Sign in to follow this  
clanofwolves

...help me attempt to get the Empire some justice please.

This is a bit off X-wing, but I know you guys can assist; I just know it!

OK, so I love X-Wing and think the miniatures are awesome; and I love looking at the custom jobs on this forum (especially the Lambda repaints: fantastical. However, I'm not painting guru nor do I attempt such things yet on my beloved game pieces. But, I received an iHome Bluetooth Speaker and the speaker and lights are awesome, but the paint job on this model is kind of silvery gray which is not in any way up to Imperial Fleet standards. I know the light openings are too large and the speaker in the rear is a grill; that all can stay as done; it's fine for what it is....but can I get some simple ideas to make the hull body a bit more realistic and cannon?

Thanks!!!!

maxresdefault.jpg

I don't think you want to pull the thing apart to paint right?

I'd mask the lighted windows, and spray paint white or gray primer (depending on which look you're going for) on the ship, then come back with a thinned wash of nuln oil (3:1, water to nuln oil) and finish off with either a quick drybrush of a light gray or some edge higlighting. If I had the time & motivation, I'd do both.

Aside from the edge highlighting, if you go that route, it should be a pretty quick process.

Good luck, and post pics after it's done.

I don't think you want to pull the thing apart to paint right?

I'd mask the lighted windows, and spray paint white or gray primer (depending on which look you're going for) on the ship, then come back with a thinned wash of nuln oil (3:1, water to nuln oil) and finish off with either a quick drybrush of a light gray or some edge higlighting. If I had the time & motivation, I'd do both.

Aside from the edge highlighting, if you go that route, it should be a pretty quick process.

Good luck, and post pics after it's done.

Thanks!!!

I do have one question for you: how do I perform edge highlighting?

Again, thanks!

Actually I'd keep away from the spray. Masking all those windows will be a real pain. You will have more control with a brush. I'm also not a big fan of the edge highlighting either as it takes lots of practice and sometimes doesn't yield the subtle results you may want, especially if you aren't confident to start with.

I would just give the whole ship a coat of medium grey and then when that's dry, give it a drybrushing with a lighter shade of grey. Successive drybrushing will lighten the overall colour and the darker shade underneath should slowly disappear from the raised panels but still show in the recesses. All you require will be two pots of paint and one brush. You also won't need to worry about a wash. It's just a speaker, not a gaming model. Just keep drybrushing in the same direction, probably from bow to stern, and you will end up with simple results from a simple technique.

Actually I'd keep away from the spray. Masking all those windows will be a real pain. You will have more control with a brush. I'm also not a big fan of the edge highlighting either as it takes lots of practice and sometimes doesn't yield the subtle results you may want, especially if you aren't confident to start with.

I would just give the whole ship a coat of medium grey and then when that's dry, give it a drybrushing with a lighter shade of grey. Successive drybrushing will lighten the overall colour and the darker shade underneath should slowly disappear from the raised panels but still show in the recesses. All you require will be two pots of paint and one brush. You also won't need to worry about a wash. It's just a speaker, not a gaming model. Just keep drybrushing in the same direction, probably from bow to stern, and you will end up with simple results from a simple technique.

I nod my head in deference to your greater experience.

For those without the necessary experience, it pays to keep it simple. And the OP did state he wasn't a painting guru. :)

For those without the necessary experience, it pays to keep it simple. And the OP did state he wasn't a painting guru. :)

Thanks for all the advice!

I will not be masking the windows as it comes apart in two pieces easily with four screws located on the underside. I'll follow your advice an post a before and after. Here's to improving our world's visual aesthetics one piece at a time!

.....then come back with a thinned wash of nuln oil (3:1, water to nuln oil) and finish off with either a quick drybrush of a light gray or some edge higlighting. If I had the time & motivation, I'd do both.

I've taken it apart, masked the parts not to be painted and put three that n layers of gray primer on it. I have the nuln oil; do I seal the model first or paint the entire model with the nuln oil reduction?

Edited by clanofwolves

Agreed. It looks vicious! How's the sound quality on this?

I have a friend with the falcon; its speaker faces the bottom support and doesn't sound nearly as good, as this ship has it elegantly pointing out the back as the center engine. I'd put this (sound-wise) up against any other single speaker unit; sounds nice. And, thanks to you guys, looks much more Imperial.

Edited by clanofwolves