Sign in to follow this  
KrisSherriff

I got to Speak to Frank Brooks at the NOVA Open

Whenever you post something I hope for improvement. But it never happens, the audio is still bad and the content is still mediocre.

This really added to the conversation.

Thanks. I hope he listens.

That was sarcasm, as the initial comment was neither constructive nor polite.

In the name of constructive criticism, then:

1) Pre-check your audio. For whatever reason, your interviewee comes across clear as a bell, while you yourself are somewhat muffled. While in this case that's somewhat preferable (after all, you're around to confirm what was said later, while the other guy wouldn't be), it's an odd oversight given it's your own kit.

2) While the interview is appreciated, remember this is an interview, and one with a relatively elusive figure that has a lot of background information to be able to share if he gets the chance, and that we're still nowhere near reaching saturation point on. Thus, I would highly encourage a little tighter discipline in discussion - more questions, less reminiscing. "Hanging out with Frank Brooks for half an hour" is no doubt an awesome opportunity, and on any other video you may of course feel free to expound upon your own experiences and opinions (This is, after all, 90% of the average podcasts content!), but when interviewing it's worthwhile to avoid going on lengthly tangents unless they're trying to reach a very specific point. Another way to think of it - your goal is to guide their exposition in as personable manner as possible, not be be the exposition yourself.

Edited by Reiver

Did he say anything about gunboats?

Not listening unless he said something about gunboats...

:ph34r:

Agreed. I just dislike how many lists that they push out of the meta.

The first commentor was talking about the Assualt Gunboat aka the Star Wing. A missle carrier for Imperials mostly that looks similar to a scaled down lands shuttle with a lot of missiles attached to it, as opposed to the jumpmaster.

Is it just me or does Frank seem really disinterested in X-wing talk? Maybe it was a good thing Kris didn't really make this an "interview" per se, because I'm not sure Frank really cares about the game much anymore and is happy for time away from it.

Yeah I got that too... very clearly. he needs to go do something else.

;)

Thanks for taking the time Kris, always good to hear from the FFG guys  :)

On a slightly different note, whilst I watch all your X-Wing preview videos I would definitely like to hear more from you about build ideas and what works with what. I'm not the greatest at working lists out myself so to hear your thoughts would be very useful, if that delayed the video then so be it.

Is it just me or does Frank seem really disinterested in X-wing talk? Maybe it was a good thing Kris didn't really make this an "interview" per se, because I'm not sure Frank really cares about the game much anymore and is happy for time away from it.

Yeah I got that too... very clearly. he needs to go do something else.

;)

DIBS ON HIS JOB!

I got the sense that he was talking about work he did a year ago on X-wing, and since he's on RuneWars now, that's what he's more excited about.

It got me to watch Kris' RuneWars video, though, and check it out on FFG's site, so there's that. Not interested enough to pick it up though ... repackage it in a Star Wars theme with AT-ATs and Snowspeeders for a Ground Assault game and they'll have my attention.

Constructive criticism: Kris, man, get some rest before doing your videos.  You look and sound so tired in a lot of them I have difficulty staying interested. You're like one yawn away from falling asleep on camera.

Based on his constantly reversed email decisions and the ships packs he designed, so am I.

In the name of constructive criticism, then:

1) Pre-check your audio. For whatever reason, your interviewee comes across clear as a bell, while you yourself are somewhat muffled. While in this case that's somewhat preferable (after all, you're around to confirm what was said later, while the other guy wouldn't be), it's an odd oversight given it's your own kit.

I think that has to do with his accent and not the equipment.   I find him harder to understand on his other videos too.

2) While the interview is appreciated, remember this is an interview, and one with a relatively elusive figure that has a lot of background information to be able to share if he gets the chance, and that we're still nowhere near reaching saturation point on. Thus, I would highly encourage a little tighter discipline in discussion - more questions, less reminiscing. "Hanging out with Frank Brooks for half an hour" is no doubt an awesome opportunity, and on any other video you may of course feel free to expound upon your own experiences and opinions (This is, after all, 90% of the average podcasts content!), but when interviewing it's worthwhile to avoid going on lengthly tangents unless they're trying to reach a very specific point. Another way to think of it - your goal is to guide their exposition in as personable manner as possible, not be be the exposition yourself.

The impression I have of this conversation was that it was a target of opportunity that Kris stumbled upon.  Note that he titled the thread "I got to talk to Frank Brooks at the NOVA Open" not "I interviewed Frank Brooks."   He's a fanboy and he just geeked out with an FFG guy for a half hour.  It's unfortunate that he didn't meet your expectations of a professionally produced BBC documentary.