Sign in to follow this  
SteveyC2000

Confused about Predator and Prey Card, please help

Hi everyone,

I am new to Imperial Assault and need some help.

I just picked up the Boba Fett pack and I am very confused about the card "Predator and Prey" (P&P from now on)

I know it is an Agenda card for the IMP, but I am completely confused as to how it works.

At the end of a mission as the IMP player I would have gained influence, and if I draw P&P I can spend 3 influence to acquire it.

My confusion comes from the description of how the card is played

For starters

"Play this card as side mission Predator and Prey"

Does this mean even if the hero players have chosen a side mission from the two that get drawn that the IMP player forces them into P&P anyway? And would those two side mission cards just get shuffled back into their deck?

Second Part

"After the heroes resolve any other side mission, discard this card and receive the reward listed below (which is Boba Fett Villain)"

This is equally confusing because I thought the IMP player had to win P&P to acquire Boba Fett as a villain.

So there it is, any help would be greatly appreciated. I am also new to the forum so if this has been explained or is in the wrong spot already I apologize.

Agenda missions played by the imperial player are added to the side mission pool the rebel heroes have to choose from. If the rebel heroes choose to ignore your mission and play one of their side missions you simply earn the reward which is the ability to bring Boba on any future missions. If the rebel heroes choose to play your agenda side mission, you would continue as normal and the agenda side mission will use up one of the side mission slots on the back of the book for the campaign, the caveat here is that the rebels in an attempt to deny you Boba give up one of their side missions which can produce some nice rewards. Also, if they chose to do your agenda side mission, the two side missions they have on the table remain, no new cards are drawn. I hope this made sense.

(repetition is always good)

When you buy an agenda side mission, it becomes an active mission.

When it is time for the rebels to choose a side mission (according to the campaig log), they can now choose from 3 (or more, if there are more active agenda side missions) alternatives. Their choice of a mission is then resolved. If the played side mission wasn't any of the active agenda side missions, do what the card(s) say - the imperial player gains the rewards and the card(s) are discarded.

You only draw a new side mission from the side mission deck if a (non-threat), non-agenda side mission was played.

(There can also be agenda forced missions. If you purchase one of those, the mission is played immediately, regardless of what the next mission slot says, and it doesn't take a side mission slot. You mark it separately in the forced missions section.)

Edited by a1bert

I keep looking at Boba's 13 points and feeling sad.  They really need to errata the old uniques or put out something to make them work.  Play Boba Fett from your open groups, get an Imperial Probe Droid for free!

Thanks everybody that really helps.

Couple more questions just to clarify everything.

a1bert:

Is Predator and Prey a forced agenda mission?

Gallagher:

If the Rebels choose not to do Predator and Prey and I receive Boba Fett as a reward for them not choosing it. Does Boba then become a deployment card that I can put into an open group of any mission? I thought unique characters eg. Vader were not allowed to be put into open groups, and I only have the base game so I don't think it calls for Boba to be in any of the reserve groups. Plus with a cost of 13 would I ever really be able to deploy him as the IMP player?

Predator and Prey is an agenda side mission. (Not a forced agenda mission. There are couple of forced agenda missions in the core box:  Impounded and Wanted. The Forced Agenda missions cost 4 influence.)

Yes, if you win Boba Fett as a villain, you can choose him into your open groups. The same applies to any other unique villain, you can not choose them unless you have won them as rewards first. You still need to pay the deployment cost. Whether you can afford that depends on what other resources you have. The Imperial Informants and High-Value Target agenda cards would help you there.

Edited by a1bert

(repetition is always good)

Actually if I recall, when you buy the side mission it just sits in your hand, it is when you *play* It that it becomes an active mission.

Actually if I recall, when you buy the side mission it just sits in your hand, it is when you *play* It that it becomes an active mission.
All agenda side missions say to play them. There is no choice. You can't keep them secret to save them and play them later.

For all purchased agenda cards you follow the text on the card. Some say to keep them secret, some say to place into the play area, and a few other types. Agenda side missions say to play them (which means they become active side missions), forced missions say to play the mission as a forced mission (which means play immediately before the next mission).

Edited by a1bert

The best time for the imperial player to purchase agenda side missions is when you have a story mission coming next. Then you have the possibility that you are able to purchase another agenda side mission, and the rebels need to choose between two agenda side missions and two side missions. Whatever they select, you get one reward automatically after the mission.

Doesn't happen often though, and you need to save influence and/or win the story mission and be lucky enough to draw an agenda side mission.