sun and the Hutt Cartels won't ever work together.

This is why I say it would take an X-Wing 2.0 to make this work: you'd need a lot of new cardboard and keywords to make this all work properly.

Heck! You might have certain pilots with the Rebel and Scum and Black Sun keywords- looking at you, Ketsu Onyo! Whereas Sabine in that same ship might only have Rebel and Scum and Mandalore as her key words.

In my mind, those keywords affect only squad building, and a card like Palpatine would still affect anyone in his squad. It's just much simpler that way.

Here is a wheel I made. This one with Scum in the center

X_wing_alliance_alt.png

I can see resistance salvaging old Clone wars stuff. But for those who think that the CIS and Resistance should not be next to each other. Although technically the Resistance was acting against the will of the Republic. Think of Marques from DS9.

X_wing_alliance_Wheel.png

The problem is that right now the Rebel/Neutral/Imperial does not necessarily fit the Light/Balance/Dark that the primary factions match. Here is a chart for much like the Lawful-Chaos Good-Evil chart. 

X_wing_alignment_unfinished.png

Edited by Marinealver