Sign in to follow this  
ViscerothSWG

When an ip license is lost - a new path forward

Oh, I'm very familiar with the trope, and it's just as insulting now as it has ever been. Someone invoking it and claiming that it's okay for them to do so because they read someone else calling it out as a negative elsewhere still isn't acceptable.

Sweet Jesus, first of all take the fires out before your chair catches fire

and then go and educate on the matter. Sheesh, I really do understand that it's a lost generation.

Okay, I think I see what you were trying to say- That the Ferengi seem at least partly based on an anti-semetic stereotype (similar accusations are made about Watto).  But can you see how, unless people were familiar...

Some people, even here, even outside of these boards, come from some weird generation that has their pants soaked in petroleum, running around, seeking anything to get offended with. 

In most cases not even understanding what they encounter, because their minds are controlled by key words.

They see JEW word and that's it, the spark jumps, time to wave hands in the air and scream ANTISEMITS!!11 ANTISEMITS EVERYWHERE!

Can only recommend one of such specimen to get more shields to avoid console fires.

Warpman, in this case you've offended at least 1 person, somebody who decided to be vocal about it. Perhaps there are others that don't want to react. Perhaps you don't want to admit it, but some people do get offended by this sort of stuff. Joke or not. Posting it on the internet is a sure way to draw attention because there will be always 1 person who gets offended.

Aaron Foss, I think Warpman is trying to tell you that he didn't mean it in a bad way and that it is blowing out of proportion now. It has already derailed the thread for 2 pages now. It seems to me that it, at most, was a misplaced joke, he shouldn't have done that, etc but don't make it bigger than it actually is. Anybody can be offended about anything, just because of the insinuation of possibly something more, which might or might not actually be there. It depends on how sensitive people are. 

It's not a very respectful thing to all those other people that don't want to see this thread locked.

Shake hands and continue, or continue this in private. Please!

Edited by Gridash

I've never imagined the Ferengis to be Jews. Jews have smaller ears.

Joke aside, you CANNOT map the Star Trek races to any population on earth without insulting people. Especially if you take lesser popular or in some kind extremistic Star Trek races.

Who would the Klingons be in your eyes? Germans? And I guess Starfleet of course are Americans. The good guys....

So just stop this right here.

Or FFGEvan will execute this topic.

Edited by TheRealStarkiller

Aaron Foss, I think Warpman is trying to tell you that he didn't mean it in a bad way and that it is blowing out of proportion now. It has already derailed the thread for 2 pages now. It seems to me that it, at most, was a misplaced joke, he shouldn't have done that, etc but don't make it bigger than it actually is. Anybody can be offended about anything, just because of the insinuation of possibly something more, which might or might not actually be there. It depends on how sensitive people are. 

It's not a very respectful thing to all those other people that don't want to see this thread locked.

Shake hands and continue, or continue this in private. Please!

Warp has had multiple posts to say anything remotely similar to what you are suggesting, but they have not yet done so. They have doubled down, attempted to deflect, insult, and mock, but they've come nowhere near even vaguely hinting at a statement in the area of "I made a very poor attempt at a joke, and it was obviously offensive. I both apologize for it, and understand that such a statement was completely inappropriate for this setting (and indeed, any social setting)".

Don't make it bigger than it actually is? We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one. I take the fostering of a strong, inclusive community free from bigotry and prejudice very seriously, and I absolutely find it more important than this super important speculation / complaint-fest about why a licensing deal was dropped between two hobby game companies.

If there are people who want to discuss the original topic, they are welcome to do so. If this thread is locked, there's nothing stopping them from continuing the discussion in a new thread. One that would, when created anew, be free of some random bigot dropping their hateful garbage onto it.

Continue this in private? Just be quiet and don't call out bigoted speech in public? I appreciate that you asked politely, but no. I will not be silent about this.

Some people, even here, even outside of these boards, come from some weird generation that has their pants soaked in petroleum, running around, seeking anything to get offended with. 

In most cases not even understanding what they encounter, because their minds are controlled by key words.

They see JEW word and that's it, the spark jumps, time to wave hands in the air and scream ANTISEMITS!!11 ANTISEMITS EVERYWHERE!

Can only recommend one of such specimen to get more shields to avoid console fires.

Man, you really just don't get it, do you?

There's nobody seeking a reason to be offended here. You literally drew a comparison between Jews and the Ferengi. The Ferengi are a fictional a species whose most commonly-presented and defining cultural traits are cowardice, deceitfulness, misogyny, and greed - all to extremes so large that they are caricatures. You apparently thought that this was somehow an acceptable parallel to draw.

This doesn't take some hyper-sensitive parody of a human "seeking anything to get offended with" to take offense to it. You literally invoked long-standing anti-semitic and hateful stereotypes of Jewish people in an attempt to be funny. The reason I'm calling you an anti-semite, is because based on your behavior you are.

The good news here is that this is not an incurable condition. Stop screaming about how you're some kind of innocent victim in this and that you're being unjustly attacked, and understand that you are actually saying something that is super offensive. Got that squared away? Good. Now take a moment, take a deep breath, and make an effort to not repeat the mistake.

I've never imagined the Ferengis to be Jews. Jews have smaller ears.

So just stop this right here.

Or FFGEvan will execute this topic.

Yeah, handy tip: that's not funny given the current context.

No. I won't stop. See above for why.

So about that license stuff.

This kind of thing was bound to happen sooner or later, honestly. If the IP is doing really well, the original owner is going to charge an outlandish fee for the other person to use the rights again or will just not allow them to do so in order for them to make more money off of being the only person to release things associated with the product. While I like what FFG is doing with other company's/people's licensed works in terms of board games, it is always a risk of using someone else's property. I kind of wish they wouldn't touch other properties as a result to be honest, but I guess people are attracted to brand recognition.

Heard a rumor that the relationship may have soured due to X-wing's success. And GW may have actually asked FFG to stop production on X-wing.

Which is just hilarious to me.

Very much in line with the hubris GW has shown over the years, if true.

Lessee. GW is now making board games with pretty miniatures as an increasingly big part of their lineup.

FFG producing under license is not only direct competition, they're at serious risk of doing GW games better than GW itself.

GW also makes minature wargames as their primary source of business.

FFG, with the star wars license in hand, *really is* doing it better than them.

They might have started off as reasonably chummy in the name of collaborative work, but they've now ended up almost as direct rivals as is physically possible...

It's no shock, then, that GW is pulling the plug. It's all fun and games until your ally bootstraps off of you into your biggest competitor. ;)

Thing is we've seen GW's attempt at rpg's in the form of inquisitor and it was a mess, letting another company do that was smart taking it away because they are having a hissy fit is not.

Ffg don't need GW, GW absolutely needed that licence money it was the only thing that saved this financial year.

Actually, what I am really hoping for is an FFG game in the vein of 40k, but based on the Twilight Imperium universe. It's an amazing world with a lot of potential, and with a good deal less misogyny. And no GW.

This! THIS, THIS THIS, THIS THIS, THIS!!!!

Twilight Imperium Wars, Twilight Imperium Armada, Twilight Imperium RPG, Twilight Imperium Assault, even Twilight Imperium Wing.

I would drop all the Star Wars games and invest heavily in ALL of those in a heartbeat. The TI universe is one of the best sci-fi gaming universes to be created in decades, well developed history, lots of room for conflict, clearly identifiable factions, most of which are not obvious good guys or bad guys and can reasonable fight or work together with each other.

It just needs a solid mass appeal game that can be played in less than 6 hours.

GW absolutely needed that licence money it was the only thing that saved this financial year.

GW has been staying afloat due to licenses for several years now, but it has been primarily licenses for video games. I kinda doubt the fees from FFG amounted to all that much.

True the whored out their IP to anyone who'd pay last year which is why there's 50 awful mobile games out there, we did get some good pc games out of it though.

But ffgs stuff certainly added to the usual 1.6 mill they made from licensing, most of this year's bump had to be total warhammer and that's not something you can count on.

And with their annual sales still dropping its poor business to lose any revenue.

While I understand the competition between their miniature games, I really hate losing the PnP RPGs. I've ran Dark Heresy for years, and have Deathwatch, Black Crusade, Rogue Trader, etc. I've slacked off picking up books for the last few years because my local gaming group is going through a Pathfinder phase, but I'm not looking forward to these game lines going away.

While GW may get another publisher, I doubt they will self-publish, as they killed their previous PnP games and gave them to FFG in the first place because they were not able to do anything with them.

I guess I better get on buying up what books I can before (too late) they all get jacked up in price.

Edited by kris40k

Heard a rumor that the relationship may have soured due to X-wing's success. And GW may have actually asked FFG to stop production on X-wing.

Not just X-Wing, mind, but to drop the Star Wars license, entirely, if FFG wanted to keep the GW licenses.

Which, I mean...yeah.  GW equal to Star Wars as an IP...in their own heads, maybe!

Not just X-Wing, mind, but to drop the Star Wars license, entirely, if FFG wanted to keep the GW licenses.

Which, I mean...yeah.  GW equal to Star Wars as an IP...in their own heads, maybe!

Any source to this rumour?