Sign in to follow this  
Kakita Shiro

The Dunwich Legacy

I wonder why they add already 5 investigators in the first deluxe expansion. Without any LCG experience, I thought that they would come later on in the cycle.

I suppose adventure pack will focus on challenges and cards to solve them, building on the already broad investigators list from the core set + Dunwich.

I wonder why they add already 5 investigators in the first deluxe expansion. Without any LCG experience, I thought that they would come later on in the cycle.

I suppose adventure pack will focus on challenges and cards to solve them, building on the already broad investigators list from the core set + Dunwich.

Easier to include the extra mini cards in a deluxe box and also gets increased variety for our decks faster. 

I think it may be because of how they wanted the character and story progression to be like. Since characters may gain weakness and possible card upgrades along the way, it is better for them to be there right at the start of the story rather than appearing part way. 

As has also been suggested, including investigators in the deluxe means that players have them all before the cycle starts. As the cycles have been suggested as campaigns, you would need your chosen investigator right at the beginning so releasing one in a mid-cycle pack would make them difficult to include in an existing campaign playthrough.

:)

I'm hoping we get a new investigator in each mythos pack.

We won't be for this first cycle at least. All five are in the deluxe and no reason to expect more than that. I fully expect them to be deluxe only with the whole mini cards thing too. I'd rather have them all at once like this.

We won't be for this first cycle at least. All five are in the deluxe and no reason to expect more than that. I fully expect them to be deluxe only with the whole mini cards thing too. I'd rather have them all at once like this.

Although there are Lotr saga expansions which have included five heroes.

Although there are Lotr saga expansions which have included five heroes.

Saga expansions from my understanding are a bit more unique than other deluxes for LotR

Because you get access to them for the whole campaign instead of awkwardly adding the in the middle.  Because of the desperate need for more characters as early as possible to get us through the beginning of the LCG where there's not nearly enough variety yet.  And because they know how to do a lot of things better now from their experiences with LotR.

Yep... Play 6 scenarios from 20 scenario campaign and then get new character... No good!

You have to have all characters before you start the campaign. Any other way they would be completely useless until the next campaign would start with the next deluxe...

Edited by Hannibal_pjv

It would be awkward to be halfway through a campaign and then buy an investigator you really really want to play and either slot them into the campaign (likely without any bonuses from previous stages) or have to go back and start over with the newbie.

I can fully see why they may well shove all the players into the deluxe ready for the cycles campaign mode

Yep... Play 6 scenarios from 20 scenario campaign and then get new character... No good!

You have to have all characters before you start the campaign. Any other way they would be completely useless until the next campaign would start with the next deluxe...

Unless, of course this game is like Eldritch Horror, where investigators are frequently disposable. Many is the game where the most prudent things was to kill off a beat-up investigator and replace him with a fresh one.

Actually I did not read the news about how campaign work as I prefer to avoid spoilers on this. So I do not know how the management of the investigator pool is done but it would make sense that it's better to have a broad list of investigators before starting the Dunwich legacy.

The only result you'll all achieve here is that I kill my profile and stop commenting on games. 

Talk about overreaction, eh.

Instant variety confirmed. Each investigator represents a class. Imagine if the game would have started like LotR, with APs and not with a Deluxe, then each player would be stuck with 1 investigator within class for a pretty long time. By releasing a Deluxe with additional 5 investigators, 1 of each class, the roster for each class literally doubles, which is a lot. On the other site, unlike LotR Deluxes, we get only 2 quests in this one.

Since I'm intending to play through campaigns multiple times the idea of getting more investigators overall is more important to me than the minor niggle they might produce by arriving toward the end of a campaign.

Edited by TomPow

Since I'm intending to play through campaigns multiple times the idea of getting more investigators overall is more important to me than the minor niggle they might produce by arriving toward the end of a campaign.

Yeah. Its a non-issue in my opinion because of replayability value.

I won't say I'm disappointed until I find out the length of those two scenarios, and the difference in the ratio between scenario and player cards between the deluxe set and mythos packs. If the deluxe set gives us a lot of player cards compared to the mythos packs, I might be okay, because then it's like equipping us early and cramming more story into the small packs.

The product review video said that there were multiple ways of building each scenario, probably meaning that different encounter sets are required for different difficulty levels.

This this will make it the equivalent of 2 scenarios + 2 nightmare decks, as opposed to 3 scenarios in a LOTR deluxe. I'm happy with that.

Just because she tests a lot of their games doesn't mean she tests them all. I've tested for three of their LCGs so far. And for IA. Plus my answer is for others who may not know that playtesters cannot reveal their status as per the NDA we all sign with FFG.

I did not knew she tests a lot, I only knew she tested MoM2.0. And my assumption is not based on how much games she tested for FFG in the past, but rather on how much insight into that unreleased game she has. By the way, if a person is not a tester, there is no NDA that forbids him from replying "no" to the question "r u a tester?", so "I can't answer that because NDA" is basically a "yes".

This is not correct, I always say "I cannot answer to this" because it's the most politically correct answer to me. My NDA requires me not to share any information of sort; saying "I wasn't a tester for this" is giving information in the same way as saying "I was a tester for this" and they are both wrong. So, for all games, even those I clearly don't test, my answer will always be "testers cannot disclose their eventual position as testers before release". Period.

In any case, I hardly think I have insight on this particular product, considering that I asked about frequency of cards and stuff. Had I been a tester, I'd have known, and not asked. What I post are thoughts and impressions, derived from articles and from general knowledge of games.

Now please can we move on? This has nothing to do with the Dunwich Legacy, it's barely of interest for anyone, and it's frankly getting annoying for me. The only result you'll all achieve here is that I kill my profile and stop commenting on games. I'm here because I believe in helping the community grow, in the same way the community helped me back in 2007 when I started playing Arkham Horror.

Back on topic, please

So what you are saying is that you won't tell me if there are Elves coming? :huh:

I kid! ;)

Question about this deluxe expansion:

Do you think we'll have to buy multiple copies like the core set to have viable deck building options?

I plan on always playing with 2 investigators, so buying two core sets gives you the option to pair up any investigators you want.

My main worry is that this formula will also apply to deluxe expansions.

Thoughts?