Joe Boss Red Seven

DAT EPIC LAND WAR... YEAH IT KINDA FEELS LIKE IT'S COMING.

If they do a ground war tabletop, it has to be 15mm scale. If it is bigger, you can't accomodate vehicles, if you make it smaller, the all important Jedis will be hardly recognizable.

If GW can do titans in 28mm, FFG can do AT-ATs in 28mm.

You can make them, but they can't maneuver on a normal size table. May be not a problem with AT-AT as they hardly move at all, but think about AT-STs, let alone jetbikes.

Well I wouldn't say that 60km/h is "hardly move at all" ^^

Eh, I'd question why they'd want to enter what is generally described as a dying genre (the multiple d6 land war style) when they have their own adaptable flight path system to distance themselves and stabilise through...

The problem is, I've played a land war flight path system - troops in D&D attack wing - and it feels....wierd. And not especially realistic - doubly so when dealing with much more mobile walkers and loose mobs of infantry than formed up ranks of dudes. 

The Imperial Assault rules are nice; and it wouldn't be too hard to do a "zoomed out" version if you really wanted to.

As Magnus stated, the Lambda did have it's day....back in the day.

Besides that, one of the worst things about the Lambda was it's dial.  If combat went past it, it just couldn't turn around in time due to having a 2 red turn.  The rest of it's dial was pretty limiting, as well.  This isn't the case with the U-wing.  You won't have the problem of turning around to get into combat that you did with the Lambda.  The dial is significantly better than the Lambda.  That lone will make the change worth it.

Rebels have also been more of the synergy faction with different crews to do different things.  OK...Scum have outshined them recently, but Rebels were more about the synergy.  Rebels just have more Crew then the Imperials do that work well together.  So, I can see a support ship doing alright.  

I think this ship will not be a dud and will be more effective than the Lambda shuttle in today's meta.

Another point that makes me smile now that we have the goods; Dat LARGE Base. Yeah with Anti-Pursuit Lasers, and the zero move with torps on the hot.

Then there is the fun special move cards it comes with. YEAH This is a dam-good-ship.

Hello EPIC LAND WAR... Babies! 

_heart__rvmp_by_bad_blood.gif REB%2BU-WING.PNG_heart__rvmp_by_bad_blood.gif

Troopers are deployed at a base edge of your choice... and we have a LARGE BASE.

:lol:  :D  :)

Edited by Joe Boss Red Seven

A couple of other relevant threads (to avoid duplicate discussions).

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/199996-best-scale-for-an-at-at/

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/105371-dont-hassle-the-hoth/?hl=%20don

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/184000-star-wars-6mm-wargame/

I like the idea of keeping to the 1/270 (6 mm) scale as much as possible to keep things in the skirmish/ small tactical realm.

Oh the forthcoming Glory of it alls!!!

REB%2BX-WING%2BT-65%2BARM%2BSQD%2BAF1.PN

REB%2BX-WING%2BT-65%2BPARTISAN.png             REB%2BU-WING%2BWFL.PNG                                     REB%2BX-WING%2BT-65%2BPARTISAN.png                   REB%2BU-WING%2BWFL.PNG

REB%2BX-WING%2BT-65%2BPARTISAN.png      

REB%2BX-WING%2BT-65%2BBIGGS.PNG                  REB%2BX-WING%2BT-65%2BBIGGS.PNG           REB%2BU-WING.PNG

REB%2BX-WING%2BT-65%2BPARTISAN.png        REB%2BU-WING.PNG                      REB%2BU-WING.PNG                                          REB%2BX-WING%2BT-65%2BBIGGS.PNG

REB%2BX-WING%2BT-65%2BBIGGS.PNG                                                         REB%2BX-WING%2BT-65%2BBIGGS.PNG                  REB%2BU-WING.PNG             REB%2BX-WING%2BT-65%2BPARTISAN.png

REB%2BX-WING%2BT-65%2BPARTISAN.png                   REB%2BU-WING.PNG                           REB%2BX-WING%2BT-65%2BPARTISAN.png                                            REB%2BX-WING%2BT-65%2BBIGGS.PNG

I think you need one or two in the back with its wings forward facing the other way for the full glory

FOR DAT WEASEL!

Edited by Joe Boss Red Seven

My theory, fit what is worth seeing as I don't play anymore, is that the ground war portion of the game won't use models but rather just cardboard pinch outs like the ones for the sensors shuttle, escape pod, and squad mate. I envision a system for ground troops where you get essentially a POG that has an image, a name, unit type, and a firepower rating for anti infantry, and one for anti vehicle, and a health rating. A unit card keeps track of more stats. Movement similar to Armada fighters. A POG of Stormtroopers can move one range increment, shoot one range increment, no templates involved. Just slide the unit up to range one in any direction you want to go. Speeder bikes could move speed two. Heavy vehicles and gun emplacements could have the ability to shoot at range two. At the beginning of the round all ground units move, then planning phase starts and round continues to represent increased situational awareness of being airborne.

My theory, fit what is worth seeing as I don't play anymore, is that the ground war portion of the game won't use models but rather just cardboard pinch outs like the ones for the sensors shuttle, escape pod, and squad mate. I envision a system for ground troops where you get essentially a POG that has an image, a name, unit type, and a firepower rating for anti infantry, and one for anti vehicle, and a health rating. A unit card keeps track of more stats. Movement similar to Armada fighters. A POG of Stormtroopers can move one range increment, shoot one range increment, no templates involved. Just slide the unit up to range one in any direction you want to go. Speeder bikes could move speed two. Heavy vehicles and gun emplacements could have the ability to shoot at range two. At the beginning of the round all ground units move, then planning phase starts and round continues to represent increased situational awareness of being airborne.

As much as I'd rather see miniatures (and would probably steal some from Rebellion, or old MicroMachines), I think that your idea sounds more practical; kind of like using cardboard punchouts for asteroids as we do now.  Yes, lava rock on a flight stand LOOKS way cooler, but you can't really set the Outrider on top of a lava rock and expect it to stay balanced or hold the correct position between maneuvers...

If they want to do an epic game of Star Wars ground battles (a la Hoth), it might be better as a separate game, which uses off-map (because they're high above the battlefield) fighters for air support. You know, like the use of Star Destroyers and Ion Cannons in the Evacuation of Hoth campaign that came with the GR-75.  Basically, we can use cardboard to bridge the gap between our various gaming theaters.

That said, I hope to see a mass ground combat system for Star Wars, eventually; something that will (at reasonable cost and space) allow me to put 3 AT-ATs and some scout walkers on the table to support my faceless legions of Stormtroopers.

Eh, I'd question why they'd want to enter what is generally described as a dying genre (the multiple d6 land war style) when they have their own adaptable flight path system to distance themselves and stabilise through...

You could easily adapt the flight path system (particularly the Armada one) to ground units, with AT-ATs being the size of a small epic stomping on a group of stormtroopers.

Well, they have already announced both with Runewars. It is a ground war game that uses the dial and flightpath system.

All they need to do is something similar for Star Wars. Scaled appropriately, of course.